Quantcast
500 pre/compressor combo - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
500 pre/compressor combo
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
500 pre/compressor combo

I just started using 500 series compressors, I found a Action new for 500.00, so far I really love the thing.
For you 500 guys what have you found to be you fav pre/compressor combo for, bass, snare, kick, vocals.
The flavor of the Action is sweet, what would the 525 excel on?

Thanks

Understand My racks are full of Preamps and I'm adding compressors slowly.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I haven't used it , but I have read alot that the 525 is the best on Vocals .
Old 12th November 2009 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
The BAC 500 is a seriously nice 500 series compressor, the sidechain settings on board really help to tailor things nicely as well. It holds things in place nicely and predictably with a great tone.

The Safe Sound Audio P501 combines a clean-ish preamp with one of the nicest vocal / bass compressors I've ever used. Very easy to dial in, more of a control piece that stays out of the way rather than "character". It has a separate limiter as well.

War
Old 13th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➑️
The BAC 500 is a seriously nice 500 series compressor, the sidechain settings on board really help to tailor things nicely as well. It holds things in place nicely and predictably with a great tone.

The Safe Sound Audio P501 combines a clean-ish preamp with one of the nicest vocal / bass compressors I've ever used. Very easy to dial in, more of a control piece that stays out of the way rather than "character". It has a separate limiter as well.

War
Thanks for the info War, I hope to get a BAC 500 someday, yikes those thing are high $$$ units.
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
For me the 525 is best on acoustic GTR because I like what it does most for that application. Though this thing is OLD SCHOOL!!!! Its thick and meaty with a nice clear gain action and always clamps the audio musically. Its pretty cool for bass. I don't really dig them on kick and snare, as much I as I dig the Action for that application.

That thing is impressive for more percussive elements. Its tone and weight favor the source, while it grips the audio and keeps it right where it needs to. You can get it snarling hard, so just put a piece of gaffers tape over the reduction meter, and use your ears. Lights are deceiving. I LOVE the thing for tightening kick and snare, but its very much a friend for toms and OH's during mix time. You can make toms shoot out of the speaker with the Action. its sick.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell ➑️
I as I dig the Action for that application.

That thing is impressive for more percussive elements. Its tone and weight favor the source, while it grips the audio and keeps it right where it needs to. You can get it snarling hard, so just put a piece of gaffers tape over the reduction meter, and use your ears. Lights are deceiving.
I have already figured that one out, plus its a sweet unit just running a signal through.
btw, I see you are from foxboro, Love them PATS !!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I gotta second the BAC 500 comp. It's by far the best 500 series comp ive used, although i still havent heard all of what is out there. But as far as the comps i have heard/used (purple action, buzz potion, BAC 500, Chandler Little Devil, API 525) i really think the BAC 500 is at the top of the heap.

thumbsupthumbsup

The Little Devil was really fun though, id love to spend some more time with one of those.

I also have my eye on the Shadow Hills Optograph...that thing looks WICKED and i would LOVE to get the chance to hear one.

But im really thinking i need to add a BAC 500 or two to my lunchbox real soon.

πŸ“ Reply