Quantcast
Best drum samples/Vst Instruments - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best drum samples/Vst Instruments
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Best drum samples/Vst Instruments

Okay so my drum mixes never come out the way I want. I have been getting into the whole drum sample fad and it has been resulting in better, but not quite the results I am looking for yet. In the process I have gotten damn good at throwing together beats via MIDI grids on Cubase.

Where can I find big, awesome, but real sounding drums sounds in a Paramore and/or newer Underoath category of music?

I have gotten a pretty decent sound with Battery 3, SampleTank 2, Superior Drummer 2.0, Addictive Drums, and even my Roland TD-20 Module but I still have yet to find what I am looking for. Superior Drummer 2.0 is probably the closest I have gotten to this sound I am searching for but the kicks are a bit weak for my liking and overall the drums just don't stand out in the mix. Can anybody point me in the right direction. I know I am not the only person out there endlessly searching for the perfect kick, snare, and tom that will make your heart stop.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I guess you can hire a really good live drummer with a really nice kit...?
Old 14th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phroggy ➑️
I guess you can hire a really good live drummer with a really nice kit...?
Well all I would need is the nice kit in that case. But I have been finding the work flow and sound quality of samples to be way better. Plus if I don't like the sound of the drums I get it will be the same crap. I am just trying to find the right, prerecorded sounds so I can continue mixing with confidence!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Two words for you...Steven Slate

Welcome to Steven Slate Drums
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffmanwantsgear ➑️
Two words for you...Steven Slate

Welcome to Steven Slate Drums

I'm not gonna lie these are sounding pretty huge. I heard of this before but never really looked into it because the first preview I listened to sounded cheap. Now that I listened to some other ones I think I might give it a run. =D
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Anyone else have any suggestions and/or are in favor of Steven Slate drums as well?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraBrite ➑️
Anyone else have any suggestions and/or are in favor of Steven Slate drums as well?
SS drums
BFD2
are the best IMO although the cymbals aren't the greatest in ss, but very playable on the td roland kits, and you have some pretty flexible tools to work up the sound you are looking for, BFD2 is a bit tricky to set up on the td kits but once you get it going really good to very live sounding and the kits are really cool , if you can't get it going on these two you have run out of options
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Steven Slate Drums and Ocean way drums is what I use.
I have BFD as well but will sell it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgeezer ➑️
Steven Slate Drums and Ocean way drums is what I use.
I have BFD as well but will sell it.
have you tried BFD2 ?
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I know of some serious recording guys up in Connecticut that swear by BFD but to me all of his songs sound extremely digital and fake. Maybe hes just not into using the kits that sound real and I haven't yet heard what BFD can really do. Also, the price tag sort of scares me on that one.

Is there a big difference between BFD and BFD 2 as far as sound quality or does it just have a larger library?

Cymbals seem to be the problem with mostly all sample libraries. Other than using a little bit of compression, I can't seem to get them to swell realistically. For instance while hitting quarter notes on a crash with a fast tempo they sound like CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH instead of swelling. Does BFD do that correctly?

Hmm I haven't heard much about Ocean Way Drums. Looking into them now. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
We'll be releasing Evil Drums for Superior Drummer 2.0 by the end of the year... available now for BFD.

https://www.platinumsamples.com/JoeBarresi.html

Rail
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
SSD rock. I have to up my ante to get everything else (in the track) sounding as good.

I'll never go back to BFD. BFD and Pro Tools were NEVER good bed-fellows.

YMMV.
Old 15th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No one does polished modern rock like Steven Slate. If you go to his front page there's a paramore cover among the samples on the left side. There's also someone on his forums working to perfect the paramore sound. There are literally thousands of examples of people using SSD- from nobodies on the internet to major releases you hear on the radio. Pretty easy to figure out how they might sound in your productions.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica ➑️
No one does polished modern rock like Steven Slate. If you go to his front page there's a paramore cover among the samples on the left side. There's also someone on his forums working to perfect the paramore sound. There are literally thousands of examples of people using SSD- from nobodies on the internet to major releases you hear on the radio. Pretty easy to figure out how they might sound in your productions.
I saw that! That's what caught my eye when I went to his page and I thought it sounded pretty awesome.

