Quantcast
SUMMARY: The Reason Most ITB mixes don’t Sound as good as Analog mixes - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SUMMARY: The Reason Most ITB mixes don’t Sound as good as Analog mixes
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SUMMARY: The Reason Most ITB mixes don’t Sound as good as Analog mixes

How about a bullet point summary...........
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sure! nice of you to offer!
Old 21st November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
point one:
Attached Thumbnails
SUMMARY: The Reason Most ITB mixes don’t Sound as good as Analog mixes-outbox.jpg  
Old 21st November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'll have a go at starting, just add to or delete anything patently wrong! But I'll keep it short.

• Many people hear what they want to hear, especially when they have invested so much time, emotion, energy and money exclusively into analogue.
  • Investing a massive amount of time, emotion, energy and money into something usually means you are going to be able to get a far better result over something you are less familiar with, however subjective the inherent benefits of your preferred working medium are.
  • The technology, some terms, and many of the approaches required for a good itb mix are different to an otb mix. Therefore it is taking time for the knowledge to cross over successfully.
  • For those that are new to the game, with no background in analogue, progress has still been slower than would otherwise be the case thanks to the (continuing) proliferation of wholly innaccurate information, especially in those areas that newcomers tradiitonally turn to as learning resources.
  • The technology has changed significantly over a very short period of time, compounding the 2 problems listed directly above.
  • Most of the bias and pre-judgement arises from the fact that a large majority of 'all itb' users are amateurs.
  • I missed this at first, but probably one of the most important it seems to me, is that otb mixing involves a more profound level of aural perception due to fewer demands on the visual cortex, whereby itb mixing has the opposite effect.
Old 22nd November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
So, could we then have just summed it up even more succinctly with:
  1. Stupidity
  2. Lack of Magic Juice
I dunno. The whole thing seems pretty obvious to me, but I guess it takes a lot of discussion to figure that out. It's not a tape machine and it's not a console, so don't expect it to do to the sound what a tape machine and console does. If you want those effects, you have to get them in other ways. And you don't need to record super-hot.
Harmless Wacko

🎧 15 years
1.) Gain scheduling is vitally important in any audio transduction system. Even crappy ones.

2.) There are no Polo grounds in Blue Island IL.

3.) Some people in the town apparently don't like tea and crumpets.

4.) Sad current fact appears to be: Most people you will meet in Blue Island have never actually HAD tea and crumpets. Most probably never will.

4b.) Other people in the city actually can't afford tea and crumpets anymore with the collapse of the world polo economy, and would like to conveniently forget this little fact and instead focus on how messy they could be to serve regularly, back when they COULD afford them...

Not surprisingly, those still playing polo and eating crumpets, often have trouble taking these individuals seriously, noting that they issue these statements whilst choking down Dunkin Donuts at the bus stop.

Sadly, many persons there in Blue Island(not so mysteriously) become totally enraged about the whole tea and crumpets subject.

I've been told that some suspect this is because these 4.)type of individuals have seen folks on TV enjoying the living f*ck outta tea and crumpets and have decided "they are elitist bastards".

This reportedly now has also become the unlikely mantra of some of the 4b.) bunch.

That particular group of persons, in fact, seem to get the most hurt in the ass about the subject of all the various polo/tea and crumpet detractors. Some have even been known to purchase plastic blow-up polo ponies and flog them wildly while guzzling snapple and pork rinds. Often shouting various anti-polo rhetoric as they assemble and embark on routine "Crush the Crumpet" street demonstrations.

5.) Ironically, and most tellingly, many folks who have tea and crumpets every day still seem to find them amazing, and are often heard to remark on how a good polo mallet makes an excellent weapon in a pinch.

No really, you can kill somebody with one.

Get away with it too.. if you can prove it was self defense.

SM.

PS. This is supposed to be funny. Kinda.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperman ➡️
1.) Gain scheduling is vitally important in any audio transduction system. Even crappy ones.

4.) Sad current fact appears to be: Most people you will meet in Blue Island have never actually HAD tea and crumpets. Most probably never will.

4b.) Other people in the city actually can't afford tea and crumpets anymore with the collapse of the world polo economy, and would like to conveniently forget this little fact and instead focus on how messy they could be to serve regularly, back when they COULD afford them...

Not surprisingly, those still playing polo and eating crumpets, often have trouble taking these individuals seriously, noting that they issue these statements whilst choking down Dunkin Donuts at the bus stop.

Sadly, many persons there in Blue Island(not so mysteriously) become totally enraged about the whole tea and crumpets subject.

I've been told that some suspect this is because these 4.)type of individuals have seen folks on TV enjoying the living f*ck outta tea and crumpets and have decided "they are elitist bastards".

This reportedly now also become the unlikely mantra of the 4b.) bunch.

That particular group of persons, in fact, seem to get the most hurt in the ass about the subject of all the various polo/tea and crumpet detractors. Some have even been known to purchase plastic blow-up polo ponies and flog them wildly while guzzling snapple and pork rinds. Often shouting various anti-polo rhetoric as they assemble and embark on routine "Crush the Crumpet" street demonstrations.

5.) Ironically, and most tellingly, many folks who have tea and crumpets every day still seem to find them amazing, and are often heard to remark on how a good polo mallet makes an excellent weapon in a pinch.

SM.

HAHAHA Awesome.... Well done
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Some have even been known to purchase plastic blow-up polo ponies and flog them wildly while guzzling snapple and pork rinds.
LOL! I'm still recovering from that one.. heh
Old 28th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

This reportedly now has also become the unlikely mantra of some of the 4b.) bunch.

SM.

You Win the Internet! <---- Please visit this kind sir!
Old 5th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Ripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman ➡️

SM.

What would you rather touch or use? A real Nipple or a virtual nipple? I will take a real one ANY day!
Digital is fine If you need to get a song down etc.......I get it.
But what I do not get is its samples and simulations of the REAL thing!!! ATR 102 tape simulators?
I kind of look at it as Tape is to Pro audio what Tube amp is to electric guitar.
Not that it matters but Its just my 2 cents......
:-)
Old 5th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslstrat ➡️
What would you rather touch or use? A real Nipple or a virtual nipple?
:-)
Problem here is they are all virtual nipples pick your virtual nipple and be happy! Unless a band is playing in front of you with no amplification they are all virtual and just a preferred capture medium!
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear

I'll summarize. There isn't enough sonic difference between the two for the average music listener to even notice. That's a fact. The only people who even think they know the difference is us. And most of the time everyone is guessing whether something is analog or digital. If that statement isn't true then why do folks here google search to see which engineer works ITB vs OTB. I see these posts all the time here "I read somewhere that so and so mixed this hit song totally ITB" If there was any real difference, you would have known when you heard the song in the first place.
Ultimately most of it will be scrubbed down to an MP3 and listened to on a laptop, Alexa, Google home, or a phone. And there's nobody here who will convince me that at that stage of the game you can tell the difference.
Can you tell the difference in your treated studio? Maybe. So does it really matter? No. I challenge anyone here to let a friend who is just a casual music listener hear two mixes of the same song on their listening device of choice, let them here one mix dry, and the 2nd mix with reverb, and they won't know the difference. They don't care. Only we care. The name of the game is the song. Does it touch someone?, does the listener connect with the song?
Think about it.
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
back to the wire recorder i say!
Old 5th January 2019
Gear Guru

Not the same here without Slipperman I say!
And where's Fletcher, when you need him?
Chris
Old 6th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
Not the same here without Slipperman I say!
And where's Fletcher, when you need him?
Chris
Second that, and Thrillfactor...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…