Quantcast
upgrading from Finalizer 96k? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
upgrading from Finalizer 96k?
Old 13th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
upgrading from Finalizer 96k?

I've noticed a lot of Finalizer bashing going on, so help me make it better.

I mix in analog to the Finalizer (for A/D conversion) and print to a Masterlink via AES. I use the Finalizer compression and limiting to get the level hot, but never use the others functions. I also always print a mix without the comp and lim.

So what would be good upgrade options to this? How are the Fianlizer A/D's?

Would more improvement come from a Crane Song STC-8 or something like a HEDD-192? Both?

Thanks.
Old 13th May 2003
Founder

Do you use the DRG (digital Radience Generator) it's like a 'tape' saturation.. I kinda like it! Level 1 or 2 on a mix brings out backing vocals nicely..
Old 13th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Jules,
Yeah, I've used the DRG on a few trashy rock mixes in the past. Mainly when I could sneak it in to get more level and not have too many artifacts as a result.

I think the Finalizer can get a bit harsh sounding really quickly, but I've made tons of records with those converters and a little of the compression. Sometimes more than a little.

I've been trying to figure out how to spend some money to get better results. Right now I've got the api 2500 here and I think it's pretty awesome. But I'm wondering if I should get another digital device (like the HEDD 192) instead of a high end buss-comp.

Others things I'm considering:
Crane Song STC-8
Alan Smart C2
Tube Tech SMC 2B (i like the idea of an analog finalizer)

Any advice?
Old 13th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Oh, what about the Neve 33609 Compressor?
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone else have a Finalizer type box that is better than the t.c.?
Old 14th May 2003
Founder

I find if you avoid the EQ in the finalizer you can be OK, so perhaps a high grade mastering style stereo EQ (plug in or Hardware)

Manley Massive Passive would be great!
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That's something I've been considering. The new Crane Song Ibis seems pretty tempting.

I'm also considering getting a bunch of api modules to treat individual tracks.

I'm in the process of trying to replace my Mackie 32-8 console, so all of this stuff is spinning in my head. I'm just not sure where my money should be spent to really improve my recordings/mixes. Seems like to console itself might be the best money spent.
Old 15th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by ray dsr
The TC DBmax is a better Finalizer that is more flexable, offers more DSP power, more inserts, able to choose 1-5 bands with two different slopes and has had 3-OS updates that have improved with lower noise/distortion, eq, and the comp/limiters including the soft limiters. The DBmax also includes presets for all the filter configurations for TV/Radio that wll give you a very good idea of what your material will sound like going through the broadcast chain. It only works up to 48K though.
Old 15th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by ray dsr
The Drawmer Masterflow and the DBX Quantum are probably both a good measure better than the Finalizer and they do similar things. I've used the Masterflow quite extensively and while the presets are all way to heavy-handed, the parameters are all quite tweakable and can be made to sound good.

--Ben
Old 17th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What about the A/D converters? That's the main thing my Finalizer is doing.

I checked out the Drawmer and dbx boxes before going with the t.c. I gotta say they both seemed a bit like copycat boxes.

I guess the main box that has my attention is the HEDD.
Old 17th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You are asking about apples and oranges here...

If all you want is a good A-D, then get a good A-D. The finalizer's is not fantastic, but not horrible, either. The Drawmer will be considerably better. That said, the HEDD will probably be the best of them all, but it is a completely different kind of box.

The Waves L2 also has decent A-D converters and will give you a brick-wall limiter, but be aware of what it is doing so you don't end up ruining mixes with it (like the finalizer).

If you want a good A-D, then find a used Prism AD-2 or a used dB Technologies AD122. Both go used for about what a HEDD runs and are amazing sound (mastering quality) pure converters with nothing else.

--Ben
πŸ“ Reply