Quantcast
Groove Tubes' GT55 & Studio Projects' C1. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Groove Tubes' GT55 & Studio Projects' C1.
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Groove Tubes' GT55 & Studio Projects' C1.

Hi Folks

Has anyone had use of a SP C1 and a GT55? I am just wondering about getting the 55 for vocal use, to accompany my C1. Even though it is available at the staggeringly low price of Β£129, I don't want two mics that sound the same? From what I can gather, the 55 is warmer and smoother than the C1, would others agree with this?

I will hopefully be checking one out today, but this will be in-store and I never trust this sort of environment to give a true representation of how it will perform in the 'real world'. I never feel relaxed and monitoring in headphones is never that truthful anyway!

Cheers

Kane

PS. I am also thinking about grabbing a pair of GT33's for Β£239, if DV will do 0% finance, as I am very porr at the mo!
Old 16th May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
C1 as good as hype

I've read a lot of enthusiastic reviews for the C1, is it really good enough for use on say a commercial track (assume the voice suits the microphone), what can this mean for companies who continually price their goods out of the reach of most of us.
Old 18th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have both the C1 and the GT. I like each of them for what they are. I think that they are completely different sounding mics. The C1 has very hyped highs that can work great for some vocals, but I wouldn't want to layer a lot of tracks with it. The GT is a bit warmer and is a multi-pattern mic that is much more versatile. That doesn't mean I don't like the C1.
Old 18th May 2003
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Groove guru

Which GT mic do you have that is multi-Pattern (maybe the 57)? My 55 is cardoid only, but you can get omni and Super Cardoid caps for it. Do you find that the C1 is noticably quieter, as its self noise is 18dBA and the GT's are 22dB's?
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Mr. Funk, sorry about the mix up. I have the 57. Noise hasn't been a problem with either mic. But the C1 has a much hotter output than the GT. So you need much less preamp gain with the C1. Which is very cool if you don't have a high headroom mic pre available. Actually, I think that the C1 sounds best through my Joe Meek VC1 which IMHO has limited headroom.
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
GT 55

I saw this offer too... sounds too good to miss! I'm looking for a mic to specifically record percussion such as shakers, tambourine, triangle, etc. My Neumann TLM103 just seems too hyped in the top end for this purpose....

anybody used GT33 or GT55 for this type of application?

Burt
Old 19th May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by groove guru
I have both the C1 and the GT. I like each of them for what they are. I think that they are completely different sounding mics. The C1 has very hyped highs that can work great for some vocals, but I wouldn't want to layer a lot of tracks with it. The GT is a bit warmer and is a multi-pattern mic that is much more versatile. That doesn't mean I don't like the C1.
I was looking at getting the C1 right now then adding a tube mic later ( GT 66 , GT MD1b, SP T3, NTK, SE 5500 dont know which one that comes later ) But I could get the GT 55 which is a single pattern version of the 57. I do 100% Rap / RnB vocals, have you done any rab or RnB work with these mic's????? Any info and I mean any info would help all kinds. I've read alot of people using the C1 for rap with ver good results, and I've read good stuff on the GT products also. This mic would have to be used with alot of different voices though. I dont have the budget to match a mic to everyone that O record so keep that in mind.

Thankz.
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I think the C1 is better for rap and male rock vocals, although I've never been able to get it to sound right for female vocals. The GT57 isn't as aggressive sounding. I also think that the GT67 is a far better sounding mic than either of the others, but of coarse it's not quite as affordable as the FET versions.
Old 19th May 2003
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
groove guru

That's wierd, cos I find that my 55 is hotter than the C1??? Mind you, I have only done very quick tests with my ne GT's just to make sure they work! I also used a VC1Q (not CS version).

My inmpressions are that the 55 is indeed darker than the C1, which is what I was after! The C1 sounds more 'impressive' and 'alive', but I have a feeling that the 55 may well suit the 70's soul sound I may be after on my tracks? I'll find out when I'm well (Gastrointeritus)!

Interestingly, I found that the 33 (just as hot as the 55) sounded good on my vocals too. It seemed the most natural, reminding me of a SP B1 and they may be called upon for this duty, even though I bourght them as instrumen mics? I will track some vocal takes with all 3 and get some opinions later.

Burt

I will try the 33's on some hand percussion some time soon and let you know my opinions. However, I am no way an expert. Also, as the B1 is still about half the cost of the 33 (even with the %64 off), I'd take a listen to on of these, or even better a B3, as this will give you the PAD and switchable patterns etc.
Old 21st May 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Anybody have opinions on GT55 vs Rode NT2. I am trying to record tenor and soprano sax with the NT2 and a Voicemaster going into a Delta 1010, but the sound I'm getting is very 'hard'. I wonder whether a change of mic will solve this?
Old 21st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't own any of the mics being discussed, but I'm assuming that these are large diaphragm condensers? That being the case, since someone brought up hand percussion, I have yet to find ANY large diaphragm condenser that does a decent job on hand percussion compared to small diaphragm omnis.

I use Earthworks QTC's and they are fabulous in that application, but the TC30k's might also do the job for a lot less money. They are a bit noisier, but in a percussion recording situation you won't be cranking them like you would if you were recording a nylon string guitar, so the self-noise probably won't be an issue. In the real cheap category, you can always get a pair of Behringer 8000's, but be sure and test a whole bunch of them in the store and find the least hissy of the bunch.
πŸ“ Reply