Quantcast
Tech question->HEDD/2 buss comp for PT Masterfader - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tech question->HEDD/2 buss comp for PT Masterfader
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Tech question->HEDD/2 buss comp for PT Masterfader

Trying to decide the best way to interface this...

I've got a HEDD that I used AES in PT HD for master fader tape stuff. The A/D is wired to the bay for tracking etc.

Now, I need to add a new stc 8 I just purchased for 2 buss compressor duties. I've got a 192 i.o.

I'm concerned with the potential for loss of quality. I hate having to go back out to analog then back in again... and don't want to add too much cable milage if it's in my 2 buss path...

How would you configure it? Would you take the stc8 to the patch bay, or would you direct-connect it to the 192 and use as hardware insert, or is there a way to bring it in the DA/AD on the HEDD while still using the master fader tape emulation..?

Thanks....
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just use the AD/DA on the HEDD to go to/from the STC-8 (that's exactly what I do with a pair of Trakkers) & you can still use the tape & tube emulation.

Scott
Old 14th May 2003
Founder

There may be some "linking" option between the Hedd & STC-8 - but I may well be on crack.

Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by DigitMus
Just use the AD/DA on the HEDD to go to/from the STC-8 (that's exactly what I do with a pair of Trakkers) & you can still use the tape & tube emulation.

Scott
In this case, if I'm direct connecting the two, I guess I lose my ability to use the HEDD as A/D when tracking..?

Do you feel there is any issues (like signal degredation, etc) if I did this but normalized it at the patch bay?
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
There may be some "linking" option between the Hedd & STC-8 - but I may well be on crack.

Yes unfortunately you are hitting that pipe again Jules . All it's got are XLR ins and outs...nothing more..
Old 14th May 2003
Craneslut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jho
Yes unfortunately you are hitting that pipe again Jules . All it's got are XLR ins and outs...nothing more..
Not neccessarily. I believe the later revisions of the STC-8 have a jumper in them to set the limiter to prevent overs on the HEDD-192. I'll check with Dave and see if my memory is serving me well or not...

Mine is most definitely from before this revision.

Regardless, you can set the limiter to prevent overs regardless of what ADC follows it...
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Blackwood
Not neccessarily. I believe the later revisions of the STC-8 have a jumper in them to set the limiter to prevent overs on the HEDD-192. I'll check with Dave and see if my memory is serving me well or not...

Mine is most definitely from before this revision.

Regardless, you can set the limiter to prevent overs regardless of what ADC follows it...
EIYYYEEE! It is me that is hitting the pipe then

Brad, please let me know! There is a DB25 on the back I think, I'll dig in the manual a bit too. That would be killa...So the best bet is to run the stc thru the hedds ad/da then I get both on just one insert in PT I imagine...
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
jho,

We're using both units... IMHO, it would be a terrible waste to hardwire the hedds' analog I/O to the STC8 (unless you plan on running everything you track through both)...

In our room, the STC8 is wired into the patchpanel as are the analog I/O of the hedd. The dig I/O on the hedd is wired AES/EBU into a pair of I/O on one of our digi interfaces.*

Thus we can insert hedd dig, use as a DACs, or use as A/Ds, all selectable from within PT and patchpanel.

*Note: This does burn a pair of digi channels, but we can live w/that!

The STC8 lives on the stereo insert of the console.

Maximum flexability, IMHO... Anything, anywhere, anyhow. YMMV.

Cheers!
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by blackcatdigi
jho,

We're using both units... IMHO, it would be a terrible waste to hardwire the hedds' analog I/O to the STC8 (unless you plan on running everything you track through both)...

In our room, the STC8 is wired into the patchpanel as are the analog I/O of the hedd. The dig I/O on the hedd is wired AES/EBU into a pair of I/O on one of our digi interfaces.*

Thus we can insert hedd dig, use as a DACs, or use as A/Ds, all selectable from within PT and patchpanel.

