Quantcast
414b TL 11?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
414b TL 11??
Old 14th May 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
414b TL 11??

I'm considering one of these for vocal mike but would also like to mike acoustic gtrs. Has anyone tired one of these? Are they less flexible the 414 ulb?

Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Poor Man's C12. Get 2.
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use the 414 TL and find it to be a great all around mic. Though for acoustic guitar I prefer a Shure sm 81. The 414 is a great vocal mic.
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, what have we here...???

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...531144382&rd=1
Old 14th May 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
It's kind of mediocre. I have one, throw it on the highest rack tom in hypercardiod for sloppy players because it's all dinged up and still works. I'd go for a Neumann TLM103 in that price range if price is a big issue, or even much better if you want something you won't outgrow IMNSHO a Soundelux U195, which is only a little more than a new TLII. Good Luck!
Old 14th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Poor Man's C12. Get 2.

Quote:
It's kind of mediocre.

Microphones (and audio) are such funny things, so very subjective.

Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

for what it's worth I love them on acoustic guitar...
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by cram
Microphones (and audio) are such funny things, so very subjective.

Agreed. The TL has the same capsule as the C12. I've had great sucess with them on vocals, guitar, grand piano, and OH's. For toms I've always had better luck with the Ebs.
Old 14th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I know a lot of guys who hate the C12VR, I dig it. I know a lot of guys who love the Telefunken U47, I hate them.

I dig the TLII as well and that means absolutely nothing.

I must be in a bad mood...heh
Old 14th May 2003
The Distressor's "daddy"

🎧 15 years
Remember that those old mics probably all sound quite a bit different depending on the Tube, the diaphram, and the mods that have been done to them. So one of you mite have a U47 that sounds great, and one of you might have one that is wacked.

When I was trying to test out Fairchild 670 compressors, I spent all these hours putting test tones into it, Listening to all these sources and everything. Later on I realized it was way out of spec and had all kinds of problems. It still sounded pretty good but... it wasnt like the other few Ive used since.

Some old mics are magic, and some need to go back to the shop. Im always nervous about laying out 5 grand for a U47 or 67 etc... you might be buying the one 47 that someone is trying to get rid of.
Old 15th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I pulled my TLII out of mothballs just yesterday to see if it sounds any better through my latest preamps, and was again disappointed. Just doesn't have the "grab" or the 3 dimensionality of my other mics (even compared to a TLM 103 or a KM 184). It's enhanced high end works well on the low end of my Yamaha grand, and I've made it work on banjo, but I've never been totally pleased with it as a vocal mic, for whatever reason. Furthermore, I think it's wimpy midrange makes it totally unsuitable for a lot of applications--percussion, for instance. All in all, to my ears, a somewhat tizzy and weightless sound. But sometimes that's a good thing.

-R
Old 15th May 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Huh?

Thanks for the feedback. Now I'm really confused. I used to own a C12vr and was quite happy with it on vocals. It wasn't really great on acoustics but did a good job on fiddles and mandolin. I'd love to take a Soundelux for a spin but we can't get them up here unless we buy them through a broker without getting to try them out and with the exchange on the dollar it can be pretty expensive. The AKG on the other hand is only a few dollars more in Canadian $$$ and has the same capsule as the C12 vr. Through my recently purchased GR MP2nv i'm hoping it will shine. I will give it a test run and let my ears decide.

Old 15th May 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernard
Thanks for the feedback. Now I'm really confused. I used to own a C12vr and was quite happy with it on vocals. It wasn't really great on acoustics but did a good job on fiddles and mandolin. I'd love to take a Soundelux for a spin but we can't get them up here unless we buy them through a broker without getting to try them out and with the exchange on the dollar it can be pretty expensive. The AKG on the other hand is only a few dollars more in Canadian $$$ and has the same capsule as the C12 vr. Through my recently purchased GR MP2nv i'm hoping it will shine. I will give it a test run and let my ears decide.

There were two batches made of the C12VR.

The good batch(1-100) and the bad(anything after 100).

If you got one of the early ones, than you are lucky. If you got the other than...
Old 15th May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
We have a few of the TLIIs where I work and I too find them a little "tizzy". They're OK in a pinch but I'd rather use something else if I possible. I don't know, there's something about them that bugs me...

Thrill, is there a story behind the C12vr #1-100 thing?

L, D.
Old 15th May 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
Agreed. The TL has the same capsule as the C12.
TL - I, or TL - II? Different mics.
Old 15th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Mario-C.
for what it's worth I love them on acoustic guitar...
And I hate them on acoustic. That's what makes all this fun!
Old 15th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
TL - I, or TL - II? Different mics.
I was refering to the TL-II. Techinically I believe it's a 'recreation' of the C12 capsule. With this many mixed reviews, I'm suprised I don't see more up for grabs on the used market.
Old 15th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
...I'm suprised I don't see more up for grabs on the used market.
I've got a brand new (O.K., year old) pair that have been out of their cases exactly once - what am I bid?

SG
Old 15th May 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by DannyDay

Thrill, is there a story behind the C12vr #1-100 thing?

L, D.
Legend has it that the first 150 were handbuilt and tweaked to match one of nine C12's.

Seems like when enough people ordered them, they let the machines do the assembly(to make a matched pair identical). As we know the machines have no ears, so the mics that were made while techincally solid, came out sounding...BLAND!!!grudge

That is why so many people detest the mic. Most people own the latter productions.

I had the pleasure of owning one of the latters and hated it with a passion.

It also didn't help that it would fall apart when you blew on it. I did recently check out one of the earlier versions and I was surprised that it sounded pretty good.
Old 15th May 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by DigitMus
I've got a brand new (O.K., year old) pair that have been out of their cases exactly once - what am I bid?

SG
heh
Old 15th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by DigitMus

SG
Hmmm, cost of MXL V67 Hmmmmm name recognition factor Hmmmmmm ubiquity Hmmmmm $200 each? <EG>
πŸ“ Reply