For bassits - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
For bassits
Old 17th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For bassits

Hi,

while talking to a familiar dealer in US about a mic deal he mentioned that there is coming out some new bass DI/pre.
He says that it will be killer boxes, outperforming 2000$ devices.

They will be rare, but if you see them you might want to try them out. He said the tube version will be sold for around 700, the solid state for a couple hundred or so less.

Have a look

I have no financial interest, being a GAS victime myself and live on another continent where these units won´t show up for a longer while anyway.

Just thought sharing is nice heh

Greets

PS: Sorry for confusion. Deleted the URL. Just found that under specs it says "made with pride in USA". I don´t know if it means nationalism or rather pride on the products, but the fact that there is much about quality parts for so few price and a "Military-spec circuit board" as well ... leaves me confused a bit.
Now, you know at least that there is some new gar out. - if it has been unknown at all.
Old 17th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Don't worry too much about the "Made with pride in the USA" statement; it's not militaristic, but simply a phrase that came into use in the 70's and 80's, when the quality of American manufactured products were perceived to be inferior compared to products manufactured in Japan in Germany (Compare a BMW to a Chevrolet and you'll get the idea). The phrase gained new prominence in the 90's, when the North American Free Trade Agreement (or NAFTA) lowered trade barriers between the US and Mexico, and many companies took their manufacturing plants to other countries to save money.

So who builds the new DI?
Old 17th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Only a yokel would believe that Americans are the only nationality that take pride in the things they build. Let them mark themselves as yokels.

What's the box?

Bear
Old 17th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi guys, really nice to have your somewhat balancing feedback on that question as I would had had a hard time to not buy a unit . Thanks. ( Will send an e-mail now over the weekend to grab the tube version.)
It is about these boxes from BBE.

Greets,

Ruphus
Old 18th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
I dunno - I don't really want to have a sonic maximizer in my bass chain, or any other processing I didn't specifically put there. I'd be happier with the old Demeter pass pre, I think. Or an Evil Twin, or an Avalon U5, or a number of other boxes... Of course, if I heard it and it was wonderful ,that would be a different story.

The bass chain on my last project was a Vintech X73 to a General Electric BA-9A limiter. The one before that was a Great River NV into a Tube Tech.
Old 18th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Interesting that you mention Demeter of whos products I am absolutely fond of as well as of his prices.
And when my dealer recommended the BBE ( sounds silly, I know, but we have a good connection ) first thing I asked was how it would compare to the Demeter HBP ( which a friend of mine owns. I as mainly on guitar have the HXM ).
According to his answer it must be indeed worth to check out the BBE. I am supposing that one can bypass the maximizer ...

And besides, as the Demeter HXM-1 is rarely mentioned when it is about mic pres / DIs, I do strongly recommend to interested users to have a listen to it by chance. I love it. It is a phantastic piece of gear possibly delivering sonics like none can do in that price range. Terrific for vocals and for guitarists anyway.
Old 18th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just was on the website again to have another look at the new baby to come. At the maximizer I saw a switch saying "in" and "out", so I guess no prob about bypassing it.
📝 Reply