Madonna's American Life???? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Madonna's American Life????
Old 9th May 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Madonna's American Life????

Hey has anyone checked it out? Got a listen to it last night. I don't know if its Spike's mixes or Metropolis mastering or both, but I was very disappointed.

Man its so...brown?

It just sits there and goes no where. I am sure she chose to have the vocals very compressed and in your face, but man at times its too much.

I know in the past I've ragged on Spike trying to be TLA, but this record is too much TLA "wannabee"(minus the excitement).

And is most of the Metropolis stuff always dark?(seems like a lot of records coming out of there are very dark sounding). Is it the Prism gear and the ATC monitors or what?

Again I had heard all the hype and decided to give it a chance. But you know what, this just shows that the record industry is in very "dark" times.
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
as far as the sound of the album - it does seem at times to be a bit
hammered in mastering - in an unmusical way. i don't
think its stent. as for unexciting, the production is so sparse
that i wonder if thats what you are hearing - rather than a poor
tom lord alge attempt. also this record has 20K sizzle for days-
how does the album sound dark?? maybe in the 2K theu 8K range.
also madonna said to the french press today that she is proud
of the french being anti war - and that she is very much at home
in france. as i see it , she should grow out her arm pit hair and rot there.
contrary to the feedback on this album, i quite like it.
Old 9th May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Were the remixes mastered at the same place? Both of them sound better than the album version.
Old 9th May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
madonnas success seem to be based on her choice of collaborators . With the production on this album I believe shes picked a wrong un, it just sounds so shallow, one dimensional. Lyrically the single "american life " is very cheesy. the rap is ( not intentionally ) hilarious .. Personally if I was her I would try and act my age and not try and stick with what she believes is the current sound..

I'm really bored of hearing how hard it is to be famous.. go and get a proper job if you don't like it.
Politically who cares what madonna thinks..shes only a pop star
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How's this for a review?

Madonna - American Life - Warner Bros. 2003.

I've been writing this review site for more than seven years. I'll be the first to admit I took a couple years off in the middle there, but more or less one can kind of lie and say that I've been doing it for seven years. Lucky 13!!! Heh heh heh. Yes, and in all that time I've heard some truly horrendous, unlistenable records - records that rate at the very bottom of a metric 1-10 scale. Your Metal Machine Music, your Y Kant Tori Read -- heck, on this page alone, Madonna has scored a couple of 1s. But in all my years of reviewing - from the beginning of the 20th century clear through to the end of the 21st -- I never expected to come across an album with such a volative mixture of uncreative melody, embarrassing production and offensive, moronic lyricism that it would physically bust through the bottom of my scale and force my wife to design a graphic for "ZERO." After all, how would one go about getting a ZERO on a scale of 1 to 10? Genius that she is, Madonna has figured it out!

You know, a lot has happened since Madonna released her last ****ty album. Let's see -- hmm. Well, there was that terrorist attack that killed a few thousand people in HER FORMER HOMETOWN. Yes there was that. Then there was that darned recession - STILL going on - that has left millions out of work while our president's business friends continue to steal more and more money for themselves. Oh yes! And then there was a war! A war in which we dropped bombs on the poverty-stricken and widowed many, many Iraqi women (killed some too). Throughout all this, we've been dealing with daily terrorist fears exacerbated by our monstrous administration and the five media companies that suck government cock every day of the year. This is a dangerous time to be an American -- and an even MORE dangerous time to live in a country that America doesn't like. Not only are you poor as dirt, but there's a good chance you're going to be buried under six feet of it within the next 12 months so Bush can keep our minds off of the economy he can't fix because he's a ****ing ******.

So what does Madonna do? Well, let me put it this way -- you can tell me every ***, junglebunny and kike joke in the world and none of it is going to offend me anywhere NEAR as much as listening to some dumb rich **** bitching and moaning about how much her life sucks for 50 ****ing minutes. Before I delve into her poetry, let me preface this attack by saying that I certainly understand why an artist might choose not to address depressing social issues in their work. Entertainment is entertainment, after all, and lots of us turn to it for an escape from the disturbing reality we're experiencing. But that's not what American Life is. It is NOT escapist entertainment. It is Madonna presenting a series of dark, minor-key, UNHAPPY songs about how fake and plastic the entertainment business is and how it's not enough to make her happy. Hopefully I speak for the majority of Americans when I say BOO ****ING HOO.

