Quantcast
Do you pan your snares? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Do you pan your snares?
Old 13th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
snare should never be in the center! just slightly on the left or right. kick is straight at 0. not snare.....never ever :-)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As a drummer my snare drum sits right between my legs. To me dead center makes sense but whatever sounds in the mix should be the deciding factor..
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
if you have two tracks of something, so you ever pan hard left and hard right 100%??????

if so what things do you hard pan???????

do you ever pan double track vocals hard left and hard right?????
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
it depends, but for mixes I don't slam the drums to one side, I match it up to the stereo imagry of my overheads till it feels right.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the middle. I always keep it the back of my mind that I want my mixes to sound like a "live show on steriods", and from the audiences prospective, the snare and (all drums ) are right down the middle vision wise and usually sound wise as well . The kick and snare are the two parts of the drums I let rest where they would truely be live. Plus it helps to hold everything thing down when the "on steriods" factors of spatial positioning play in regarding the drums (panning of overheads and toms)
Old 14th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JALFK ➡️
OT: Hey man, I know your just joking, but I've seen this quite a lot recently, someone saying +1, then someone saying +2 etc.

Just to clarify, although there are no rules, doesn't +1 literally translate to "and me". So, for example, +2, after someone had said +1, would literally mean "and me and someone (?) else" ? lol

Just me and my posse! Yeah Gangzta....
Old 17th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM Productions ➡️
I've always had issues with this debate, as well as 'audience perspective vs drummer perspective'. I like panning overs and rooms because it adds size to the drums, I like panning toms because it sounds cool, not because I think thats how the audience hears it. What audience member has ever sat close enough to a drum set to get the Hi Hat 100% right and ride 100% left. as an audience member, just picture where your head would have to be to actually hear the snare off center....
I love it when someone can totally bring my world crashing down with something so simple. Thank you for that! Haha, makes me really think...doesn't change my panning though
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
You also need to consider the panning of the snare mic vs. the snare portion picked up by the OHs....at least old-fashioned folks like me who work without sample-enhancement need to do it.

Checking in one-speaker mono is best for this. I don't think that any listener will notice or care about a snare being slightly panned but fine-tuning it might make a big difference in impact and panning in mono is great for that.
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moore ➡️
As a drummer my snare drum sits right between my legs. To me dead center makes sense but whatever sounds in the mix should be the deciding factor..
I think this debate is getting a bit out of context as people are talking about an instrument they don't have experience with.... (similar to how people angle toms OTT because they don't understand how to hit a drum properly).

I personally think snares should be panned in the center. But..... if you are going from a "photorealism blah" POV, then Keith Moore is absolutely correct - if anything "should" be panned, it's the bass drum. The snare is the center of the drum kit, not the kick.

For anyone who wishes to argue this point, you first need to learn to play drums. You make a "v" with your legs - hat and kick - with the snare DEAD center. When I play, I adjust to the accuracy of about ~10mm as I'm extremely uncomfortable playing when it's not right. This is why when a kit is set up absolutely perfectly, the bass drum is very slightly angled outwards to the right (from the drummers POV).

So going back to panning. Technically, if you must pan for some rediculous photorealism concept, you're panning the wrong bloomin thing!

But why would you pan a bass frequency component? You wouldn't.

So don't pan either!

I willingly accept criticism for what I have just said provided you make a point with evidence and don't just state "what you think". As this thread has already seen 2 pages of "what I think" either way.

Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I listen to the OH first and pan the snare where it´s located in the OH.
I always record the kick in the OH centre.
So the snare is panned a lill to the left (I mix drummers perspective).
The snare bottom mic I most often pan slightly to the oposite (to the right), but it all depends on how much I use this sound. Occasionally it sounds best melted in the snare top mic. Than I´ll pan both the same.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss ➡️
if you have two tracks of something, so you ever pan hard left and hard right 100%??????

if so what things do you hard pan???????

do you ever pan double track vocals hard left and hard right?????
Acoustic guitars! Different mics on the same take creates a great sounding frequency pan!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…