Quantcast
Inexpensive Gear for a Wet, Live and Warm Sound? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Inexpensive Gear for a Wet, Live and Warm Sound?
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Inexpensive Gear for a Wet, Live and Warm Sound?

What a dirty combination of words I've come up with to describe the sound I want. I am very much on an extreme budget, and looking for advice on how to at least as close as possible approximate a sound. What I'm thinking is somewhere between Joe Meek's I Hear A New World and Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavilion. Both these records are loaded with various percussion and weird sounds run through various delays and reverbs. There is a warmth and dirtiness to both records that feels both very under water and spacious. This is what I need help achieving.

My recording setup is (or soon will be) a Rodes NT2A and SM57 running through a DMP3 pre into Ableton Live from a Profire 610. I'm pretty out of luck as far as recording with expensive reverb units or amps or in rooms with nice natural reverb, just my noisy house with some heavy blankets hung to work with, so I'm counting on a Hardwire RV-7 pedal and the onboard reverbs and delays on my SP555 sampler to emulate that underwater feel. Now bare with me, I'm fairly new to taking my recordings more serious, so this may seem vague. There will be a lot of percussion and processed electronics that I still want to stand out and pop in the mix, so it's important that they can cut through the reverb while still maintaining a wet underwater sound. And I want everything to sound warm and a little gritty, more like it's recorded by Joe Meek than a sterile contemporary electronic music sound. The DMP3 is the best I can do as far as a pre at this point, but would a budget external compressor like the FMR RNLA possibly help to bring out some depth, help certain things stand out in the mix, and gel things together nicely for mixing? I will be using a lot of reverb, but I don't want everything to garble together or just get lost, you know? I hear the RNLA is pretty gritty and adds a nice tough of color. I've never used an external compressor before, but am I on the right path? Any other little magical and fairly inexpensive boxes anyone could suggest to help with this? I just want to do as much outside of the computer so I'm not just relying on plug-ins and such. But like I said, not a big budget here. Hope this makes sense, and thanks!
📝 Reply