Quantcast
Tape Op Conference: anybody here going? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tape Op Conference: anybody here going?
Old 15th May 2003
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Tape Op Conference: anybody here going?

Still trying to decide whether or not to attend the Tape Op conference in Portland. If I can pick up info to make better informed decisions and/or make some good contacts it may be worth it. And from a gearslut perspective, any word on products that will be displayed and demonstrated?
Old 16th May 2003
member no 666

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I'm going... but it ain't about 'steel'... it's about the seminars and workshops. At last years, I couldn't believe how much cool information was passed along. It is truly one of the special events of my year!!
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
when is that happening?
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Two of the guys working at our place will be attending....I'm looking forward to them sharing the new tips. I'll be holding down the fort. Chris and Jared:
Attached Thumbnails
Tape Op Conference:  anybody here going?-chrisn-jared-2.jpg  
Old 16th May 2003
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
TapeOp

I'll be there too.

Thadd La Rue
BlackCat Studios
Stockton, CA
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I'll be there. And so will the ADCD.

I'll be there, working hard.

Or was that hardly working?

Anyway, I've been promised the finished ADCDs by May 28, so I'll have copies there for those who are interested but haven't ordered yet.
Old 16th May 2003
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I'll be there

I'll be there to gain knowledge from the masters.....

Moko
Old 17th May 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Where exactly and when exactly, folks? Portland is a big town...
Old 17th May 2003
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
May 30th - June 1st. It will be held at the Portland Art Museum. It was going to be at the Hollywood Theatre, but the venue was changed.

I'll be there. Let me second what Fletcher said. Last years conference was one of the highlights of my year. It will be worth your while to attend.
Old 18th May 2003
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I'm goin'! I skipped last year's to move to my new location. I'm still kicking my self in the ass for that one!
Old 18th May 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
thanks Lord A.
Old 5th June 2003
Founder

How was it? Is it?

Old 5th June 2003
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years

It was great fun.

Portland is a nice city, friendly people.
The Portland Art Museum (where TapeOp Con is) is beautiful.

Mic pre panel, compressor and tax (how to attend for free panel) was great. I missed some coz I have to attend the AEA booth.

I saw the Blue Ball brought by Skipper Wise, heard how it sounds thru the Focusrite.
Focusrite has a new 2 ch. 'mixmaster' for under $1000, mic pre, eq, limiter, compressor, deesser for under $1k, but it's the platinum series.
They brought along the Focusrite 428, but didn't get a chance to listen to one.

There were some rumors about new products release which are very exciting from your favorite manufacturers. I will let the others tell you more about that since I don't think I have the permission to do so from the manufacturers.

There were great live bands on a club nearby sponsored by TapeOp.

I have some photo that I'll upload to the forum in a few days (been very busy packing/moving) .......dfegad moving!

Overall, great experience and imho better than AES in a way since it's a smaller more concentrated show. The people who came are mostly interested in recording and very much into indie rock.
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I had a great time too. There were so many cool people and such cool info. The mic pre panel, the mic panel, the mixing panel, the producers panel just to name a few. There was one that wasn't all that great but....

And Portland has some NICE ladies! Damn! If only I could've torn myself away from all the gear talk long enough to get some action.

Next year: NEW ORLEANS! I'm going.

Shawn
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Next year: NEW ORLEANS! I'm going.
Yeah me to. Can't make it this year and I'm very disapointed. There's a greasy spoon/flop down St. James that I haven't seen in awhile. The Hummingbird Inn is the type of place you expect to run into Tom Waits holding out until the liquor store opens. Great breakfasts. Oh, gotta love the drive-thru Hurricane* stands as well. Yes I said drive- thru.

*Hurricane - Mixed drink made popular by Hard Rock Cafรฉยฎ and a staple on the streets of New Orleans, it's made with light and dark rum, orange and pineapple juice, sweet and sour mix, and granadine.
Old 7th June 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
It was great. Inspiring, thought provoking & fun. I'll be in N'Orleans next year fo sho. Jules, You gotta make it over the pond for that one.
๐Ÿ“ Reply