Quantcast
klein & hummel brand discontinued - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
klein & hummel brand discontinued
Old 17th November 2009
  #1
Gear Addict
 
NoisyNarrowBand's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
klein & hummel brand discontinued

acording to a german newspaper article published today sennheiser has decided to discontinue the klein & hummel brand. they will continue to sell monitors under the neumann and pa speakers under the sennheiser brand. half of the k&h workforce has to go.

while sales in germany are up 20% this year, the company is dissatisfied with international sales of k&h products and hopes that the neumann/sennheiser brands will give increased recognition.

pitty imho! klein & hummel had just build a good reputation and a decent following internationally. sales might reflect that yet but give it a year or two and maybe a new product (o310?!) k&h might have been there...

article in german here: Sennheiser löst Klein + Hummel auf / Wedemark / Im Norden / Aus der Region / Hannover / HAZ - Hannoversche Allgemeine
Old 17th November 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 
frans's Avatar
 
10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
K&H - small but too good.
I feel for their workers. Actuall I thought that K&H was a better brand than Neumann...
Old 17th November 2009 | Show parent
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
Mikeren's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
That's a real shame...Neumann monitors?
Maybe if they spent some money marketing over here...
Old 17th November 2009 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Glenn Bucci's Avatar
 
41 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
That is a shame, I feel the most for the workers who have lost their jobs. I think sales will not go up under the Neumann or Sen. name. Only pro people would buy them, and they already know the K&H name. Home studio people can't afford their monitors, and the home studio guys are the ones who might by a monitor under a Neumann name. I always admired the sound and quality of their 300's.
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
  #5
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
The official Sennheiser statement (in English) is HERE.

There are various inaccuracies in the German newspaper.

Klein + Hummel monitors are *not* being discontinued.

Basically, Neumann has a much higher profile on the international market than Klein + Hummel.

The studio monitors will continue to be manufactured - certainly the O110, O300 and O410 will - and, when current stocks have run out, will be re-badged as Neumann monitors.

Same product - just a different badge.

This is done to strengthen and increase the brand - *not* to run it down.
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
deve's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➡️
The official Sennheiser statement (in English) is HERE.

There are various inaccuracies in the German newspaper.

Klein + Hummel monitors are *not* being discontinued.

Basically, Neumann has a much higher profile on the international market than Klein + Hummel.

The studio monitors will continue to be manufactured - certainly the O110, O300 and O410 will - and, when current stocks have run out, will be re-badged as Neumann monitors.

Same product - just a different badge.

This is done to strengthen and increase the brand - *not* to run it down.
That's a relief.
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
TheMarqueeYears's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Hi John

I bought my K&H 0300's here in the UK, they where shipped from Sennheiser UK to me direct.

Does this mean no change in service agreements, so that if I have a problem with my monitors (hopefully not) I will be able to drop them off at Sennheiser UK for service and repair?

I presume if the 0300 are just to be re-badged then spare parts is not going to be a problem.

Thanks

TMY
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
  #8
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarqueeYears ➡️
Hi John

I bought my K&H 0300's here in the UK, they where shipped from Sennheiser UK to me direct.

Does this mean no change in service agreements, so that if I have a problem with my monitors (hopefully not) I will be able to drop them off at Sennheiser UK for service and repair?

I presume if the 0300 are just to be re-badged then spare parts is not going to be a problem.
No change at all.

It's just that K+H is not very well known internationally and Neumann and Sennheiser are.

So the studio monitors will, in the future, be marketed under the Neumann banner (and the install series under the Sennheiser banner).

Spares etc. for the existing products will continue to be available from your local Sennheiser / Neumann distributor as before - there is no change at all in the distribution.
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➡️
No change at all.

