The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to upsample?
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
How to upsample?

I've read a lot about people up-sampling a finished mix, say one at 24/41 to 24/96 before sending it off for mastering, and that there some improvements in quality like the top end.

I'm unsure of how to do this. I have Sonar, and was looking into buying Sound Forge. Would I just export my Sonar audio to 24/96? Or would it need to be done some other way, possibly with Sound Forge?
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have only ever heard a difference in higher sample rates when summing. At 48 and 96 the high end is a tad clearer while 44.1 tends to smear. Any DAW will give you the option of bit depth / sample rate settings when exporting/bouncing to disk. I'm not sure about Sonar, but PT is limited by what hardware you have (96 IO or 192 IO)
Old 14th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfosk ➡️
I have only ever heard a difference in higher sample rates when summing. At 48 and 96 the high end is a tad clearer while 44.1 tends to smear. Any DAW will give you the option of bit depth / sample rate settings when exporting/bouncing to disk. I'm not sure about Sonar, but PT is limited by what hardware you have (96 IO or 192 IO)
Do mean you hear a difference when sampling DOWN to 44.1 from a project that was recorded at 96? I can't imagine how bouncing at 96 from a project that was done entirely at 44.1 would make a difference.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You would want to upsample the tracks prior to mixing, or capture an analog 2-mix at a higher rate as I often do using my Tascam DV-RA1000HD. Reasons for upsampling the original tracks may include avoidance of aliasing distortion from nonlinear plugins and gentler filters from converters, although the resampler is going to do a degree of damage that's unavoidable in getting there.

Just taking your finished 44.1/48K mixdown and upsampling it to 96K isn't going to help I don't think, unless your converter has a poor oversampler (as all modern pro DACs do upsample 44.1 when converting afaik). I would let mastering handle all transformations of the captured mixdown on their end.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder ➡️
Do mean you hear a difference when sampling DOWN to 44.1 from a project that was recorded at 96? I can't imagine how bouncing at 96 from a project that was done entirely at 44.1 would make a difference.

what i meant to say was that summing 44.1/48k then upsampling to 96k will sound a little less defined in the upper end then summing 96k stems, but that is obvious because you're basically just upsampling a 44.1/48 source. There is something in summing itself that also sounds different i.e. summing at 96k then down sampling to 48k will still sound better than 48k summing and keeping at the same sample rate. Basically just follow the general rule that the better the sources, the better the product. (crap in / crap out)

Theres enough of a difference to my ears that I dont create any stems lower than 48k, ...44.1 summed to 44.1 sounds just enough worse than 48k sources summed to 48k and down sampled to 44.1 that its not worth the saved space. A lot of times its not an issue, but if you have to sum 40+ tracks it can really help gain a tiny bit of clarity especially at 96k. You could also get into whether or not you're doing OTB summing and how the D/A plays into all of that, but i think that's a whole new thread.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i record and mix at 88.2kHz
in the DAW, i always create a reference track
i got to upsample the 44.1 CD file to 88.2kHz
than, i got peaks at +2db in the virtual mixer
if i lower the fader to get the peaks at 0db, the reference track isn´t as loud as it should be
if i leave the fader at 0, the reference track is as loud as on cd and better for reference
i tried some applications for SRC operations and almost got this db raise, this are intersample peaks, right?
do you know an upsampling application that doesn´t manipulate the audio, just does the 44.1 to 88.2?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…