Quantcast
Force-feeding rude neighborhood dogs some Nyquist lovin' - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Force-feeding rude neighborhood dogs some Nyquist lovin'
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Force-feeding rude neighborhood dogs some Nyquist lovin'

DAW'ing late one night, I stepped out for a smoke and three stray dogs had the run of the neighborhood. This is cool I thought, free country right? "Run dogs run"

But one at a time they came into my yard, first the little one, with a piercing yelp.

I said "get otta here!" and the middle dog notices and charges at me, THEN the big mean rottweiler charges up the porch stairs at me!

Good puppy... love yer dental work...

In that split second I was worried what would happen if I had to clock the big dog in the face (before getting mauled), but just as quickly as it came after me it turned around and they all went away.

The thought occurred to me, an outdoor tweeter would be cheap and I could feed it the dog-whistle frequencies. Certainly not to abuse animals or play games with them, but something to deter them from taking pit stops in my yard.

The big question I'm wondering out loud is, what should I use to generate those high frequencies? I do want the ability to freak out a mean dog just in case though.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Mean dogs are hard to spook. I lived in a town that was dog country. The best thing to do is to dig deep, grow a big pair, and face them. They realize gimmicks eventually. They never get over Alpha Male syndrome... i.e. make them afraid of you....
Failing that, keep a piece of wood handy. One thing that dogs HATE is having their snouts blown into. So next time a slobbering Rottie is coming towards your face, just grab him and hold his snout closed while you blow into it!!

Ok, for real, just keep an old belt around and whack their haunches with the belt. Makes a hell of a noise and scares the f*&K out of them but causes no harm. If these don't work, just smoke when they're not around. Loose packs of dogs can hurt.
Oh wait, this is a high frequency question. Try an empty glass bottle with a drumstick and whack the s*&t out of it. Like every dishwasher in every f&*king restaurant on the planet does every wash cycle when they stack freshly washed hot plates out of the dishwasher.....
Old 15th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
A .357 makes just the right frequencies for this purpose.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Aggressive dog barking deterrent, Dog Off.
Dazer anti bark stops aggressive dogs. Ultrasonic Dazer repells dogs and cats.

And/or get and carry a taser or pepper spray. Pepper spray would probably be better than a taser, since you get more than one shot.

Dog Attack Deterrent - Sabre Dog Spray - Dog Pepper Spray | www.macecanada.com
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I found that a Jalapeno loaf seems to distract them well enough...
Or like the other guy says, just kill them. That's the answer to everything!!dfegad
Gear Guru

58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Ar Junior Walker said:

"SHOTGUN!*
SHOOT 'EM 'FORE THEY RUN NOW!"

Or you could get a bank of JBL 2402 bullet tweeters (Motorola piezos will do in a pinch), hook it up to a nice Crown power amp and drive it with a sine wave generator at around 25kHz or so......

*- the first shell is rock salt, the second birdshot, the third (if they still don't get the hint) buckshot.
Old 13th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Okay, I'm going to take your advice, but at the same time I had an epiphany you know, maybe it's a woofer, teach an old dog new tricks, every dog has his day...

"Blue'oo... oo..ee..oo ee ooah, oh so lonely"
(LeAnn Rimes cover - sound check)

Last edited by JoeyM; 13th January 2010 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How about just calling animal control. You are going to feel like a d#ck if you don't and the dogs maul a neighborhood kid.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Protip: Fence + gate. Done.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM ➑️
Okay, I'm going to take your advice, but at the same time I had an epiphany you know, maybe it's a woofer, teach an old dog new tricks, every dog has his day...

Lol, nice

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM ➑️

To quote The Byre's website (I think that's where I heard it):

"When you hear the sound of a bone, say "Woof"!"
πŸ“ Reply