Quantcast
SM7B Common question but wanted to verify - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SM7B Common question but wanted to verify
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
SM7B Common question but wanted to verify

I've read a lot about the low output of the SM7B so perhaps this shouldn't be a surprise for me. I recently acquired one and a great river pre. I'm recording into the GR with its output level all the way up and the input gain at 45 or 50. I'm also running out of that through an RNC. The RNC is on supernice.

Surprisingly, I have to crank the RNC output all the way up, along with the GR all the way up to get a medium signal recorded. Sorry, I'm not at home to give the actual decibel level)

I'm going into input 5 on a Digi 002r and the singer is of average power.

Is that normal? I'm getting a great sound, it's just a bit weak and I've already got the Great River up to 45-50 which is beyond transparent at that point. (I love what I'm getting but I worry if I ever have the need for a more transparent, lower gain setting in the future)

I'd expect a modest signal but I would think cranking the Great River AND the compressor would get me much hotter.

Any comments? Should I simply expect that as normal and deal with it?
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Take the compressor out of the chain, make sure that the button for input 5 is set to +4, not -10 on the digi 002.

With the loading switch in, turn the input gain up until the loudest peaks light up the the first yellow light. Then while monitoring input level in pro tools, turn the output gain up until it ***peaks*** between -5 and -3 db.

After that level is set correctly, hook up the compressor, and set it so the output level in pro tools is peaking at the same -5 -3 levels.

The GR has more than enough gain to cleaning drive an sm7, it sounds like you are over compressing or the +4/-10 on the digi is set incorrectly.
Old 10th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks a lot. I'll go through it all tonight and get it worked out.
Old 11th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My SM7B requires around 60dB for my applications. Maybe just crank your pre-amp?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Insert the RNC at the Great River.Will make a difference.Adam Brass posted about this a few days ago.Search...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy1533 ➑️
Insert the RNC at the Great River.Will make a difference.Adam Brass posted about this a few days ago.Search...
This is covered in the GR manual.
Old 12th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jono_3 ➑️
Take the compressor out of the chain, make sure that the button for input 5 is set to +4, not -10 on the digi 002.

With the loading switch in, turn the input gain up until the loudest peaks light up the the first yellow light. Then while monitoring input level in pro tools, turn the output gain up until it ***peaks*** between -5 and -3 db.

After that level is set correctly, hook up the compressor, and set it so the output level in pro tools is peaking at the same -5 -3 levels.

The GR has more than enough gain to cleaning drive an sm7, it sounds like you are over compressing or the +4/-10 on the digi is set incorrectly.
Great troubleshooting advice.

I would definitely not record levels that hot in PT though. -12 is hot enough after you've done the above calibration.
Old 12th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks guys, I had to switch the digi input...so rookie but I don't claim to be anything more. In fact, I aspire to reach rookiness lol! At least I know I can't blame my mic or preamp anymore I had already read about inserting the rnc but hadn't had the time to experiment with it. That's next. I can't wait. Thanks for all the great advice.

Regardless, even with my initial low level, I'm really loving the sound I'm getting with the combo. In fact, the RNC is a nice and transparent way to simply tame the input. The mic and pre give a great color already and, if I want to tweak the color, I can do the rest with plugins.

I also can't wait to test a bass into the D/I.
Old 23rd November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I realized I never followed up with this thread. So...After switching the input on the Digi and patching in the RNC instead of running it in line, I've gotten unbelievable results. The signal is definitely as hot as I want and the spectrum of sounds I can get with this combo is truly inspiring.
πŸ“ Reply