Quantcast
Smart C1 on master bus: Linked or unlinked? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Smart C1 on master bus: Linked or unlinked?
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Smart C1 on master bus: Linked or unlinked?

I am using a Smart C1 for some years now and I love the way it glues my mixes. I've been experimenting with the stereo/dual mono thing and here is what I've found out:

1) In stereo modeo the mix sounds more squezzed, more congested but I really like the way it "pumps". It feels like the bass drum drives the whole mix better.

2) In dual mono the sound is definetily more open but also the comp sounds more "polite". Also it is very difficult for me to find the right spot for the threshold of the two channels. What should I trust, the setting on the pots or the needles?

So which mode do you prefer on your Alan Smart?
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by switch1 ➡️
I am using a Smart C1 for some years now and I love the way it glues my mixes. I've been experimenting with the stereo/dual mono thing and here is what I've found out:

1) In stereo modeo the mix sounds more squezzed, more congested but I really like the way it "pumps". It feels like the bass drum drives the whole mix better.

2) In dual mono the sound is definetily more open but also the comp sounds more "polite". Also it is very difficult for me to find the right spot for the threshold of the two channels. What should I trust, the setting on the pots or the needles?

So which mode do you prefer on your Alan Smart?
Like everything, it varies really.
BUT having said that, I tend to use stereo mode more. It feels like an SSL more, and that tends to be what I want to 'glue' the mix a little.

As far as matching pots or needles... I'd match the needles, the tolerances on even the most expensive pots is not that precise around it's rotation.
Old 16th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I like the stereo mode more myself, the C1 has been the best investment I have made in a long time, my botton end is killer.
📝 Reply