Quantcast
anyone tried/used NHT A20 monitors ?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
anyone tried/used NHT A20 monitors ??
Old 17th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
anyone tried/used NHT A20 monitors ??

I'm looking for a second pair of monitors for my mixing room. I'm using a pair of Dynaudio BM15A, wich i like but really want another pair for checking my mixes.
After doing some research i thought about the NHT A20...the problem is that i never heard them and nobody carries them locally. Any thoughts ?? Thanks
Old 17th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I've been using Tannoy Reveals (passive with an Adcom 535 power amp) but have recently been using NHT A10's.

I like 'em.

the A20's sound great too.

Mike
Old 17th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mike,

Have you compared the A10 and A20...do they sound REALLY different ??? the A20 is more than twice the price of the A10. Thanks
Old 17th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: anyone tried/used NHT A20 monitors ??

Quote:
Originally posted by vudoo
I'm looking for a second pair of monitors for my mixing room. I'm using a pair of Dynaudio BM15A, wich i like but really want another pair for checking my mixes.
After doing some research i thought about the NHT A20...the problem is that i never heard them and nobody carries them locally. Any thoughts ?? Thanks
I've had a set for a few years now, and I am very happy with them. They go with me everywhere, and i use them for all phases of recording. The input sensitivity, low frequency and high frequency compensation switches are very useful as well. The only draw back is that the woofers can 'bottom out' if you are really cranking the things, and you are not using the subwoofer system (B 20, I believe) with it. I don't have the subwoofers, but still get great results...

Cheers,
John
Old 17th May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I use them in combination with B-20's. Brutally honest. Love 'em!
Old 17th May 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Monitors are way too subjective to say what will work for you but I love mine. In fact, unless they someday are broken beyond repair I could see me keeping them for the rest of my life. I'm just a small project studio owner but they are the best purchase I've made.

But I got mine for a GREAT price used. If I were going to pay new prices I would certainly do some auditioning. Maybe I would look at the smaller ADAM's, the Blue Sky stuff , the small Quested (F11?), etc. as well as the A20's. I love my A20's but you have to listen for yourself. There is a lot of competition at that price point.

Are you looking for a certain sound to complement or contrast your current setup?

Jason A.
Old 17th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by vudoo
Mike,

Have you compared the A10 and A20...do they sound REALLY different ??? the A20 is more than twice the price of the A10. Thanks
I haven't been able to AB them side-by-side, but they did seem similiar.
Both are 2 way systems, the A20 has some additional porting.

Are any of these even available any more? I thought they were both out of production.

I also wonder what the amp/processor/x-over difference is between the models.

The same rig, only more power? Or different x-over point and processing?

I e'd the link to this thread to a friend who uses A20's along with the NHT subwoofs as his main playback system. Maybe he'll chime in.
Old 17th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
[i]
I e'd the link to this thread to a friend who uses A20's along with the NHT subwoofs as his main playback system. Maybe he'll chime in. [/B]
ooops! Animatrix in de house!
Old 18th May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by psytechguy
ooops! Animatrix in de house!
Hey Mike,

These are still being manufactured.

www.nhtpro.com

My A-20's were manufactured when Vergence technologies was running the show and are badged as a Vergence product. About 30 minutes after I set them up, the power amp went south. I called NHT (who now has bought out Vergence and is re-badging the products as NHT <doh>) and they said to ship them back and they would fix them for free. They were as good as their word. I had to pay shipping though and it wasn't cheap. I think that the A-10's and A-20's that have been on the blowout sales over the last year were manufactured during the Vergence era. I don't know if there were QC issues during that time, but NHT will make good on any problems-the customer will have to pay shipping though. They are one of the better companies I've dealt with on customer support issues.

Old 19th May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I have found the NHT A-10s for an excellent price ($439.00 or $349.00 - scratch and dent). I currently use the Event 20/20 and was wondering if the A-10s would be much of an improvement. I know the A-10 only go down to 57Hz with a 6 1/2" woofer, but my 20/20 have an 8" woofer and have fair low end (do not know freq. response). I record mainly contemporary acoustic music, i.e. bluegrass/folk/etc. with acoustic guitars, mandolins, vocals. (no drums, synths or the like). Would these monitors be an appropriate replacement for my 20/20s, which I would sell to purchase the A-10s?

Thanks.
Tim T
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The 20/20's I've heard will give you more perceivable bass, although I personally think its rather boomy and not accurate.

Check out this review of the A10.

http://www.nhtpro.com/view_press.asp?ProductReviewID=2

Mike
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
....also,

since you're doing primarily acoustic music, I would definitely recommend
the A10's. Absolutely. That's an area where I would think they'd really shine.

..as always, YMMV.

BTW, I paid $440 for mine. "A bargain at twice the price!"

Mike
Old 19th May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by psytechguy
....also,

since you're doing primarily acoustic music, I would definitely recommend
the A10's. Absolutely. That's an area where I would think they'd really shine.

..as always, YMMV.

BTW, I paid $440 for mine. "A bargain at twice the price!"

Mike
Gotta' agree with psytechguy here. I record a *lot* of acoustic instruments. I used to use the 20/20 BAS monitors. I found them to be not-so-accurate for the particular room I had at the time, but I've seen others swear by them. It's a matter of learning your room and monitors and how they all interact with the usual 2,038,927,564,120.79 variables that affect your listening environment. I would try to hang on to the 20/20's until you're sure you like the A-10's. Nothin' works unless it works in your own particular mix environment.

DJ
πŸ“ Reply