Quantcast
ADAM P11a, S1a & Focal CSM 65 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ADAM P11a, S1a & Focal CSM 65
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
ADAM P11a, S1a & Focal CSM 65

i was dead set on getting the P11a's but they have had some manufacturing issues and they will not be in stock for a good while. my dealer said he can get me a new pair of S1a's for a comparable price to the P11a's. from what i understand, the S series is of a higher quality than the P series. the main difference is the headroom -- as the P11 has a 30W difference for the woofer output. could this affect headroom a lot for the S1's? the crossover point on the P11s is 1800, and the S1 is 2200... but this is due to the construction of the tweeter and woofer for each model.. i dont think this could be taken as a negative, right?

i have been recommended the Focal CMS 65's as well. however i do not know much about that model. how does it stack up against the ADAMs?

this is for a project studio. the room is not too big, about the size of a large bedroom. unfortunately, i can not treat the room (i was going to put the comp/monitors in the tracking room which is treated, but the tracking room is too small to accommodate my desk setup). i was going to put up a divider with a moving blanket draped over it behind my desk chair so the sound waves of the monitors are absorbed behind me... i am guessing this is a better method than to leave the back of the room open for reflections?

thank you kindly, everyone!!
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
The s1a's might not give enough power but I can't be sure, I'm using p11a's in a smaller bedroom and have no problems. You probably know the s series are replaced by the sx and its interesting if there are still unused ones avalible.

If you're not in a rush, I think you should wait couse they don't sound similar enough to compare. Many people would prefer the A7 to the p11a so its not always about expensive being better than cheaper.

Too bad you can't treat the room, just to keep in mind smaller monitors/ lower listening lvl.s won't have any benefits in an untreated room. If you can, try building portable solutions and you can find some threads with search function here.
Old 22nd November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
thanks for the reply! what are the sonic differences between the s1 and the p11? i understand theres a small power difference, but how is the overall sound different?

do you know anything about the focals?
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Considering the room, I'd get A7's. They are really very honest.thumbsup
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Not sure about the others, but I have the P11a's and think they are the doodle. The clarity in the top end is insane. Big difference! I haven't heard the other choices though. But I won't be switching for a while.
Old 14th February 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I am to the very happy owner of a pair of P11.
The top end is just so.... GREAT! you can really place your sounds arround in your sonic stage.
Iยดve done some mixes on them, and when transferring to a pair of Genelec, you can really hear the diff.
Old 14th February 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Before buying , i tried each brands , to do that you compare two by two : genelec vs adam : winner adam , then adam vs dynaudio : winner adam .....ect so no need to compare for exemple then genelec vs dynaudio !!

to answer your question and like some have said, yep the P series sounds different than the S series and when i compared , i prefered the P series !!

If the p11A are not availlable , try to find (if it's on your budget the p33a , beautifull !!)) i was about to by the p33 a but was afraid (according to the type of music i make .....808 and all !!) to not go deep enough in infra bass so i went P11A+ Sub 8 : bingo , deadly combo !!!

so if you have a shop that have the p33 or the p22 and the new series , you can compare just to know the sound difference between ....

by the way , better than the focal hands down , you really gotta go to the focal solo 6 BE or twin 6 BE to be on the same league !!
Old 17th February 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
have you tried the focal? they are in the same league, as the adam , i own both .
i don t like much the sound of the solo (just heard one time in a shop) but i love the cms 65
๐Ÿ“ Reply