Quantcast
Active & Passive Monitors?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Active & Passive Monitors??
Old 23rd November 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Active & Passive Monitors??

Hi there, I know the obvious difference between active and pasive monitors which is that active has it's own built in amp where as passive requires a seperate but are there any other differences between the two?? I'm doing a bit of coursework and need as much info as possible...

Thanks

Rob...
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Different amps will of course make the same model speakers sound differently. Some only come in active like Adam, Barefoot, etc... I used to use PMC TB2/Bryston... when I tried out the TB2A, I didn't like it... sounded not as good as the ones I used with a Bryston...
Old 23rd November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In my setup, adding a passive MC without feeding the active monitors too
hot (SPL MTC + Cranesong pads), let the monitors "breath" a little.
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Beers ➡️
Hi there, I know the obvious difference between active and passive monitors which is that active has it's own built in amp where as passive requires a separate but are there any other differences between the two?? I'm doing a bit of coursework and need as much info as possible...

Thanks

Rob...
No - this is not true!

There are *3* types of monitor:-

Active
These have a separate power amplifier for each driver. The line-input to the cabinet first goes to an electronic crossover which then feeds the correct frequencies to each amplifier which, in turn, drive a single driver. So a two-way monitor has two amplifiers, a three way will have three amplifiers, etc...

Powered
These have a single amplifier (internal or external screwed to the back) which drives a passive crossover feeding all drivers. This monitor is *not* an active monitor.

Passive
These have an internal passive crossover and are fed from an external power amplifier.

I hope this makes it clear.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist ➡️
... when I tried out the TB2A, I didn't like it... sounded not as good as the ones I used with a Bryston...
The TB2A is *not* an active monitor.

It's a *powered* monitor - it is a passive loudspeaker with a Flying Mole amplifier bolted to the back.

And, yes, the passive version powered by a Bryston would be much better (and a lot more expensive, of course).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Kinda depends on how old the TB2As were.
Before PMC switched to Flying Mole amps they used… Bryston powerpacs!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Every monitor lies or better, has a story to tell or better, has its own way to tell the "story" I made.
In my opinion, it's better to have some different monitors ... just to check it out.
Cheap, expensive ... to me they should sound like someone Hi or Lo Fi system.
Making speakers is magic tho ...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…