Quantcast
Monitors.How often do you listen for fun? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monitors.How often do you listen for fun?
Old 16th May 2003
Monitors.How often do you listen for fun?

Yesterday i was archiving and decided to put on "A few small repairs" and Gabriels newest on the main monitors, not to reference, but just to listen for the sheer pleasure of hearing great stuff on good monitors.How often do you just listen for fun on your main monitors?
Old 16th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Monitors

Over the past 3 months I've put my favourite tracks from around 1000 of my vinyl albums into iTunes via Pro Tools in my studio room... I tell you what - my mixing has improved cos I'm now so familiar with hearing my fave stuff thru these Genelecs rather than my hi-fi setup!

Burt
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

I listen 4 fun almost everyday... while I'm checking e-mails and forums... there's always something playing thru my Truths...
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Everyday. I listen to a comp CD I made of "Toy Matinee", Talk Talk's "Laughingstock", The Blue Nile's "A Walk Across the Rooftops" and "Hats", Sinatra on Capitol and Reprise, Stax Singles, Jimmy Eat World, Ben Folds, Weezer... and the obligatory "Aja" and "Gaucho" and "Nightfly" tracks.

A new favorite is "New Favorites" by Allison Krauss and Union Station. Lovely.

I agree, I get more familiar with my speakers by casual listening to tracks that I like. Less critical listening is more like what the end user does than the work-a-day peering into woofers trying to hunt down the nasty freqs, IMVHO.
Old 16th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
steely

"and the obligatory "Aja" and "Gaucho" and "Nightfly" tracks".

only 3 weeks or so til the new Steely album

Burt
Old 16th May 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
All the time. I had the best of the Cars up until it was just too many great Cars tunes in a row. I was lovin' it! Great ****ing recordings and songs!
Old 16th May 2003
Ah the Toy Matinee.What a great sounding album.I love Botrill's work. It definitley helps just to casually listen to great sound.
Old 16th May 2003
Don
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Outside of listening in the car..really the only place I listen is on my monitors..I love to crank a XTC's greatest hits collection..Ahh dim lights just chillin listening to music for music's sake..Tranquility...
Old 17th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Cars. Elliot Easton is brilliant. Different tones for every song and a Harrison-like penchant for melody. The solo on "Touch and Go" ranks in my Top 5. I am completely envious of his style(s).

Toy Matinee is great songs and great production...and great guitar work from Tim Pierce. If you can find a copy of his "Guitarland" album, get it. He had written several songs intended for vocals and ended up doing them as instrumentals. Pure tone and melody and a hint of his chops during the fades. Another monsterand a lesson in how to record a guitar.

"Laughingstock" is the most interesting recording I own...that and it's predecessor, "Spirit of Eden". I've never had a harmonica give me chill bumps before.

It's a great "lights down low, beverage in hand" listening experience.

I forgot to mention Martin Taylor/David Grisman's "Tone Poems II". Period music played on period instruments and very well recorded. If you've never heard the sound of a Gibson Harp Guitar, check it out.
Old 17th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What is this fun you speak of? I shall try it sometime.

Old 17th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
EVERYDAY heh
Old 17th May 2003
Founder

My assistant Tom is a real music junkie, so every lunchtime we check out new bands, I put on various things to cheer me up in a "high quality" audio stylee..

All saints
M.Manson
Sean Colvin
Avril Levingn
Foo Fighters
Aerosmith

It is fun to hear nice stuff via the main monitors.. (ADAM SA4-C collumns)
Via Benchmark DAC-1
Old 17th May 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
almost non-stop... when doing things for school, I have no other system, than my computer+monitors... events ;-(
Old 17th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Not as often as I probably should; when I'm alone in the studio (writing a review, answering mail, reading the forums or cleaning I often enjoy the silence.

I'm more prone to get out CD's to play for people - after the session. Then some fairly eclectic stuff comes out. Tony Bennet and KD Lang, Spike Jones, Esquivel, The Austin Lounge Lizards, Jimmy Smith or Mothers Finest's "Black Radio Won't Play This Record".

