Soundscapes. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundscapes.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Soundscapes.

Hi

Can anyone suggest a synth, keyboard for creating soundscapes?

I guess Brian Eno's - An ending is the best example I could give.

YouTube - Brian Eno - An Ending (Ascent)

Thanks

Andrew
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Try Korg Wavestation, Roland JD800, NI Absynth or Waldorf MicroWave.

Just to name a few..
Old 11th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
You want to create them, or just have them? Atmosphere has half a billion presets, all organized by texture.

If you're creating them, imo you'll need a lot of synths of differing kinds. All the common ones apply, but one often overlooked gem is the kawai k5. Makes a great contrast to all the lushness of analog and wavestation-type swells and sprinkles.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1 on the Omnisphere! It's awesome

Bryant - Hames Music
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Its a pain in the ass, because in Ireland music shops don't stock this kind of gear.

Checked some stuff on youtube I guess its imposible to describe in words, what I'm looking for, really gentle swells like a hundred people all hummimg!!
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
It's not just the synth -- you have to use delays, pitch transposition and so forth to get them really distinctive IMO
Old 12th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Get a cheap Virus A of ebay or somewhere else. Then use the randomize function on it on any generic pad preset. This gets weird and wonderful pretty quick. Layer 3, et voila, an ambient sound.

No really, synths with randomize functions are freaking great. I love using f** ked up patches as small atmospheric intros as layers underneath other melodic stuff. The Virus A (never got around to all its siblings) has served me wel for this.
Old 12th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey A ➑️
It's not just the synth -- you have to use delays, pitch transposition and so forth to get them really distinctive IMO
Ah, yes. Also buy the Soundtoys plugins. On extreme setting, the Crystalizer and Echoboy plugs are ambient heaven.
Old 21st November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Omnisphere from Spectrasonics is a great choice for soundscapes. There are over 4,000 patches available for it which includes a 40 GB library. You can create your own sounds or modify existing patches to make even more unique sounds and it comes with a state of the art browser to narrow down what type of sound you are looking for.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Eno ...

Just wanted to say that i have followed and been a fan of eno s personal work and his other work and he has used many synths and tools [recently the Kaos pads] over time..He was able to get amazing and very unique personal sounds out of the DX7 as well as a prophet 5 + plenty other instruments..I think his aproach to ideas and sound play a big role..Im not saying that the instruments are not important but imho i think its his open mind and work attitude towards the process that yields his results..
Of course,you might just be interested in certain sounds or textures he arrived at of which is interesting in itself...
Hope he stays in music making/creating for years to come...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For my soundscapes and instrument creations, I use Ableton Live and Kontakt. I can do pretty much anything between those 2 programs.
πŸ“ Reply