Quantcast
Where does the Shadow hills mono gama really shine? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Where does the Shadow hills mono gama really shine?
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Where does the Shadow hills mono gama really shine?

I time spent recording is divded roughly like this. Metal/rock 40%, country, folk 40%, Rap/voice overs and other 20% of the time. I am new to the world of high end pre's. I have 512c's, Api a2d and shadow hills mono gama's. I bought the mono gama's first for versatility. 2 weeks ago I got the API stuff. I love colored gear and the API really was easy to love. The mono gama's sound fine but are getting relegated to lower on the totem pole. I am just not finding anything that it exels at compared to the 512c. Am I missing something? I really want to love this pre.

Compared to the 512c what does the mono gama really exel at?
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i would say that an api 512 vs a mono gama is night and day. the gama is not as quick, but allows for so many more applications (i really only use apis on toms and electric guitars).

for gamas, they are awesome one snare, bass DI, rooms sometimes, piano (!!!), and all kinds of vocals. probably one of the classiest new pres out there.
Old 15th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks Shane. I have been so busy tracking that I haven't had time to do a proper shoot out I've been comparing them on the fly. Next week I will organize a few hours to do a proper shootout. This is a pretty convincing list of sources you like it on.

Thanks for the reply.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone else? I was sure a bunch of people would jump in to share how great their gama's are.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I used them recently on overheads. I liked the "nickel" position. The mics were 451's.

-Ben B
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My experience

I have used the Mono Gamma on a few local acts and am currently using one with a major Tempe, AZ act with great results.

Successful Applications-
Outside kick (old Shure Ribbon, usually in Nickel mode)
Lead Vocals (Neumann M-149 into Retro 176 , no EQ, discrete setting; cardioid)
Elec Guitar (sm-57, nickel, into api 5500 w/ very little EQ-ing)

Situations where it was tried but not used- NONE
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
been using it on snare recently with a beyer m160 and it sounded great.
it's a really versatile, great value pre.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Shadow Hills Gama

We have a bunch of different pre's (API, Neve 1073, GML, NPNG, Daking and the SH Quad Gama is one of our fav's. All the vocals from this album we recorded last summer were recorded with the Shadow Hills Quad Gama (Nickel Setting). Four songs can be streamed from this site:

The Moores - Home

Samples of all songs can be heard on iTunes here:

Loneliness and Sorrow by The Moores - Download Loneliness and Sorrow on iTunes

Hope this helps,
Tim Cochran
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneoconnor ➑️
i would say that an api 512 vs a mono gama is night and day. the gama is not as quick, but allows for so many more applications (i really only use apis on toms and electric guitars).

for gamas, they are awesome one snare, bass DI, rooms sometimes, piano (!!!), and all kinds of vocals. probably one of the classiest new pres out there.
yep the gama is not so great for guitars.
Old 16th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the link Deuce! I used the mono gama for some vox about a month ago and found that they were clean and present which is definitely different then my La-610 that sees a lot vocal duty in my studio. I haven't used the API for vox yet.

I did record a snare with an re-20 for a R&B song a couple weeks ago through the gama and loved it but did not own the API stuff yet.

The real thing that prompted this post was that I had heard read about how good the mono gama was on electric guitar especially in the steel setting. Not my experience at all on any setting especially next to the API. AllAboutTone - Thanks for answering this.

Shaneocconer-I can't wait to hear them on my grand piano after seeing your exclamation points.

I really feel I have some good starting points to put these through there paces.

Thanks so much
Old 17th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul999 ➑️
Thanks for the link Deuce! I used the mono gama for some vox about a month ago and found that they were clean and present which is definitely different then my La-610 that sees a lot vocal duty in my studio....The real thing that prompted this post was that I had heard read about how good the mono gama was on electric guitar especially in the steel setting. Not my experience at all on any setting especially next to the API.....Thanks so much
No problem. I seem to recall an API thread where people were talking about hitting the API gain pretty hard for great elec guitar tone, not enough to clip your converter but enough to trip the peak lights on the API. Sorry can't remember the thread, may be worth a search.

Best,
Tim Cochran
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
sounds to me like you really love the 512 sound: )~ nothing wrong their, as mention hard not to love.
the MONO GAMA can excel as can the API or a great many other pres.
i have used the GAMA set on STEEL, coupled with a RE-15 just off the grill of a 62 Brown Princeton, a great TELE SLING-IN string spank-in freak right on the edge of get-in all that little amp will give,,, and if that don't sound pretty freaking awesome. well it ain't the GAMA: )~
the NICKLE setting is one of my favorites, love it on acoustics, vocals, and yes, snare drum.
the DISCREET is great for some acoustic stuff as well.
think about how the 512 fits nicely inside the sound of the GAMA and use that to the advantage it is.
some songs, some vocal, API straight up.
some songs, some vocal, GAMA straight up.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
We've got an 8 channel GAMA at the studio and I usually run it for all my drum mics except OH's and room mics. Never been dissapointed.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I spent saturday(hate working saturdays) tracking drums with api 512 on snare. I recorded with gama on snare today. This will start to get me some "real world" experience with these to compare. It was the same drum kit both days but different drummers. I must say I did not get to try both on both days but as I start mixing I will get to hear their "personalities". My initial impression, 2 days apart, is that the Gama was "cleaner" on snare but the api "dirt" was not even close to bad. I'll be recording piano before the week is out. Going to be checking them out there for sure.

Quote:
pan-think about how the 512 fits nicely inside the sound of the GAMA and use that to the advantage it is.
I'm not sure I understand what your saying here.

Suede sound-what are you using on O.H's.
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul999 ➑️
I'm not sure I understand what your saying here.

the 512 has a mid push that will really pop, something more acoustic my not need that push to set in the overall mix.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
if i had unlimited funds, i would figure out a way to set up a console with all gama pres.

we have an 8 channel box at Barefoot. There have been talks about getting another 8 in the future.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
GML's
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➑️
the 512 has a mid push that will really pop, something more acoustic my not need that push to set in the overall mix.
I understand. Tres cool.

I had this fight with my distressors too. I almost sold them and now I use them every day
Old 19th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneoconnor ➑️
if i had unlimited funds, i would figure out a way to set up a console with all gama pres.

we have an 8 channel box at Barefoot. There have been talks about getting another 8 in the future.
An eight channel Gama sold on eBay a week ago for about 4K ($500 bucks per channel, pretty good value).

Tim Cochran
Old 22nd November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Okay I get it. It was awe-some on the snare I recorded for a country ep last week. That alone is worth it. I can see how this is going to "play well" with my API stuff.

Thanks for all the insight.
πŸ“ Reply