Beyer ribbons mics - LIVE vocal ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beyer ribbons mics - LIVE vocal ?
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Beyer ribbons mics - LIVE vocal ?

Hi all you Beyer mic owners,

Which of the Beyer cardiod ribbons mics is most suitable for LIVE vocal duty ? ie. In terms of the sound and durability tradeoff ...

Btw ... I'm am a bit biased towards the less bright mics.

Many thanks,
Jls.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Probably the M500, which is not made anymore. It was intended to be a handheld vocal mic, and was Sinatra's stage mic. It doesn't have as much proximity effect as some of Beyer's other ribbons, so you might think of it as bright by comparison, but really it was designed as a 'close talker' with a tight pattern (way tighter than a 57 by comparison).

Needs a pretty good preamp though as it doesn't have a whole lot of output.

Cheers

Kris
Old 16th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am a bit concerned that I've heard the built in bass roll off starts too high ... at around 200 hz ??

Whereas the m160 does NOT have this ... thusly, I could engage my own bass roll off at the preamp (at 120hz).

js.
Old 17th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think it's the M260.80 that has the very pronounced bass rolloff. I just finished a full band recording this weekend, where the scratch vocals were done with a M500 (with the Stephen Sank dx mod, but I don't think this has a massive impact on the sound). Vocals were not thin by any stretch...a bit more open in the highs than a 57/58, no missing bass, just missing the popped "p"'s.

Cheers

Kris
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have used M500's and M160's for decades.

The M500, no longer offered, is a terrific stage vocal mic for many voices, and a handy studio vocal mic for nasal voices.

The M160 is a dual-ribbon hypercardioid mic that is fabulous on many sources, but I have never and will never use one for a stage vocal. I have used it for vox in studio but not for closely mic'd situations.

The M500 has built-in pop protection in the form of a little screen shaped like a miniature quonset hut that covers the ribbon. This gives it great resistance to plosives.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think I read somewhere that Elvis used an m160 onstage for a brief period of time in the mid seventies.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I have an M260 that I purchased new in 1974. Two years ago I sent it to Beyer for a complete rebuild.....started losing output...and they informed me it did not have the high pass filter that the newer M260's have.

I have used it on vocals and sax for years with great results.

By the way....it's for sale.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Been using an M500 for the last few gigs and am stunned at the results. The pattern is very tight that's for sure and I didn't noticed it before because I always use it on guitar cabs. Had to take the foam completely off because it was shattered and now the mic is a bit more sensitive to plosive sounds but you can easily take care of that with vocal techniques.

BTW, yes the M500 is on the bright side but with my voice is just perfect. No mud, no cloud, very clear sound.
I used to sing with an M300 a couple years ago (moving coil dynamic) but that one was a bit too bright and after a couple drop it died. I went back to the old trusty SM58 before givin a try to the M500.

Got a video on YouTube with the M500 on vocal duties but the audio is from a camcorder so nothing really interesting even thou the voice is very upfront and present thanks (in part) to the mic.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1 on the M500 -- one of the best mics I own thumbsup
πŸ“ Reply