Let's start with track 1, "American Life." Aside from being almost inarguably the least catchy single Madonna has ever released, this song within the first thirty seconds makes it clear exactly how far out of touch Madonna is with real life. "Do I have to change my name? Will it get me far? Should I lose some weight? Am I gonna be a star?" THIS is American life in 2003? Who thinks like this now? Aside from the most narcissistic brain-dead failed actor, I can't imagine ANYBODY over the age of 13 seriously considering these to be important worries at this particular juncture in history. How about "Will there be any available jobs for me when I graduate college?" or "Will I ever be able to get out of this ghetto without being murdered by 'gangstas'?" or "Where is my family supposed to live now that I've been laid off and have no retirement money because the executives of my company stole all of it?"

But it gets much, MUCH worse later in the song, during the first of many unbelievably poorly conceived and humiliatingly executed raps performed by Madonna in a quite racist fake negro accent. "I got a lawyer and a manager, an agent and a chef," she brags. "Three nannies, an assistant and a driver and a jet, a trainer and a butler and a bodyguard or five, a gardener and a stylist..." before delivering the most horrifically thoughtless conclusion possible -- "Do you think I'm satisfied?"

Well, it must be nice to have the luxury to be UNSATISFIED with billions of dollars in the bank and people waiting on you hand and foot. Unfortunately, most of us actually have to work for a living - and many of us don't even have the opportunity to do that. How about asking yourself if your three nannies and assistant are satisfied? Or if your gardener and butler are satisfied? How about writing a song that doesn't include the word "I" at least forty times? Not this time. This is Madonna's time to whine about the trials of the rich -- which, I might add, is exactly what she did on Ray Of Light. And the most disturbing part is that she thinks she's speaking as a HUMAN. She's sure that she's one of US now. She has NO IDEA what being a person is like! How could she? She hasn't had a real problem in about thirty years! (My wife adds, "She hasn't had a decent SONG in about thirty years either!).

So what else does she offer on this magnum dopus: Next is "Hollywood," a quite obvious attempt to make excuses for her seemingly endless string of unsuccessful movies. "Everybody comes to Hollywood/They wanna make it in the neighbourhood/They like the smell of it in Hollywood/How could it hurt you when it looks so good?" Guess the critical reaction to "Swept Away" wasn't all she was expecting? Must be because Hollywood is cruel; couldn't be that she's a boring actress.

Next is "I'm So Stupid," which must be the tenth or twelfth song she's recorded about how materialistic and selfish she USED to be, and thank God she isn't anymore. Now she understands what's really important in life. That's why she feels the need to tell us this, over and over again. Almost as if it were a new IDENTITY that she was trying to slip into. Unfortunately, "honesty," "integrity" and "compassion" are not costumes that you can slip on and off like a bustier with gold-tipped nipples. And I'm sorry, no matter how many times she says it, I simply don't BELIEVE her when she claims, "I'm so stupid/Cause I use to live/In a tiny bubble/And I wanted to be/Like all the pretty people/That were all around me/But now I know for sure/That I was stupid." I'm not going to make a judgment call about whether Madonna is stupid or not -- but she is quite clearly as self-delusional as anybody else you're going to find in the entertainment industry. And what can you say about a person too dim to realize what even FRED DURST is able to figure out -- that American life has changed and celebrities at least have to make an effort to LOOK like they give a **** about other people?

Moving on, we come to another shallow introspection piece called "Nobody Knows Me." Well, first of all, as she has made evident for at least the past ten years of her career, there's not a whole lot to know. Monstrous ego, insatiable thirst for attention -- and that about covers it! And secondly, I don't suppose I have to explain to you exactly how it feels to hear this self-satisfied multi-billionaire sing, "I sleep much better at night/I feel closer to the light/Now I'm gonna try/To improve my life." I, I, I, my.

Pardon me one second while I count how many times Madonna uses first-person pronouns on this 50-minute release.
"American Life" = 62
"Hollywood" = 6
"I'm So Stupid" = 24
"Love Profusion" = 67
"Nobody Knows Me" = 68
"Nothing Fails" = 26
"Intervention" = 27
"X-Static Process" = 60
"Mother And Father" = 71
"Die Another Day" = 55
"Easy Ride " = 34.

