Quantcast
DeOxIt! Good/Bad/Indifferent? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DeOxIt! Good/Bad/Indifferent?
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
DeOxIt! Good/Bad/Indifferent?

Have a few noisy pots on the console... pulled a few modules and gave 'em a quick shot of DeOxIt Gold... Seemed the do the trick. Any reasons I shouldn't use this product? Long-term effects? Just curious to get some opinions...
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use regular Deoxit all the time for just this purpose. Did it yesterday, in fact. Not good for some faders, so try to keep it out.
Old 21st November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
YES

Unless one has a lot of dust around, as I did for a few years, it's great.
But remember, it leaves a mildly sticky resdue which can attract dust which then has to be cleaned off. You get kind of addicted to the stuff - but if you keep up with using plastic-safe spray cleaner and DeOXIT in sequence, it improves things in many ways. Stuff sounds better. Really.

Buy wooden swabs with pure cotton tips from a medical supply house, the ones in the sterilizable packs. Put the cotton tip into the male end of an XLR cable. Spray enough DeOXIT in to wet the tip, using the straw for the nozzle.
Now, let the straw dribble onto the end of the wooden applicator. It should coat it fairly well. Now you have a tool to clean XLR connectors. After spraying with the Blue Shower or whatever they call it now (contact cleaner)
and it's dry, insert the wood end into the female XLR and twirl. Fits perfectly, most times. Black oxidation will probably emerge on that tip. The other end is for males. If you do you entire studio with this method with mods for 1/4", TT, etc., there will be a not-so-subtle change for the better in your high end and in general. Oxidation acts as many thousands of tiny diodes to rob you of precious signal, altering the high end and smearing phase and other bad stuff. I'm not a scientist, but do the flashlight test on the DeOXIT website and you'll be amazed. Get a little OCD with this, doing your power cables, and anything conductive in your place you feel will be OK with DeOXIT, and the benefits will be great.

The method above saves product and mess, and the female XLR trick is very cool.
Old 22nd November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A friend in Europe recommended tesanol t6 over deoxit
but now tesanol is illegal in USA

I heard that the company that made tesanol was going to lose their patent becuase of expiration on patent

so they lobbied congress to make tesanol illegal due to ozone regulations( I heard t6 is not really so bad for ozone because the molecules in tesanol are so heavy they cannot reach the atmosphere)

The they slightly change tesanol formula re patent it And brand it as deoxit....
But deoxit doesn't work as well :(. If anyone can confirm this I'd like to know because this is something I heard

I called tesanol in Germany after searching google shopping for t6

they told me it was illegal to sell t6 in USA because of environmental laws

I'd hate to have to use deoxit bezuase of that residue it leaves behind. What is the point of cleaning a pot with cleaner which leaves a residue which attaracts dust

maybe it's good for deoxit cause they sell more product sense after u clean pot residue Is left which attracts grime. I don't know the more I read about deoxit I don't want to use it cause of the residue

if someone is selling t6 or knows where to purchase it in the states pls let me know
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkooloid ➑️
Unless one has a lot of dust around, as I did for a few years, it's great.
But remember, it leaves a mildly sticky resdue which can attract dust which then has to be cleaned off. You get kind of addicted to the stuff - but if you keep up with using plastic-safe spray cleaner and DeOXIT in sequence, it improves things in many ways. Stuff sounds better. Really.

Buy wooden swabs with pure cotton tips from a medical supply house, the ones in the sterilizable packs. Put the cotton tip into the male end of an XLR cable. Spray enough DeOXIT in to wet the tip, using the straw for the nozzle.
Now, let the straw dribble onto the end of the wooden applicator. It should coat it fairly well. Now you have a tool to clean XLR connectors. After spraying with the Blue Shower or whatever they call it now (contact cleaner)
and it's dry, insert the wood end into the female XLR and twirl. Fits perfectly, most times. Black oxidation will probably emerge on that tip. The other end is for males. If you do you entire studio with this method with mods for 1/4", TT, etc., there will be a not-so-subtle change for the better in your high end and in general. Oxidation acts as many thousands of tiny diodes to rob you of precious signal, altering the high end and smearing phase and other bad stuff. I'm not a scientist, but do the flashlight test on the DeOXIT website and you'll be amazed. Get a little OCD with this, doing your power cables, and anything conductive in your place you feel will be OK with DeOXIT, and the benefits will be great.

The method above saves product and mess, and the female XLR trick is very cool.
I couldn't bring myself to use a solution in my patchbay... burnishing about 2x/yr seems to work just fine for me.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuez ➑️

I'd hate to have to use deoxit bezuase of that residue it leaves behind. What is the point of cleaning a pot with cleaner which leaves a residue which attaracts dust

I bought a couple of cans and I don't like the oily residue it leaves behind either.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
A trade-off for sure, but I'll worry about dust when I'm dead. Meanwhile, my modest cables and connectors sound better. What they're for, right? Your grandkids can live without whatever gets ruined!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkooloid ➑️
A trade-off for sure, but I'll worry about dust when I'm dead. Meanwhile, my modest cables and connectors sound better. What they're for, right? Your grandkids can live without whatever gets ruined!
Yea u got a good point. Better to have it working then not

it just sucks being forced to use an inferior product
I'd have no problem using dexoit if it didN t have that residue
But using a product which seemingly solves a problem only to immediatly leave a residue which attracts that same problem is disheartening

Deoxit just seems like a bandaid / temporary solution compared to what I heard about tesanol t6

Bump please if anyone knows how we can get t6 in the states
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Residue?? Crap, I've been using this stuff for years. Haven't noticed any adverse effects yet, but I'm only using on my guitar gear, amp knobs, pedals, etc. I hope it doesn't build up a residue. I paid good money for my equipment.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you should have any problems with it. A good pot cleaner should clean it and leave some lubrication behind.

I used Electrowash Tuner Lube for the longist time, until it was discontinued due to the CFC content.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was wondering about deoxit D5 vs DN5 (the quick drying stuff). That would be less likely to attact dust etc wouldn't it. I wonder if for pots though it would dry to quickly so you couldnt get chance to turn them and work it in properly
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
DeOxIt is an amazing product that I have used since the mid-1990s with only good results.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Do I want D5 or F5 (or gold) for oberheim pots or D5 followed by F5?
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
They also makes a non-residue contact cleaner for high voltage applications, so, if you're concerned about residue that'd be fine. For pots, though, I think they're designed to have some slight lubrication and I'd be reluctant to use a solvent cleaner that doesn't replace it.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…