Quantcast
Jules in Berlin! Want to meet up for coffee and one of Kennedy's jelly doughnuts - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jules in Berlin! Want to meet up for coffee and one of Kennedy's jelly doughnuts
Old 17th May 2003
Jules in Berlin! Want to meet up for coffee and one of Kennedy's jelly doughnuts

'I Am a Jelly Doughnut'

"Dear Guide:

I have heard and read from several different sources the story that John F. Kennedy made a major German language blunder in his famous "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech in Berlin, Germany. The story goes that he should have said "Ich bin Berliner" ("I am a citizen of Berlin"), and that "Ich bin ein Berliner" really means "I am a jelly doughnut." (A "Berliner" is in fact a type of jelly doughnut made in Berlin.) One of my German instructors even claimed this is true, and I once saw it published in a major American magazine, although I forget which one.

Several years ago when I visited Germany, I found myself having drinks with a German journalist who struck me as fairly intelligent, so I asked her the question. She said that it is certainly not true. President Kennedy said the phrase absolutely correctly, although possibly with a thick American accent. It seems that the German language is simply not that trivial – it has subtleties that very few non-native speakers grasp. She said that if President Kennedy had said "Ich bin Berliner," he would have sounded silly because with his heavy accent he couldn't possibly have come from Berlin. But by saying "Ich bin ein Berliner," he actually said "I am one with the people of Berlin." This is her exact translation as best I can remember it.

I believe, although someone would have to verify it, that President Kennedy actually didn't know German very well, if at all. He had a German journalist translate the phrase for him, and that journalist coached him at length on exactly how to say the phrase. "

I will be in Berlin May 22nd - 26th PM me with your phone number if you want to meet up one afternoon.
Old 18th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Eddie Izzard does an excellent bit on the Kennedy Berlin speach in his "Dressed to Kill" show. The show overall is one of the best comedy displays I've ever seen.
Old 18th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
EI is one funny muther-****er.
Old 18th May 2003
So Kosi of Prinzlaurberg area has gotten in touch, any other Berliners wanna meet up for a beer / coffee?

Berlin Gearslutz meeting

Jules
Kosi
???????
Old 19th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jules I'd love to but Munich is a spot too far from Berlin.

Peter
Old 19th May 2003
Thanks anyway, be nice to meet you one day. When is the Munich AES?

So far meeting in Berlin are...

Jules
Nirto Karsten Fischer
Kosi

By the way, I lived in Berlin for 2 years 1991 - 1993, I used to hang around in Kreutzberg (I ran a indy / rock club there every Wednesday at the Turbine Club) & Charlotenburg, Mitte was just developing with cool bars starting everywhere & and a LOT of building work. I never made it to Prinzlauerberg which I understand is vey trendy now..
Old 21st May 2003
Lets try to meet up on the weekend one day!
Old 22nd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jules,

AES Convention in Munich was first half of May last year. Couldn't find any info on it for this year. But 2004 will be in Berlin. Oh well...

Pete
Old 22nd May 2003
2004 it is then!

See you there!

πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…