And then there are the CD's that get passed around; a version of "O Holy Night", and some Scandinavian guy singing Elvis...
Old 17th May 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I listen to Esquivel dangerously too much now ;-)
Old 18th May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
...or Mothers Finest's "Black Radio Won't Play This Record"
Right on!
Old 18th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by matucha
I listen to Esquivel dangerously too much now ;-)
Matucha, I think you out to try and combine Esquivel's ideas with your local folk music; it could be very, very dangerous...
Old 18th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by OvrMyHd
Right on!
You remember that record? I was afraid that I was the only one... Think of 'Living Colour' with an attitude...
Old 18th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Everyday...it helps with mixes to hear other stuff on the monitors.

Today it was John Hiatts Greatest Hits,Joan Osbornes Relish,
The new Bruce Springstein...that Southern Tracks studio sounds real good...And some Marty Robbins...also some Tractors...
Old 19th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
My assistant Tom is a real music junkie, so every lunchtime we check out new bands, I put on various things to cheer me up in a "high quality" audio stylee..

All saints
M.Manson
Sean Colvin
Avril Levingn
Foo Fighters
Aerosmith

It is fun to hear nice stuff via the main monitors.. (ADAM SA4-C collumns)
Via Benchmark DAC-1
Marilyn Manson and Avril Levingn? You really are a super freak Jules.
Old 19th May 2003
Lives for gear

Hey, what about meshuggah & bjork? How freak is that?
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
Hey, what about meshuggah & bjork? How freak is that?
OK, you are a super freak too. Seriously, both make amazing music. I used to share rehearsal room with Meshuggah, until they got thrown out for not paying the rent.

Cheers
/Henrik
Old 19th May 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
You remember that record? I was afraid that I was the only one... Think of 'Living Colour' with an attitude...
Actually, IMHO, that is one of their weaker releases!
The first two (Mother's Finest and Another Mother Further) were excellent top to bottom. Never understood why they weren't huge.

BTW, they're still kicking around and doing a few gigs...

Cheers!
Old 19th May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
BTW, they're still kicking around and doing a few gigs...
Indeed they are. If memory serves they were in town last fall. Sadly, I had to work, but *crosses fingers* here's hoping they come back soon!

BTW, the Living Color reference is perfect!
Old 19th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by blackcatdigi
Actually, IMHO, that is one of their weaker releases!
The first two (Mother's Finest and Another Mother Further) were excellent top to bottom. Never understood why they weren't huge.
Cheers!
Well, I've always been a fan of obnoxious rock, and 'Black Radio' fits that perfectly. The first two records, if I recall, were more R&B with a bit of a rock attitude, while Black Radio was Rock and Roll with a bit of an R&B attitude. in any case, all are great fun. Surprisingly, the live record they released a couple of yars ago disappointed me a little.
Old 19th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Henrik
OK, you are a super freak too... I used to share rehearsal room with Meshuggah
And you are a lucky bastard
Old 19th May 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
Well, I've always been a fan of obnoxious rock, and 'Black Radio' fits that perfectly. The first two records, if I recall, were more R&B with a bit of a rock attitude, while Black Radio was Rock and Roll with a bit of an R&B attitude. in any case, all are great fun. Surprisingly, the live record they released a couple of yars ago disappointed me a little.
Hey Dave, as long as we're lumping black rock bands together, where does "Mother's Finest's" fit between Fishbone, Living Colour, and Bad Brains?

Sounds like something I need to hear.
Old 20th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
Hey Dave, as long as we're lumping black rock bands together, where does "Mother's Finest's" fit between Fishbone, Living Colour, and Bad Brains?
I don't know Bad Brains, and only heard Fishbone once, either on MTV or Saturday Night Live. But It really depends on the album - the early records (Mothers Finest was recording in the 70's...) were rocking R&B records. I haven't heard anything from them that is as 'in your face' as Black Radio Won't PLay This Record. I seriously would characterize it as Living Colour with an edge.

A lot of MF fans agree with blackcatdigi, that it's a weaker album than some of the earlier stuff; I like it better. Different strokes...
Old 20th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am also a music junkie, and I had a blast with the new lanois record today in the CR... very cool stuff.
Old 20th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I hear two cuts from lanios' new effort. I like what i heard.

Steve, did the record have different sounds and styles?
πŸ“ Reply