Quantcast
super quiet fan for machine closet.....? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
super quiet fan for machine closet.....?
Old 15th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
super quiet fan for machine closet.....?

First off, gotta say how happy I am with the pwr supply/fan replacement for our Mirror door Mac......my god what a difference, noise cut by 70%.

worth the 20 bucks !!(and slicing my finger half off while changing it out)

What I need is a REALLY quiet fan, approx 8 inch diameter, to use as an exhaust fan for our machine closet. I've got one in there now that was picked up from an industrial liqudator but it just isn't that quiet. i only paid 6 bucks for it so no big loss.

does anyone have a line on a really quiet fan? I'll leave it running all the time, it's behind a door where the comp and drives live.

thanks for any advice!
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
PAPST fans......... and only these
Old 19th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Get a big one!

I recently built an enclosure to house my computers. It is positioned against the 'false' wall of my room within a room. As such I have ducting going from the box to two four inch fans in the wall cavity. One pulls air in and the other pulls it out. The fans dont have to be quiet because they are outside the room. The problem is though, that it is all too easy to underestimate the amount of heat that the systems produce. If you want to keep ambient temperature below 30 degrees, you have to move a LOT of air. So you can either have a small fan going like the clappers (which makes a lot of noise) or a big fan going slowly (which is quiet). You will always hear the air turbulence though. That cannot be avoided easily. For these reasons I would look for the biggest fan you can resonably use. I also reckon Pabst fans are a good choice.
Jack
Old 19th May 2003
nkf
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by andre tchmil
PAPST fans......... and only these
there is a new king of the hill when it come to silent fans:
http://www.verax.de/verax.php?template=home
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…