Quantcast
Buzz Ma2.2 or Elixir for acoustic guitar? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Buzz Ma2.2 or Elixir for acoustic guitar?
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Buzz Ma2.2 or Elixir for acoustic guitar?

Hello, I think I want a pair of Buzz pres for primarily acoustic guitar duty. I often read about the MA2.2 providing the tone I want. However, I also record electric bass and male vox,and the elixir seems to be praised for all those tasks. So the question is. will the MA2.2 provide obviously better results on acoustic? If so then I need it. If the difference is negligible, as I'd like the DI's, 500 format, and lower price, I'll really consider the Elixirs. thanks in advance.
Old 21st January 2010
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
bump-no one has tried both for acoustic guitar? I like the idea of the elixer, but do they sound the same?
Old 21st January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
They don't sound the same, but being from the same designer/company they have some similarities. The MA2.2 is extremely detailed and fast, as much like being in the room as it gets IME. The Elixir is also natural and not colored (only very slightly), but it's slightly more forgiving than the MA2.2. I've used both on acoustics, classical type singers, and other various instruments and they are excellent in similar apps...there is no way you are going to be let down by either one as they are both very very good pieces of gear.
Old 21st January 2010 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred โžก๏ธ
They don't sound the same, but being from the same designer/company they have some similarities. The MA2.2 is extremely detailed and fast, as much like being in the room as it gets IME. The Elixir is also natural and not colored (only very slightly), but it's slightly more forgiving than the MA2.2. I've used both on acoustics, classical type singers, and other various instruments and they are excellent in similar apps...there is no way you are going to be let down by either one as they are both very very good pieces of gear.
good explanation! I had similar experiences with the pres. the MA2.2 rules representing reality, the elixir is a bit slower and less detailed.

cheers
Old 27th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thanks for the replies. This is what I expected but did not want to hear. I lik the elixer for format, price, and DI, but not at the expense of detail for fingerstyle guitar.
Old 27th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory โžก๏ธ
Thanks for the replies. This is what I expected but did not want to hear. I lik the elixer for format, price, and DI, but not at the expense of detail for fingerstyle guitar.
Again, it's a matter of relative degree. The MA2.2 is extremely detailed, the Elixir is more detailed than 95% of the preamps out there. If you made a recording with the Elixir and just played it back by itself you would say it is very detailed. If you did an A/B with the MA2.2 you would just say the MA is more detailed.
Old 28th January 2010 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory โžก๏ธ
yeah.. it's not "bad" or anything. it's just a Ferrari F40 without drink holder inside.. heh
๐Ÿ“ Reply