Does cable matter in this situation - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does cable matter in this situation
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Does cable matter in this situation

So I always wondered if cable matters in this situation:

Lets say you're using Canare L4E6S on a Shure beta 58A.

but that channel connects to a mixer through a snake. I've opened up some snakes before and wasn't to fond of it because it seemed like cheap stuff.

Most all snakes i've seen seem to have like cheap cables and not too well built. would using HQ cables matter if you're going through a cheap snake to the mix?
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
its the size of the strands. you can get away with just a twisted pair of 22 ga wire that has 32 ga strands if the impedence between the mics and mic pres are balanced. hell, I can amost go as far as saying twisted stranded phone/ethernet cable. The shield helps in noisey RF intensive enviroments and provides a ground return for phantom powered mics.

otherwise, the connectors are much more important as if any resistive difference between pin 2 or 3 from the mic to the board's pin 2 or 3 will cause a type of noise called common mode noise.

fancier cables are just more rugged single twisted pair. But snake wire are bundled for strength overall and jacketed differently compared to a normal mic cable.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by this n00b again ➡️
So I always wondered if cable matters in this situation:

Lets say you're using Canare L4E6S on a Shure beta 58A.

but that channel connects to a mixer through a snake. I've opened up some snakes before and wasn't to fond of it because it seemed like cheap stuff.

Most all snakes i've seen seem to have like cheap cables and not too well built. would using HQ cables matter if you're going through a cheap snake to the mix?
You will at least have peace of mind YOUR cable is good...
But most snakes I've seen were OK, they have to be smaller or it would be HUGE...
Have made snakes with Mogami, not as road worthy as other cables but it was not being used on the road..sorta..
📝 Reply