Quantcast
Recording Very Dynamic Vocals With 2 Mics - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording Very Dynamic Vocals With 2 Mics
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Recording Very Dynamic Vocals With 2 Mics

I have read two articles recently which talk about using -two- microphones for lead vocals simultaneously -- as a way to handle vocalists with extreme dynamic range (like metal). One is right next to the guy's face, the other 12" away for the screaming bits.
Any one here doing this? Any tips?

I thought about trying this years ago but discarded the idea because of problems matching the sound from two mic ... maybe if they were matching (or better quality?)

I was also kinda skeptical because I've watched opera singers get recorded and they don't need 2 stinkin' mics despite ENORMOUS dynamic range. (Of course, they have about 1,200% more vocal control than I do.)

But -me-? I can never seem to get a sound that's full enough on the quiet bits without pinning the needle on the loud parts.

Your thoughts?

---JC
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I read in Mix that the engineer who tracked the vox on Aladdin (forget his name, has done tons of animated films, now does the voiceovers for pixar's movies) did this for Robin Williams parts. Kept a separate mic about a foot back, slightly lower to ground and bent horizontaly. Its a good technique if your worried about your main mic clipping.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…