*Note: This does burn a pair of digi channels, but we can live w/that!

The STC8 lives on the stereo insert of the console.

Maximum flexability, IMHO... Anything, anywhere, anyhow. YMMV.

Cheers!
Sparkle City! Yeah I am about to do that...I think I'll normalize the stc-8 to the hedd a/d on the bay for normal 2 buss duties and I can patch for tracking, etc. Does that sound right or am I still in the hash den with Jules? (hehe)
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Sounds fine to me. There are infinite ways to wire!

Something else I forgot to mention... We also mix to a Masterlink (out of console, using ch 7&8 of Spider as A/Ds), and monitor the mix out of Masterlink using hedd as DAC...
Sweet!
Man, I wonder if Dave Hill would just build us a simple 24 ch DAC???
We're just friggin' in love with his convertors!

P.S. Let me know if you ever come up to visit your in-laws, and we'll have you over for a beverage!

Cheers!
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sounds fine to me. There are infinite ways to wire!

Something else I forgot to mention... We also mix to a Masterlink (out of console, using ch 7&8 of Spider as A/Ds), and monitor the mix out of Masterlink using hedd as DAC...
Sweet!
Man, I wonder if Dave Hill would just build us a simple 24 ch DAC???
We're just friggin' in love with his convertors!

P.S. Let me know if you ever come up to visit your in-laws, and we'll have you over for a beverage!

Cheers!
I'll take u up on the drink soon!

So, you're saying I can do all that (hedd on AES with the stc ad/da AND run out DA to a masterlink all at the same time?

UPDATE: Never mind, u are using spider too...I'd love one of those!
Old 15th May 2003
Founder

jho, you owe me a rock of crack!

Old 15th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
jho, you owe me a rock of crack!

Ju ju jjjuu jussst gggiimmee aabbout anoootheerr couple dayysszz and i prr prr prromisse I'lll ggee gee get you thhee crraack maaann...

SPEAKING of Crack, my Friggin C24 power supply just died...faders dead...monitor section...dead. Clients sent home for a few days..
Digi told me about 5% of them were defective. WHY me????
Old 15th May 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jho
So, you're saying I can do all that out at the same time?
No.
Well, maybe yes... I haven't tried it, but I seem to recall that most of the hedd's various i/o are simultaneously active, independently.(Comments, Brian B.?) You could also do a search... I know its been discussed.

Nevertheless, you can wire the hedd's analog i/o to your patchbay and use as needed for conversion to/from a/d. Use either the AES/EBU or the S/PDIF to get in and out of digiworld (inserted, d to d) to add the processing. And use the other dig i/o (AES/EBU or S/PDIF) to mix and/or monitor (to and from) whatever you're using for a dig 2track. You can add the processing (at any stage) to any of the aforementioned.

We tend to 'shuffle' the hedd's convertors around to whatever application we need them for, whether we're tracking, mixing, or monitoring off a 2 track...

Great utility box. Fantastic convertors.

YMMV...
Old 15th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
No.
Well, maybe yes... I haven't tried it, but I seem to recall that most of the hedd's various i/o are simultaneously active, independently.(Comments, Brian B.?) You could also do a search... I know its been discussed.

Nevertheless, you can wire the hedd's analog i/o to your patchbay and use as needed for conversion to/from a/d. Use either the AES/EBU or the S/PDIF to get in and out of digiworld (inserted, d to d) to add the processing. And use the other dig i/o (AES/EBU or S/PDIF) to mix and/or monitor (to and from) whatever you're using for a dig 2track. You can add the processing (at any stage) to any of the aforementioned.

We tend to 'shuffle' the hedd's convertors around to whatever application we need them for, whether we're tracking, mixing, or monitoring off a 2 track...

Great utility box. Fantastic convertors.

YMMV...
Excellent. Exactly how I plan to do it now, thanks! NOw.....I have to repair the C24 power supply CRAP! So I have to wait a few days to try it.. :(
πŸ“ Reply