Well, they say write what you know. And Madonna is all Madonna knows. Or cares about. So why shouldn't she refer to herself 507 times in 50 minutes? That's more than 10 times per minute. That means that Madonna is attempting to show that she is no longer selfish and one-dimensional -- by making a verbal reference to herself EVERY SIX SECONDS FOR THE ENTIRE CD.
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
---continued---

There is much more about this album that repulses me. There's that ****ing irritating vocal effect (the one from "Die Another Day" and about six trillion other interchangeable female-sung dance/pop songs) that I'd hoped she'd gotten enough of on Music, but no! Let's take that already-tired gimmick and use it another fifty times! After all, how could anybody get sick of hearing your sung notes flick up and down electronically, sucking out any ounce of personality your voice had left (which wasn't much anyway -- CHRIST, what happened to that peppy young girl that sang "Lucky Star"!?!?)? Then there's all the acoustic guitar playing, which is intended (I guess) to sound folky and "genuine," but ends up coming across as gimmicky and boring because the producer just samples four seconds of playing and repeats it over and over again rather than actually having a guitarist in the room during the session. There's even the fact that NONE of the songs come even CLOSE to catchy, relying instead on boring, lifeless minor-key crap for nearly all eleven songs. But I want to go watch Rollerball (the original one -- I watched High Plains Drifter last night and it KICKED ASS!!!!) and hopefully I've made my point clear by NOW. So instead I'd like to close with the biggest self-deception of all. The kind of lyric that only an inexcusably comfortable out-of-touch old sloth would even CONSIDER having the gall to utter in a song that will be heard by millions and millions of normal average people who have to work 40 or more hours a week just to keep their heads above water. Am I really the only one that wants to break into Madonna's bank account and give ALL of her money to her poor fan base when she announces, "I want the good life/But I don't want an easy ride/What I want is to work for it/Feel the blood and sweat on my fingertips/That's what I want for me."

Go ahead, read it again. Read what one of the richest human beings on the planet sings to you WITH A STRAIGHT FACE on her new CD. Go ahead. Read it again and again and again, and then tell me how you -- how ANYONE -- could listen to this CD without wanting to throw the ****ing thing (if not the ****ing WOMAN) through a plate glass window? Is it really all that different from that episode of the Simpsons where billionaire Montgomery Burns claims, "Being waited on hand and foot might be okay for the average Joe, but not for me!" (that was a paraphrase, but it was close).

Madonna has no idea what American life is like. She only knows what the life of a spoiled celebrity is like. Five years ago, I would have let her get off easy with a grade of 2 or 3. But not now. This is a pre-9/11 album in a post-9/11 world. We don't care anymore, Madonna. And I'm speaking directly to you because I know that you're totally always checking out my Madonna reviews to see if people are adding any comments.

(by Mark Prindle)
Old 9th May 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by stealthbalance
as far as the sound of the album - it does seem at times to be a bit
hammered in mastering - in an unmusical way. i don't
think its stent. as for unexciting, the production is so sparse
that i wonder if thats what you are hearing - rather than a poor
tom lord alge attempt. also this record has 20K sizzle for days-
how does the album sound dark?? maybe in the 2K theu 8K range.
also madonna said to the french press today that she is proud
of the french being anti war - and that she is very much at home
in france. as i see it , she should grow out her arm pit hair and rot there.
contrary to the feedback on this album, i quite like it.
Stealth,

I got a disagree on you about Spike.

Most of his stuff lately sounds really over compressed(over doing the SSL, trying to be TLA). I think the sound destroyed an actually good album(Bjork's Vespertine) where i actually didn't like it. At least while TLA may over do it sometimes, he still finds a way to for the music to have a little life and excitement.

Where I've liked(Spike Stent) some of his stuff in the past, its getting to the point where you hear more of his sound than the music.

As a mixer that's not a good place to be.

Now I also blame Metropolis mastering. I've met alot of guys that come over from the UK and have their stuff mastered here and now I know why. Its either a philosophy or something over there that influences the sound of a lot of the records coming out of that place. Very dark, to the point where everything sounds brooding.

Again this is just an opinion.
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I only listened to it briefly, but the album sounds really "linear", just "ghetty-up", here we go.
The sonic innovation doesn't seem to be there, and in which is what has carried many of her albums, in which I was a fan of. I really wanted to like it.
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by cally
madonnas success seem to be based on her choice of collaborators . With the production on this album I believe shes picked a wrong un, it just sounds so shallow, one dimensional. Lyrically the single "american life " is very cheesy. the rap is ( not intentionally ) hilarious .. Personally if I was her I would try and act my age and not try and stick with what she believes is the current sound..

