Quantcast
Connecting a 737sp to 003 rack+???? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Connecting a 737sp to 003 rack+????
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Connecting a 737sp to 003 rack+????

My 1st post, hope it's in the right place... I am new to recording (2 months) though have been on the other end many times over. I have just purchased a Avalon 737sp and cant figure out the proper way to connect it to my 003 Rack+. I also purchased 2 dbx 160A compressor/Limiters as well and the same question applies.

For now i am running PT LE, 003 rack+, Avalon 737sp, 2 dbx compressors on a mac mini (i know) i have a Monster pro 3500 and i Glyph GT 050Q external hard drive with M-Audio bx5a monitors. That's my whole set up for now but every penny i have is going into this. Any opinions on what my next move should be. Other than get a Mac Pro = ) ..... Thank you for reading this
Old 17th November 2009
mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Welcome to the board...

Take the Line Output from the Avalon and go into a Line Input on the 003. Inputs 5-8 are Line inputs on most 003s (they make one with 8 preamps that has no line inputs too). Going into the Line Input bypasses the mic preamp and gives you a cleaner path.

Good luck!
Old 17th November 2009 | Show parent
mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Oh, and to answer your question about what else to get, what mics do you have? You can do a lot of good work with a 737 (contrary to what Gearslutz snobs will tell you). You'll need some decent mics...fortunately there are millions of good options these days...
Old 17th November 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisb5150 ➑️
I also purchased 2 dbx 160A compressor/Limiters as well and the same question applies.
1. How are you wanting to use the compresser/limiters? On the Avalon signal or no?

2. Make sure your cable is XLR(Balanced) on the one end coming out the 737 and TRS(Balanced) on the 1/4" side going into the DIGI
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks for responding. I am alone in this learning process so it's a bit confusing right now. I have bought only 3 Mics so far. A Sterling Audio ST55 and two Audix i5's.

As for where i am going with my studio is kind of up in the air. I play in a band which tours a lot. Last tour was with The Offspring June-July. For now i am writing and recording demo's for our 4th record release. Though having said that i think my main goal is to get into scoring of some sort. Movies, TV or any Audio medium where i can write some little diddy and get paid. Writing is my strong point so and as most of us know, MOST bands though maybe of "some note" do not ever see any real money. So... taking some of my eggs out of the band basket and doing this on my own.

As for how i am wanting to use the compressors/limiters i have NO idea how to go about any of it. I get what they do but have no idea when to use them, how to use them etc.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
just do what I did the first time find a hole and jam it. Seriously I suggest and xlr (from the output of the avalon) to trs (input 5-8)

Cheers and welcome gearslutz will change your life and your wallet.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Guys I guess ya'll missed 003 rack'+'

He doesn't have line in 5-8 as some are describing so the only thing he can do is just use any line in & turn the gain all the way down or get an ADAT or SPDIF interface...
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thank you Superior Sound! I am glad i found gearslutz as well! Being new to this i know it's more likely than not that people new to recording are going to spend a ton of money on stuff they don't need so thank you!
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEEETSSS ➑️

He doesn't have line in 5-8 as some are describing so the only thing he can do is just use any line in & turn the gain all the way down or get an ADAT or SPDIF interface...
Stupid name anyway, + Stupid DIGI
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hmm, still don't get it but i appreciate those who took the time to respond. The 003 rack+ dose not have 1/4 analog inputs
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Did you buy the avalon and 003+ from the same place? IE from a sales guy who suggested this combination??
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisb5150 ➑️
Hmm, still don't get it but i appreciate those who took the time to respond. The 003 rack+ dose not have 1/4 analog inputs

Maybe you should look at the back of it again

Digidesign 003 Rack+ Factory Close-Up | Sweetwater.com

Right underneath the XLR inputs, I see 8 of them. Use ANY one of them to plug in the line output of the Avalon

"Make sure your cable is XLR(Balanced) on the one end coming out the 737 and TRS(Balanced) on the 1/4" side going into the DIGI"

BTW, DONT buy gear UNTIL you figure out your NEED it or youll just throw money away
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginearing ➑️
Did you buy the avalon and 003+ from the same place? IE from a sales guy who suggested this combination??
Yes i did but in know it all works together somehow. Just don't know how yet which is on me. Thank you
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit ➑️
Maybe you should look at the back of it again

Digidesign 003 Rack+ Factory Close-Up | Sweetwater.com

Right underneath the XLR inputs, I see 8 of them. Use ANY one of them to plug in the line output of the Avalon

"Make sure your cable is XLR(Balanced) on the one end coming out the 737 and TRS(Balanced) on the 1/4" side going into the DIGI"

BTW, DONT buy gear UNTIL you figure out your NEED it or youll just throw money away
Those are 1/4 Line/Di Inputs 1-8. I thought they had to be 1/4 Analog Inputs. This is embarrassing! Though i guess we all have to start somewhere. Thank you very much for responding and sending the link!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
1/4" line/DI are your 1/4" analog inputs... one and the same. your signal will still pass through the gain stage of your 003r+.

the guy who sold this to you wanted you to pay extra for the extra preamps, though now the only way to avoid hitting the stock preamps is to get a seperate A/D converter. the non+ version has only 4 onboard pres, thus leaving 5 thru 8 available for line level inputs such as your avalon will be outputting...

It probably shouldn't be an issue for you for a while, though if i were selling units with the customers best interest in hand, I would have ensured your preamps line output had a way of getting into your interface through direct lines, not via an attenuated stock preamp. - one way to make sure you come back to buy a separate A/D unit i guess.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginearing ➑️
1/4" line/DI are your 1/4" analog inputs... one and the same. your signal will still pass through the gain stage of your 003r+.

the guy who sold this to you wanted you to pay extra for the extra preamps, though now the only way to avoid hitting the stock preamps is to get a seperate A/D converter. the non+ version has only 4 onboard pres, thus leaving 5 thru 8 available for line level inputs such as your avalon will be outputting...

It probably shouldn't be an issue for you for a while, though if i were selling units with the customers best interest in hand, I would have ensured your preamps line output had a way of getting into your interface through direct lines, not via an attenuated stock preamp. - one way to make sure you come back to buy a separate A/D unit i guess.
Ahh, now i get it! Thank you for clearing that up. Obviously the purpose of the Avalon is to get better sound than the 003+ can offer so i'm going to want to bypass running through the 003+ pres. Any suggestions on a good A/D Converter?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEEETSSS ➑️

Sorry that I wasn't clear...
πŸ“ Reply