The drums are kinda similar to my TD-20 sounds which isn't a bad thing. I do agree with what someone said that the cymbals are a bit lacking but I guess I can do the Steven Slate Drums with Superior Drummer 2 cymbals.

I'm surprised that some of the biggest online music companies that sell Superior Drummer, Addictive Drums, BFD, etc. don't sell Steven Slate drums with all of this favoring toward it. Hmmm. I think I am pretty much sold on it though.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I guess I can do the Steven Slate Drums with Superior Drummer 2 cymbals.
Works for me, but I'm still a no-body
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Heat ➑️
Works for me, but I'm still a no-body
Awesome! And I have to agree with what you said earlier about pro tools.

Well, I would rather get advice from a no-body than no-body at all.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
steven slate drums is the way to go. Someone actually posted the actual sample that Paramore used on their last album "Bright New Eyes" (i think thats what its called lol), sure you could find it if ya search
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 ➑️
have you tried BFD2 ?
I compared the demos in the studio and found SSD and Ocean way drums more professional sounding. Just my 0.02 $
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
SSD is afordable beauty.

Start small and build with ad ons.

It's nice to have that option.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I compared the demos in the studio and found SSD and Ocean way drums more professional sounding. Just my 0.02 $
Curious, which one would you prefer?

Ocean way or SSD?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

AFAIK SSD and Ocean Way both come pre-mixed, whereas BFD is unprocessed. Also, check out the Platinum Sample kits for BFD, they are a big step up from the standard ones that come with it.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
SS drums are weak
platinum bfd series are much finer
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My advice is to go for Superior SDX packs.

greetz,

Paul
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey guys,

I've put together a little guide that might help inject a little more life into your drum programming, just for my Slutz!

It's free, of course.

You can find it here:
Adding groove and 'pocket' to programmed drums - A FREE Guide

Enjoy!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have the Bob Clearmountain set which I use a lot.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Drums are very subjective. I'd listen to all the demos from various manufacturers, figure out which one serves you best, and go for it. Or two. None of them are bad, but all are quite different.

BTW you should see SSD in most major online retail stores.. Musicians Friend, GC, Samash, AudioMidi, Midistore, Full Compass, Sweetwater..
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
It's not a vst (well not entirely)... but I found Native Instruments Maschine to be simply awesome. Thousands of samples with sample editing capabilities, really cool effects and a niftyl USB apc pad-like controller that isnt' even necessary to run the software (which incidentally can run in standalone and as a plugin).
Old 16th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have been very happy with EZdrummer, the younger brother of Superior Drummer, In my opinion, Toontrack's they sound more "real". It is incredibly easy & flexible to program. I play out with some pretty good drummers and I have had a few musicians ask me which one I used to record.

I think it really depends on the style of music you are going after.

You can check out how they sound in a mix in the link before. All of the tunes use EZDrummer.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots Rock ➑️

You can check out how they sound in a mix in the link before. All of the tunes use EZDrummer.
Nice! Nashville Ezx?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I have way too many drum VSTis (BFD2, SSD, OWD Gold, Drumcore 3, Stylus RMX, RM V, Guru, Drum Masters, Jim Rosebery Purffect Drums, and just got Superior 2 (but havent used it yet).)

For me BFD 2 with the Platinum Samples kits are the best in class. I really like the BFD interface and find it easy to use.

SSD sounds nice and polished and if it has the sound you are looking for, then its great. I am not crazy about the Kontakt interface and am waiting for the long promised BFD2 version of SSD.)

OWD drums also sound great.

I think the good news is that there are tons of options and for the most part they all sound pretty good. I don't think you will feel cheated with whatever you get.
πŸ“ Reply