AKG c414 XLS or XLS-B - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AKG c414 XLS or XLS-B
Old 12th November 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
AKG c414 XLS or XLS-B

Hey Guys,

Is there any difference between the AKG c414 XLS and XLS-B. I know the XLS has the in between patterns. Is there any other difference?

Thanks
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Um... I think you mean the C414B-XLS or the C414B-ULS, no?
Old 12th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah Sorry
Old 12th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
They are very similar - all the same features but the XLS is AKG's newer and allegedly updated model. Some people argue that the ULS is better, others don't. I haven't tried them back to back so don't want to enter into that but they are both nice mics and I wouldn't have any qualms about either.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsykes ➑️
Hey Guys,

Is there any difference between the AKG c414 XLS and XLS-B. I know the XLS has the in between patterns. Is there any other difference?

Thanks
The XLS uses electronic switches for the rolloff, pad, and pattern and the ULS has the older analog switches. The XLS has the wide cardioid pattern in addition to the traditional ones.
Old 6th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wonder whether the initial question would'nt be rather about the difference between the C414B-XLS and the newest C414 XLS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKG web site
The new models C 414 XLS and C 414 XL II offer nine pickup patterns which enable to choose the perfect setting for every application. For live-sound applications and permanent installations all controls can be disabled easily for trouble-free use. A Peak Hold LED displays even shortest overload peaks.
The C 414 XLS maintains the sonic character of the legendary C 414 B-ULS, the longest-lived C 414 model. Engineered for highest linearity and neutral sound, it is the most universal and versatile large diaphragm microphone for decades. Widely used for accurate, beautifully detailed pickup of any acoustic instrument the new C 414 XLS combines proven reference quality, leading-edge technology and state-of-the-art components.
Did someone compare these new mics to their 'B' counterparts C414 B-XLS and C414 B-TLII ?
Old 6th January 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I am very curious about this too. Or actually how well the XLS and the B-XLS stands up to the B-ULS, sinces i've listened to samples recording of the B-ULS and like what i hear.

I've gotten a deal on a B-XLS and wondering if i should go for that one or spend a little bit more and get the newer XLS-model.
Old 15th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
did anyone figure out the difference between the 414BXL2 and the newer 414XL2?
trying to decide right now- they have a pair of the older ones at the local shop still.
I like the idea of the additional patterns on the new model... anything else?
anyone compared the two?
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
C414B XLS is discontinued

XLS and XLII are current models.
XLII has different freq response tailored to vocals. XLS was designed for multiple use as well as Vocals.

Read for yourself
http://www.akg.com/site/powerslave,i...nguage,EN.html
πŸ“ Reply