Quantcast
Triton Audio D2O 500-series mic pre - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Triton Audio D2O 500-series mic pre
Old 14th February 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
really nobody ? War.. did you listen to them ? How do they keep up in terms of the "telefunken spirit".

Kind regards
Old 23rd February 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I guess I ll have to bump this until finally somebody listend to them..
Old 14th March 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
cant believe.. there are no opinions on the actual batch of units yet.. nobody listenend to these ?

kind regards
Old 14th March 2012
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Good stuff to our ears...don't have the old originals around to compare to, but we like this new design and are stocking them.
Old 16th March 2012 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomteontour ➑️
really nobody ? War.. did you listen to them ? How do they keep up in terms of the "telefunken spirit".

Kind regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomteontour ➑️
I guess I ll have to bump this until finally somebody listend to them..
i'll give them a good thumbs up.
i will be working and a article with them in the near future.
remember i am slow: )
( i was bad sick when the unit first arrived so it has taken some time to get it in rotation ).
i have a unit and it looks and sound great!
very much worth a look.
Old 19th March 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Thanks Sounds good.. really looking forward to a Siemens vibe
Old 27th March 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I'm surious about that preamp as well. Especially the valve one.
Old 21st May 2012 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
give this thread a bump for a very cool little pre.
watch for a article with Triton soon: )
Old 7th June 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
how "soon" is "soon" ?
Old 19th June 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
TritonAudio D2O V2 samples

I have had such good expirence with the Triton pres that I wanted to share it. Here are some samples on drum overheads. On a recent rock demo they beat out my Chandler Germs on overheads. I did use the Germs for Kick and snare though

Here is one sample of the drum overhead, they don't seem to want to leave that spot. This is a single R84 centered over the kick about 4 ft above the drummer. For the other samples you can check out the review here on GS.
Attached Files

OH R84 V2.mp3 (1,010.7 KB, 3583 views)

Old 19th June 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Wow, these sound really, really good.
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bought it last week new... used with a Soundelux U195 and a Peluso 2247LE for vocal overdubbing. It's simply fantastic! Deadly quiet, without any kind of noise. Only problem is about some of the switches that are not really quality wise. Sometimes when you push them off they do not come back and you have to use nails..
Old 18th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
any more users of these? comparisons with other telefunkenish tube pre's?
Old 17th December 2014
I'd be interested to hear more about the D2O as well, if anyone can offer up any comparisons it would help immensely!
Old 17th December 2014 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinheronmusic ➑️
I'd be interested to hear more about the D2O as well, if anyone can offer up any comparisons it would help immensely!
We have it in our Clipalator preamp section, in 500 series as well as the 19" stereo rack version. Sounds great!

War
Old 20th December 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➑️
We have it in our Clipalator preamp section, in 500 series as well as the 19" stereo rack version. Sounds great!

War
I compared the D2O 500 series to the Lachapelle 583. The D2O seemed to be a lot smoother upper mids/highs. The 583 seemed to have this glow/flare in those upper frequencies that didn't agree with my ears very well, particularly on the electric guitar clips. The D20 had a similar flavor, but so much more smooth and sweet. I am definitely going to save up for the D2O as my next pre.
Old 2nd November 2015
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Could someone explain me the sonic differences between a classic Neve 1073 and a classic Siemens v72?
THANKS
Old 3rd November 2015
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Could someone explain me the sonic differences between a classic Neve 1073 and a classic Siemens v72?

THANKS
Old 3rd November 2015
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years

THANKS
Old 4th November 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeHappy ➑️

THANKS
These are two completely different designs. The Neve saturates the high end and has a low mid emphasis, the more you push it, the more this becomes apparent. The V72 is very detailed in the midrange, and doesn't saturate the high end like a 1073 would, making it sound a little more focused and clean. The low end is very clear and dimensional. I have never really pushed a V72, as I have only used it to get a very clear, very warm vocal sound.
Old 4th November 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinheronmusic ➑️
These are two completely different designs. The Neve saturates the high end and has a low mid emphasis, the more you push it, the more this becomes apparent. The V72 is very detailed in the midrange, and doesn't saturate the high end like a 1073 would, making it sound a little more focused and clean. The low end is very clear and dimensional. I have never really pushed a V72, as I have only used it to get a very clear, very warm vocal sound.
I like the big low end of the Neve but I don't like the high roll off (on my vocal). Do you think I could use the v72 to get a bit fatter lows keeping the natural top end?
Old 4th November 2015
The Triton D2O or a V72 could definitely get you into neutral territory but with coloration. It's smooth. Very smooth. Very detailed. I wouldn't say it emphasizes the lows like a Neve does, I would say that it's more of a midrange shimmer. The perceived loudness of the low end is going to be more apparent because of the smooth top end, leading some people to think it's a bit murky. It reminds me a bit of the Drawmer 1960, but there really isn't anything on the market like it. What you're describing would be more a long the lines of the Skibbe 736-5. Fat bottom / neutral top.

IMHO, I think that the 1073 is a brighter sounding preamp coloration than the D20 or a V72. In practice, I am often switching to a 1073 design from a Chameleon Labs 581 to get more top end. Compared to my 581, my HA 73r has more bottom and more top. Compared to the D2O, the 73 is more hazy - with more bottom and more top. YMMV.
Old 12th February 2018
Here for the gear

I was thinking of adding the D2O 500 series to a portable lunchbox (can't lug my Tele 72V around). Does the D20 500 series play well with other preamps? Specifically I will be using it with a Neve 1073LB and an API 512V. If not, does anyone recommend any other tube 500 series press that will get the "V:" sound?
Old 22nd March 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaManGoAhead ➑️
Does the D20 500 series play well with other preamps?
If you are looking for variation, I would try a Chandler TG2-500 (brighter). Clips are in Zen Pro Audio's Clipalator (try the mix ones).

(I only have the D2O ATM.)
Old 13th June 2020
Comparing the Triton D2O (FET->Tube) to the Elysia Skulpter on voice, I would say the differences are subtle if you don't drive the D2O. The Skulpter may be a bit more open, the D2O a bit rounder in the bottom. Once you start driving the Triton, you get (asymmetric) saturation that is more of the dark variety. Not sure there is enough gain on it to go into super hard clipping on voice, maybe if you scream.

Picture shows what the saturation looks like (Skulpter unsaturated top, D2O bottom).
Attached Thumbnails
Triton Audio D2O 500-series mic pre-elysia-skulpter-triton-d2o.jpg  

Last edited by johannburkard; 13th June 2020 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: Expanding
Old 7th June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I see D2O 500s for sale but they have a DI in and a few differences on the front plate... Are these a newer version? I don't find anything about this change and especially them adding a DI. Is one version more desirable than the other?
πŸ“ Reply