I'm really bored of hearing how hard it is to be famous.. go and get a proper job if you don't like it.
Politically who cares what madonna thinks..shes only a pop star
I agree. In the past she has had a habit of picking just the right colaborators to re-invent herself and keep it going.

She was interviewed on TV in the UK last week and she struck me as someone that is now settled and getting used to being a wife and mother. Though I'm sure this album will probably sell well I honestly think there probably isn't much more mileage in her as a "pop" artist. That's not to knock her, she has had a truely remarkable career, I just hope that she won't end up looking like a poor has been that would be a shame.

Paul McCartney is another one for me. He's been in the wilderness for a few years though its nice to see him back performing. His world tour seems to have hit the right mark with his fans and I for one wish I had caught one of the shows.

Regards

Roland
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"magnum dopus" heh heh heh

it was worth reading that whole magnum opus just for that!
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Man, you're gonna blame the mastering for a ****ty record?...unless you personally were involved so knows what went down in the production/mixing, that's just plain ignant!
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Lo Fido
Were the remixes mastered at the same place? Both of them sound better than the album version.
I tried PMing you, welcome to the forum. I worked on the Missy Elliot remix of Amercian Life. I begged Missy to let me take Madonna's rap out. Actually, I printed a version without it, but I'm sure it's lost in the wind at this point. As I understand it, all were mastered at the same place, because they were talking about making the Missy E and Okenfold remixes Bonus Cuts on the CD. Curious, where did you hear them? I know they've been on the net, but I hate to think people are making judgements on MP3's. I haven't even heard what mastering did to my mix yet. Suddenly, I don't feel so good.
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've got the "Missy Elliott American Dream Mix" it's on one of the 2 single CD's
of "American Life". I was a bit surprised that she was willing to do it.

But hey it's all music and royalties I guess.

I bought the single American Life without hearing it cos a friend told me that when the song comes on the radio in their office they ALL howl with laughter and contempt. I thought that was worth a listen.
Old 10th May 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jazzius
Man, you're gonna blame the mastering for a ****ty record?...unless you personally were involved so knows what went down in the production/mixing, that's just plain ignant!
Hey Jazzius,

If you don't believe that mastering can change the sound of a record(good or bad), than that's your problem.

I know it happens, I've heard it and its happened at times to mixes I've done.

As a mixer once its out of your hands, you have no control on what's done. The artist,producer or A&R can make changes even at mastering. The best example is Red Hot Chili Peppers "Californication". Mixerman has spoke on length about the original mixes compared to after mastering(or after Rick Rubin). Very different.

Like I said if it makes you feel better to believe it, than keep drinkin some of that Amsterdam "kool aid" that they serve over there.

Old 10th May 2003
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
She should have let William Orbit keep writing her music for her. thumbsup

That was the first and probably the last Madge record I'll ever buy.
Old 10th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i do know that mastering engineers are responsible for global
warming as well. i think that when cd's came out in 1983 or whenever
it was , i thought that that was going to put an end to the volume wars.
in actuality, thats when it just began. while there are a couple of very
gifted mastering guys out there ( as soon as i remember who they are
i'll let you know ) most current mastering guys nowadays don't know
what music is supposed to sound like. the only guys who really
understand are the ones who came up the ranks cutting vinyl.
for the most part - the first thing they do is look at the meters and
do their tweaks listening with their eyes. so often your records end up
being a bright pancake. i just had a very successful mastering guy in
NY cut a record for me. i even told him that it was cool to be a db or 2
down in volume - i just wanted to maintain the dynamics. i got my record
back which was all smeared and really full sounding and over compressed
and aweful - and oh ya - it was 2 db down. low level and ****ty.
wow - and it cost a small fortune. and when i tactfully called and
pointed out that i wanted some changes, i got a major attitude.
i really feel that mastering guys should watch their asses because they
too are about to become redundant. i ended up doing it myself and was
much happier - and its louder than hell but totally un-pinched sounding
and much more musical. my advise, master your own stuff - and unless
you are going to do a shootout - always be there with the guy.
this is also a good case for being really pleased with your mixes before
you master. also, i much prefer giving my stuff to a mastering guy
in the digital domain because they only have to get the volume up
a touch more than you gave it to them. however if you go in there with
a great sounding 1/2 inch master, by the time the guy beats up the
level and gets it 6 to ten db louder - your record is mush. by givivng
them a dig master , they can only distroy your stuff so much. the equipment
these guys have in their room are great - if only their ears were too.
Old 10th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The one thing that I hope madonna still has left is Pat Lenoards phone number.....
Old 11th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Hey Jazzius,

If you don't believe that mastering can change the sound of a record(good or bad), than that's your problem.

