Quantcast
The pseudo-Mono mix check method - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The pseudo-Mono mix check method
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The pseudo-Mono mix check method

Yesterday I was mixing for a few hours, not very fatiguing thanks to the nature of my monitors and also my moderate-low volume of working. But after a while I felt like I was losing perspective, I couldn't tell what's wrong anymore with a particular section. (given it is a very complex song arrangement with about 165 tracks and 20+ different instruments in total ) So I turned my head to one side to grab my coffee cup.

Maybe it's the way my monitors are positioned (wrongly?) but I found this sweet spot with just one ear facing the centre line of both speakers. Immediately I was returned to a normal listener's perspective, and I started noticing a lot of things are not sitting right, there were some really "duh" moments - how could I have missed that? And when I corrected them and returned to "stereo" listening wow everything cleared up much better.

I do have a "sum to mono" switch on my monitor controller and I use it sometimes to check balance, but it works differently from this.

Anyone else has a similar experience of the usefulness of this pseudo mono technique?
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudade ➡️
Yesterday I was mixing for a few hours, not very fatiguing thanks to the nature of my monitors and also my moderate-low volume of working. But after a while I felt like I was losing perspective, I couldn't tell what's wrong anymore with a particular section. (given it is a very complex song arrangement with about 165 tracks and 20+ different instruments in total ) So I turned my head to one side to grab my coffee cup.

Maybe it's the way my monitors are positioned (wrongly?) but I found this sweet spot with just one ear facing the centre line of both speakers. Immediately I was returned to a normal listener's perspective, and I started noticing a lot of things are not sitting right, there were some really "duh" moments - how could I have missed that? And when I corrected them and returned to "stereo" listening wow everything cleared up much better.

I do have a "sum to mono" switch on my monitor controller and I use it sometimes to check balance, but it works differently from this.

Anyone else has a similar experience of the usefulness of this pseudo mono technique?
I find going away from the speakers into the hallway and listening there is a very good way of checking the balance of mixes.
Old 14th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
the real lesson here is not in the magic bullet of this method or that method but in the breaking of routine and pattern.

Perfect vision is non-expectation.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…