Quantcast
Intelligent people wanted:Latency strangeness.. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Intelligent people wanted:Latency strangeness..
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Intelligent people wanted:Latency strangeness..

Hi all you smart people on the board. =)

Here's something that's bugging me....

I am just teting a Ssl Alphalink-Madiextreme-setup because I want to get away from my old, very working but not very compatible, Protools Mix-Logic environment and I find that the latency in the SSL is too much for me to take while playing or singing.
I am a freelance bassplayer and the last 20 years I have been working and always trying to improve my timing and my groove and with protools I have no problem with latency at all BUT with the ssl I find my brain trying to "hunt the beat" in some way...making my bass tracks go all over the place timing-wise.

Today I made a test just to see if it was all in my head and the strangest thing appeared...

I took a aif file containing 8 short clicks of sine wave and routed it out and in again via analogue out-in from the SSL Alpha Link.
Then I zoomed in in the arrange in Logic (yes I know it's not 100% accurate but it's enough for what I was trying to see) and when I delayed the recorded track it proved to be around 2 ms latency. That I guess I can't be bothered by BUT here's the weird thing that I cant understand....When I then armed a second track (Audiofile tr 1 out- in-rec tr 2- out-in rec track 3 (following me??;-) the delay between my recorded track and the track that recorded from the playback of the recorded track was 5.7 ms...?? How's that?
When I armed another track to record from the playback of the second recording track(!;-)) I got the same 5.7 ms latency....

I then tried the same thing in my protools rig where it gave me 2 ms latency on the first track and then 2ms between all the other tracks.

In other words , in protools out-in-out-in it was allways 2 ms latency where as in SSL it was out-in 2ms out again in again 5.7ms....

I guess there's a completely logical explanation out there that I just don't know but I am trying to get to grips with how this **** affects the roundtrip om my bass input into ssl-logic.

PLEASE ...I am in need of some serious help...;-)
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
- Re-recording something like you did should be sample accurate in a full delay compensating system (i don't know Logic, but I know Cubendo does this).

- The madiXtreme cards do not support direct monitoring (DM) so you will always hear the I/O delay. That's written in the manual and if you need DM you should take a look at RME's madi card or consider x2 sample rates (your latency halves).

- If you play bass and stand 3 feet in front of your amp you already have a 3ms latency between your playing and the moment you hear your playing. It depends on people's sensitivity but in general a latency <10ms is not heard.

Herwig
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
so, maybe I'm nuts but the latency in the ssl system really gets to me while the latency in my protools (2ms) don't so....
I perfectly well knew that the madi didnt have any direct monitoring. I was so in the blue and thought that todays native stuff would manage to roundtrip without me being affected by it...

The conclusion of my test is that somewhere in logic, be it the un-buffererd'ity of material that's being recorded from an external source or be it the routing , takes an extra 3.x ms and that on top of the systems initial slightly less than 2 ms is enough to destroy it for me....
๐Ÿ“ Reply