That's not what i said and you know it

..........Amsterdam.........the best way to rid yourself of your stereotypical view is to visit.......i'll even buy you a beer (sorry, don't smoke)
Old 11th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Comparing Die another day and Music, seems they use the same patches!
The rap is a joke. This album really sucks. The best things are the 2 video clips, from Die another Day and The other song With Busch clone.

I miss Lucky Star, Think of me, Live to Tell, Holyday, Dress you up, Love donΒ΄t live here anymore...

where did they record this album?With A PT HD at home?
she looks like Che Guevara on the cover
Old 11th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
This is from an interview on Mirwais on the gear he used on Music:

"I used a Waldorf Microwave XT, Korg Prophecy, Roland JD-990, Clavia Nord Lead 2 Rack, and an E-mu E6400. My computer is a Mac G3, 300MHz, with an Emagic Audiowerk 8 card and Logic Audio. I know a lot of people use Pro Tools, but this is enough for me. I've been using Logic since I was born [laughs]. I started with Notator and Creator. Logic never crashes."

Also: YAMAHA 02R, MACKIE HR824

I guess his setup might be the same, since the music sounds the same.
Old 11th May 2003
Lives for gear

maybe now he can afford a rack
Old 11th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Silas Holmes
This is from an interview on Mirwais on the gear he used on Music:

"I used a Waldorf Microwave XT, Korg Prophecy, Roland JD-990, Clavia Nord Lead 2 Rack, and an E-mu E6400. My computer is a Mac G3, 300MHz, with an Emagic Audiowerk 8 card and Logic Audio. I know a lot of people use Pro Tools, but this is enough for me. I've been using Logic since I was born [laughs]. I started with Notator and Creator. Logic never crashes."

Also: YAMAHA 02R, MACKIE HR824

I guess his setup might be the same, since the music sounds the same.
Silas

Have you got a link to that interview? or could you let me know where you saw it?

Cheers
Old 11th May 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
"The one thing that I hope madonna still has left is Pat Lenoards phone number....."

Totally, he was invloved in all my fave madge tracks. Timeless arrangements I'll still be listening to in 10 years time without chucking up. My fave album was Like a Prayer. After that she turned into an 'artist' in the modern art sense of the word and things became 'interesting' but musically unsatisfying.

Bring back 'Papa Don't Preach' kind of songs anyway. Those were songs that meant something to people. Some of her songs were actually good songs. Hey, I can remember them from one another. She hasn't done that in a while.

Style over substance works as long as you have style.

You can lose style. Then you're left with nothing.

Anyway, i can feel a song coming on. I think its going to be called "Quite literally I hate war and everything cos I'm rich and thats bad and you suck look at me but really im being cynical its me its you I am art imitating a huge tit am i pleased to see you or do i have a cruise missile in my pocket amercia america i love you amercia but its all a bit ****ed up now oh no never mind shazamm im in high heels and am acting like im important but actually this ****ty song is pretty much the worst thing ive ever done but thats ironic yes it's iiiiiii-ro00000000n-iiic!!! Don't just stand there, let's go nuke it,
Strike Iraq, there's nothing to it - Vogue!"

Something like that. I think it''l be a smash. Well , some Arabs might buy it.

Honestly. If she wants to write funny songs she should go and get lessons from Trey Parker and Matt Stone for chrissakes.
Old 13th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The way that Madonna arouses so much venom annoys me.

On the other hand all it shows is that people are either a)fascinated, b)disappointed or c)threatened by her and that's doing quite well in an industry chock full of blandness.

Partcularly the point often said that her success is down to the "people" she's worked with. I mean this is true of anyone successful, but it's voiced implying that she has no talent but the men beside her do. Dream on. Considering how long she's been phenomenally successful it's a desparate shot.
Old 13th May 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
I think shes terrific. I just don't care for her new stuff much.
Old 13th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Renie
The way that Madonna arouses so much venom annoys me.

