Quantcast
Upgrading with Bareknuckle Pups... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Upgrading with Bareknuckle Pups...
Old 19th November 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Upgrading with Bareknuckle Pups...

Used the searchbar...nothing came up, so...

I'm currently looking down the barrel at some nice fat college bills, so I have to sell off my PRS (let me know if you're interested...haha). I'm looking at picking up an Ibanez RGA121 (love the simplicity of the bare wood, and I figured the neck will be amazing), but I've heard and experienced firsthand some of the issues with them.

I'm planning on buying a set of Bareknuckle pups (most likely either the Nailbomb set, or a Nailbomb for the bridge and a Cold Sweat for the Neck) to replace the V7 and V8 that come stock. Has anyone had experience buying these uncalibrated, or does it really make that much of a difference? (I like the balls that the nailbomb has, and I've heard demos of the CS that sound really fluid and thick, while still being able to cut.)

tl,dr: Should I buy the calibrated set for best results?

Who here has the Nailbomb or Coldsweat and can offer some firsthand experience?

While I'm at it, I figure that I may as well go ahead and add on some new electronics (as I'm going to have the tech wire them up for splitting). If I want to do this, what do I need to buy so that he'll just have to install everything. (I'm sorry if this seems a very general question, but I'm new at the whole aftermarket pup game).

tl,dr: What are all the electronic components I need to buy for coil-split setup?

Has anyone had any experience with Wolfetone pups? I just found out that he operates not 50 minutes from where I live, and a set would be considerably less from him. Now, I do really dig the BK sound, and I haven't seen any videos of his more metal pups. Anyone tried these and liked them?

tl,dr: Anyone had experience with Wolfetone pickups?

Hope you guys can give me some pointers here.

Thanks,

B
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
You should ask these questions over at the barknuckle forum. Bare Knuckle Pickups - Index

I have the Coldsweat, and I love that pickup. I didn't get a calibrated set though, and I had my pickups installed for me. I do have a split coil set up in my Schecter, it's definitely a cool feature.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…