...
That is a stretch. They do fire app. half of K&H workforce. No judgement on this, but "no change at all" seems inappropriate.
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
  #10
Gear Addict
 
Fabi's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
K+Hs have been my favourite Monitors for a long time now. Love working on the O500s

Whatever is going to happen I hope it helps to sell them
and I hope the employees that build such a brilliant product range don´t have to suffer from the changes that are going to happen.

Applause for H+H !
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
  #11
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio ergo sum ➡️
They do fire app. half of K&H workforce.
Where does it say this on the Sennheiser press release?
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Friedemann's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➡️
Where does it say this on the Sennheiser press release?
I only read the newspaper article and it says "more than half of the former employees will remain in the company" They had 16 employees. Maybe they keep 9 or 10?
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
  #13
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedemann ➡️
I only read the newspaper article and it says "more than half of the former employees will remain in the company" They had 16 employees. Maybe they keep 9 or 10?
The newspaper got several things wrong, I am told.

If it's 16 employees, that would be just the head office staff (not the factory) and most would just move over to Sennheiser and Neumann and they would only lose those whose jobs would be duplicated.

The implication of earlier posts was that half the factoy staff would go - from what you say above it's just a few office staff whose job would be duplicated in Sennheiser or Neumann.

Sad for them, of course, but not as bad as was implied (ie: things taken out of context).
Old 20th November 2009 | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
beingmf's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
it's so hard to see another one of those traditional german studio companies go. companies that built gear like this:
Old 20th November 2009 | Show parent
  #15
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf ➡️
it's so hard to see another one of those traditional german studio companies go.
It's not gone at all - There are no changes to the factory and manufacturing, nor to the design and research departments; so the products’ high audio standard and general philosophy is unchanged. - it's just that the studio monitors are now being marketed by Neumann.
Old 20th November 2009 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
beingmf's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➡️
It's not gone at all
Yes, but the NAME is gone - that's what I find sad about it.
Old 21st November 2009 | Show parent
  #17
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf ➡️
Yes, but the NAME is gone - that's what I find sad about it.
Actually, that is not definite as I understand it.

We will have to wait and see.

All that is definite is that the K+H monitors will now be marketed by Neumann (and the install series by Sennheiser).
Old 21st November 2009 | Show parent
  #18
Lives for gear
 
The MPCist's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➡️
It's not gone at all - There are no changes to the factory and manufacturing, nor to the design and research departments; so the products’ high audio standard and general philosophy is unchanged. - it's just that the studio monitors are now being marketed by Neumann.
Well, that's what they say but with a name change usually comes a difference in teams, morale, and general direction of R&D which means either product gets worse or at the least, different.

Having said this, I'm looking into getting a pair of K+H's.....
Old 22nd November 2009 | Show parent
  #19
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist ➡️
Well, that's what they say but with a name change usually comes a difference in teams, morale, and general direction of R&D which means either product gets worse or at the least, different.

Having said this, I'm looking into getting a pair of K+H's.....
At the moment there is not even a name change.

The *people* are all the same - the team and R&D is the same.

The products cannot get worse - Neumann is a top end brand and Sennheiser would not allow anything that would diminish the reputation of Neumann at all.

It's just that Neumann is better known that K+H, especially in some areas of the work]ld where K+H is not known at all.
Old 22nd November 2009 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
James Lehmann's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➡️
...Sennheiser would not allow anything that would diminish the reputation of Neumann at all.
Too late methinks!

TLM103, KM184, U87ai...
Old 22nd November 2009 | Show parent
  #21
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann ➡️
Too late methinks!

TLM103, KM184, U87ai...
None of these have diminished Neumann's reputation - just that you find them unsuitable for your use.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 60 views: 18266
Avatar for dibravibra
dibravibra 19th October 2020
replies: 68 views: 23471
Avatar for Glenn Bucci
Glenn Bucci 4th August 2019
replies: 1375 views: 232425
Avatar for Sanchez
Sanchez 6 days ago
replies: 234 views: 28327
Avatar for Extreme Mixing
Extreme Mixing 28th March 2021
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump