Quantcast
Have you heard John Mayer's Battle Studies yet? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Have you heard John Mayer's Battle Studies yet?
Old 17th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I didn't like it at first. I'm starting to though. I think that Continuum was on a whole other layer compared to this album. I personally think Crossroads could have been a lot better. I am not a fan of that ugly guitar sound. I am a huge Michael Brauer fan but I'm not a big fan of this album yet. It sounds like there are a lot of 80s aspects to it and the songwriting doesn't seem fully thought out in some of the songs. My opinion as of now...could change in a week. Or a day.

Jeff
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heisleyamor ➑️
I didn't like it at first. I'm starting to though. I think that Continuum was on a whole other layer compared to this album. I personally think Crossroads could have been a lot better. I am not a fan of that ugly guitar sound. I am a huge Michael Brauer fan but I'm not a big fan of this album yet. It sounds like there are a lot of 80s aspects to it and the songwriting doesn't seem fully thought out in some of the songs. My opinion as of now...could change in a week. Or a day.

Jeff
I don't really like that guitar sound as well, I was hoping for more in that song when I saw the tracklist. But I think some of the songs are really good
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I thought the first record was filled with brilliant lyrics.

Quote:
Cause I wonder sometimes
about the outcome
of a still verdictless life
What happened to that John Mayer?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great ➑️
I thought the first record was filled with brilliant lyrics.

What happened to that John Mayer?
He's going backwards, beatles went from 'love love me do' to 'happiness is a warm gun' and JM is going from that to boobies. It happens. It's all about the boobies now.
Old 19th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I agree with one of the previous posters in that the sounds of this record are reminiscent of The Eagles and Dire Straits. Not a lot though... just a pinch. I like it.

I've listened through it a handful of times and it's a good album. Good songs presented by a good artist that are recorded/mixed well.... the trifecta.
Old 19th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarbth ➑️
I agree with one of the previous posters in that the sounds of this record are reminiscent of The Eagles and Dire Straits. Not a lot though... just a pinch. I like it.

I've listened through it a handful of times and it's a good album. Good songs presented by a good artist that are recorded/mixed well.... the trifecta.
Oddly enough I saw an interview last week where he stated that he was looking to get that Eagles/California laid back vibe on this one. He spoke also about predictability and trying to change things up as to grow as an artist. I can understand and appreciate the effort as there is so much cliche work currently in the industry, keep'em guessing is a bold approach imo. I recorded a new concert on the DVR this week and will likely check it out this weekend in between football games, the last one I saw was the "Where The Light Is" Blu-Ray and it was pretty damned good. The way I see it is you cant please all the people all the time so you just make a call and go with it... or cave to the cliche's and end up being like so many other canned acts that are commiting career suicide...trends come and go and there are several million sellers who's time is almost up. (thank god)
Old 23rd November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
a very, very nice sounding record.

i will agree with the comment that it can fairly easily become background music though... but its a nice, relaxing record.
Old 24th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Here's the thing...debut had great stuff...Continuum is a pop masterpiece, IMO. Trio was a cool vibey "off the cuff" bluesy rock thing. But, this ranks alongside Heavier Things as, well, a pretty boring "almost, but not quite" record.

He showed great tasty restraint asa player on Continuum. Here, he just barely PLAYS guitar. This isn't restraint. This is just misunderstanding what your talent is. The guy never has been much of a singer. His songs are good...but, rarely "great" as material.

He's got Jordan sounding mostly like some loop library...with different drum sounds on every song, which I find distracting and disjointed. Pino is playing bass like...well, like it could be anyone thumping the 8th notes.

There are some good songs, but they get lost in the el boring arrangements. The whole thing sounds like a demo of tracks that might make a good record once they actually had full arrangements. Half of My Heart would've been a lot catchier if he'd let Taylor sing more like a real duet. He just sings SO low...hard to make it hook my ear. Assassin is one of the better tunes, but should hit harder than it does with it's distant verb'd out sounds--it woulda been better drier and just a skooch faster.

Oh, well. He's a good player and seems like a nice guy. This just seems like something that was thrown together in a week and released for the holiday shopping season.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
from his little blurb about how he compressed the songwriting, recording, producing, etc, into one, it finally dawned on me that what he's really saying is that he screwed around the past year or two and didn't bother to write new material. half baked ideas that would have not gotten that far when doing real songwriting seemed to be what this album is made entirely of.

i still have no idea why he decided to not play his guitar beyond just basic stuff when he's gone so far out of his way to be taken seriously as a guitarist. this album confuses me; seems like an backward step to early 2000's sorority rock. oh well, can't expect much from major label artists anymore anyways.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifier ➑️
It's all about the boobies now.
Now? I thought it was always about the boobies, always... ;-)

Battle Studies continues to grow on me. "Assassin", "Who Says", "All We Ever Do Is Say Goodbye", "Crossroads" and "I'm On Fire" are definitely the high points... the rest still feels like Mayer treading water. Here's hoping the next album is "Continuum Continuued" and he rediscovers his Stratocaster.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
wow. I guess I am the only one who thinks he is total bullsh*t surrounded by great musicians.

John Mayer is uninspiring writer, boring voice, and steals guitar licks from great players real well, I guess that is his best talent.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann ➑️
Assassin is one of the better tunes, but should hit harder than it does with it's distant verb'd out sounds--it woulda been better drier and just a skooch faster.
I must say I love the verbs on that one. Great ambience, makes the song.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K ➑️
wow. I guess I am the only one who thinks he is total bullsh*t surrounded by great musicians.

John Mayer is uninspiring writer, boring voice, and steals guitar licks from great players real well, I guess that is his best talent.

Come on, don't hold back. heh

I disagree with this assessment for his first record. I found it inspired, found his voice interesting, and heard guitar licks different than any I had heard before. Yes, still very pop, but good pop i.m.o. I've heard none of that since, sadly.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great ➑️
Come on, don't hold back. heh

I disagree with this assessment for his first record. I found it inspired, found his voice interesting, and heard guitar licks different than any I had heard before. Yes, still very pop, but good pop i.m.o. I've heard none of that since, sadly.
I respectfully disagree.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Springsteen Cover (I'm On Fire) is awesome... favorite track on the record. It's all pretty good though.
I second the reverb question... I was surprised to hear a lot of big deep sounding verb on the vox.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I respectfully disagree.
For instance I love the guitar lick on Neon. I think all players stoled their licks from someone, gotta start somewhere.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

This is the most ignorant statement I've yet read on GS, and there's been a bunch.

Why don't you go ahead and post some of your original material since you're apparently such a stud?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by choinga ➑️
This is the most ignorant statement I've yet read on GS, and there's been a bunch.

Why don't you go ahead and post some of your original material since you're apparently such a stud?
heh

He does have a pretty serious reputation, actually. Regardless, it is an opinion, everybody has them and they are all valid. Musical tastes are very subjective, and not right or wrong.
RTR
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifier ➑️
He's going backwards, beatles went from 'love love me do' to 'happiness is a warm gun' and JM is going from that to boobies. It happens. It's all about the boobies now.
Ya it's hard keeping up with nickleback, their whole album is just silly sexual!
Old 25th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by choinga ➑️

wow, you approach a conflicting opinion like a 12 year child.

What is ignorant?
Listen to Stevie Ray for guitar licks, motown for melody, and lyrics are a personal thing, I will not judge anyone on that basis.

A personal reason I do not like him: he screwed a good friend of mine over big time. I thought his music was paper thin before that, but that made me dislike him on a personal level.

Oh, I agree that all the albums are recorded and mixed A+

Great band around him though thumbsup !!

Enjoy "Your Body Is A Wonderland" that was a great song for targeting 14 year old girls. I respect that one as a solid pop song. I am sure that is what 'hooked' you based on your post. that or the 'daughters' song. heh

On a side note, I apologize to everyone for entering this thread and coming across as rude. I will not interfere anymore and disrupt any meaningful posts.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Springsteen cover isn't on the album, FWIW...it was download only from only one of the sites--don't remember which.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
really looking forward to this new record, haven't purchased yet... will post back with first impressions soon.

"continuum" was AMAZING in all aspects: songs, playing, production. best album of 06/07 hands down. no competition. in my top 10 of all time maybe...

those who think that album is "boring" or whatever just haven't really listened, or have let the pop star image cloud their judgement.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_music ➑️

those who think that album is "boring" or whatever just haven't really listened, or have let the pop star image cloud their judgement.
Either that or they just found it boring.
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I've now listened to it the whole way through maybe five times. I's definately growing and the most interesting thing to me is because it's not smashed to bits my amp hasn't been up so loud in ages. Give it a good crank and to my ears it comes alive and is for sure one to stick in the car for a late night drive.

