What is good sound? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is good sound?
Old 12th May 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
What is good sound?

Sound.

We talk about it all the time in absolutes. That sounds good, bad, great, or just OK are thrown around all the time in the studio.

So, what do we consider to be good sound and why is it good? What makes a bad sound bad?

Old 12th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's good if it works in the musical or application context. Beyond that, you'll find exceptions for every rule you try to make.
Old 12th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Ultra quicky here, gotta catch a lecture....

I'd like to break it down to absolute basic... What is the music ABOUT? IE, what sort of emotion/s are you trying to get across?

In my (very quick, I can't wait to add more later) opinion, good sound is sound that communicates the desired emtion from the player to the listener, in a way that makes the final product an experience to listen to- whether that is a positive or negative, beautiful or ugly, smooth or harsh, is completely up the the artist, and us, the engineers and producers......

Ahh, so much more to say, I'll bet someone else is gunna elaborate much better than I by the time I get back, but oh well....

Great topic, BTW!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…