On the other hand all it shows is that people are either a)fascinated, b)disappointed or c)threatened by her and that's doing quite well in an industry chock full of blandness.

Partcularly the point often said that her success is down to the "people" she's worked with. I mean this is true of anyone successful, but it's voiced implying that she has no talent but the men beside her do. Dream on. Considering how long she's been phenomenally successful it's a desparate shot.
Hi Renie!

I've never posted anything (before this) about Madonna, pro or con. I'm willing to give her full credit for clever production, show staging, and the ability to regularly reinvent herself.

But I will always draw the line at calling her a great singer, because she's not. To say that she gets a lot out of what she has may be true, but that would have to be viewed as a bit of faint praise. Of course, I grew up in an era (and in styles like R&B and Jazz) where so many female singers had magnificent VOICES, it definitely colors my perspective. (Sarah Vaughn, Aretha, Tracy Nelson, Gladys, Chaka, Patti, and about 1000 others whose instruments blow Madonna away...)

Sound isn't everything - some of the greatest jazz singers had pretty limited instruments, like Carmen McRae, Sylvia Syms, Blossom Dearie, etc. And Mavis Staples wasn't exactly "Ms. Four-Octave".... But limited physical gifts can be overcome by brilliance of phrasing and emotional interpretation of the material. Unfortunately, these days instead being able top concentrate on musical craft, the modern performer has to allot much of that time to choreography, physical conditioning, cosmetic surgery, hair and makeup, and costuming.

That's why it is so refreshing to hear a Macy Gray or Erykah Badu or others who certainly don't fit the standard current diva mold, but, like them or not, are staying true to their own natural styles and excelling within their limitations.

All that aside, I also sympathize with your annoyance about how the success of female artists in general tends to be stereotyped as attributable to the talented men around them. Whereas far fewer people would say that many male artists owe their success to the talented women around them. (But there are those who give a lot of the credit to the Beatle's success, for instance, to George Martin. So the trend of crediting the producer is nothing new. Doesn't seem to be as true in jazz, though. While arrangers like Gil Evans and Quincy Jones get plenty of props, no one seriously says that John Coltrane would have been nothing without Rudy Van Gelder or Bob Thiele.)

I think I once had a point to this post, but I forgot what it was...!
Old 13th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bevvy B

My annoyance wasn't aimed at what you said.

Littledog

Great post.
Old 13th May 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by BevvyB
"The one thing that I hope madonna still has left is Pat Lenoards phone number....."

Totally, he was invloved in all my fave madge tracks. Timeless arrangements I'll still be listening to in 10 years time without chucking up. My fave album was Like a Prayer. After that she turned into an 'artist' in the modern art sense of the word and things became 'interesting' but musically unsatisfying.

Bring back 'Papa Don't Preach' kind of songs anyway. Those were songs that meant something to people. Some of her songs were actually good songs. Hey, I can remember them from one another. She hasn't done that in a while.

Style over substance works as long as you have style.

You can lose style. Then you're left with nothing.

Anyway, i can feel a song coming on. I think its going to be called "Quite literally I hate war and everything cos I'm rich and thats bad and you suck look at me but really im being cynical its me its you I am art imitating a huge tit am i pleased to see you or do i have a cruise missile in my pocket amercia america i love you amercia but its all a bit ****ed up now oh no never mind shazamm im in high heels and am acting like im important but actually this ****ty song is pretty much the worst thing ive ever done but thats ironic yes it's iiiiiii-ro00000000n-iiic!!! Don't just stand there, let's go nuke it,
Strike Iraq, there's nothing to it - Vogue!"

Something like that. I think it''l be a smash. Well , some Arabs might buy it.

Honestly. If she wants to write funny songs she should go and get lessons from Trey Parker and Matt Stone for chrissakes.
I actually prefer the Jellybean Benitez Madonna.

I think "Holiday" was one of her best songs.

But I'm old school.
Old 13th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think about Madonna......

Then I think about Annie Lennox......

Then I decide I will just think about Annie Lennox some more.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 13th May 2003
Founder

With media stars as well as their recorded & performed art you also get a "vibe" about them that is personal.

I like & respect her music & business legacy but I dont like what I have seen of her as a person.

πŸ“ Reply