I love Steve's playing on the whole album. To play so simply yet super tight takes amazing discipline. If you play drums yourself have a look at his 'The Groove Is Here' DVD.

I also really dig the tone of the Rhythm Guitar part on Crossroads, like blues Guiter crossed with a Clav.

Subtle is the word on this album.
Old 2nd December 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
i'm quite surprised by the number of people who prefer his earlier work. i have really enjoyed seeing how his career has progressed. i don't really care about the celebrity stuff, i think most of us have plenty of blemishes on our personal lives and i, for one, am thankful that the paparazzi hasn't been following me every step of the way. i see so much progress in terms of guitar playing, singing, and producing from room for squares to here.

i certainly agree that his first efforts were much better than average, and i still love to listen to (and try to play along with) tunes like neon and why georgia, among other early gems. but his singing is so much stronger now, he doesn't use near as much breath and has found a vocal chain to deliver his style (it might not be yours or mine, but he sounds nothing like dave. when john comes on i know it's john, the same way i know tom petty is tom petty, dave is dave, etc.)

what i disliked about his early efforts are the things he has cut down on. the synth flute solos, the jingle bells, the programmed drums, the over-worked acoustic guitar parts, the heavy handed mastering and radio mixes...all gone. he was trying too hard, especially on the acoustic voicings with respect to the bass parts. hearing him play with steve and pino in the rhythm section on battle and continuum sounds so much more natural. it's not forced at all, and they are produced perfectly by steve jordan. the songs are arranged better and it really does start with a solid foundation in the rhythm section. i think we can all tell when they are involved in the song from the start and when they are a hired gun just throwing down licks (country*cough*scene). i'm a bit thrown by the turn the lyrics have taken, definitely more self centered than past efforts. assassin, heartbreak warfare, half of my heart...there are a lot of personal anthems here that sound like they could have come from different moments in time from the same relationship (even if it's not a real one). what worked for me about his lyrics in the past was that they were seemingly as poetic and abstract as possible while still being understood by most of generations x and y, they were very easy to relate to ('why does everything i think i need always come with batteries?' why georgia, stop this train, st patricks day, and belief, a song which has a great series of images and themes and after hearing about the record company asking for a single, i'm convinced that waiting on the world to change is just the sesame street/top 40/watered down version of the same ideas). and yes, the album sounds dry, but i think that really works for making the live show as interesting as possible. again, it's not for everybody, but i love hearing a band live that picks everything up a few clicks in tempo, pulls out a few surprises and leaves me wanting more. i can spin the record at home by myself and i don't want it to sound overworked, overhyped and in my face every time. i like when i know an artist is keeping a few tricks in their bag and not pulling everything out in the studio. that kind of confidence in songwriting and performance is as rare as it is attractive.

this album isn't my favorite of his, i think as a complete thought continuum is incredibly hard to beat, but that's life for an artist isn't it? he knows works like that don't come easy, some artists never get one like that, much less the chance to keep doing it. he took the time to tour the hell out of continuum and the blues, he deserved a bit of a break, and he admitted flat out that he had no interest in recreating that success. we can all think of a hundred artists that made one decent album, had a sophomore slump with maybe one lame attempt at a copycat hit and then released a greatest hits album. where the light is was a tremendous overview of his career without ever being labeled a greatest hits collection. i really respect that. i respect battle studies. it's refreshing that he doesn't revisit anything (save for perhaps the guitar work and signature strat tone in the last two minutes of assasins-that could fit anywhere on continuum).

he wants to keep playing what he feels. that makes me want to keep listening.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

hehe.. too funny and (from my subjective viewpoint) true
cheers
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
high-light: the snare in the verses of Assassin.

low-point: the guitar tone in Crossroads.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneider ➑️
high-light: the snare in the verses of Assassin.

low-point: the guitar tone in Crossroads.
The verb on the snare was really amazing wasn't it? I had to listen to that tune about a 100 times just to hear that beautiful tail. haha
Which makes me wonder what was used for it.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I hope an article from MIX or something comes out about Battle Studies. I would love to know how they got these sounds.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom783 ➑️
I hope an article from MIX or something comes out about Battle Studies. I would love to know how they got these sounds.
maybe this will give you something before the possible mix mag article.
YouTube - Battle Studies Video n. 1
there's couple of these vids
πŸ“ Reply