Quantcast
if i like mcdsp filterbank....will the sony oxford.. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
if i like mcdsp filterbank....will the sony oxford..
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
if i like mcdsp filterbank....will the sony oxford..

i know that jules has said that his standby put across all channels
on a pro tools mix is the sony oxford plug in eq. how does that compare to
the filterband eq - i tend to use that for my overall tonality when i mix
in PT. is the sony the same sort of animal?? what would you compare
it too????? thanks
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the sony oxford eq is byond category. nothing comes close (in plugins that is). same for the dynamics if you ask me.

The filterbank is nice. I don't use it as an eq realy but for filtering fx ... like creating a phone voice for example ... it is outstanding for that.

As for other PT eq plugins :

focusrite = yuk
digidesign standard eq's ... well .... they come with the package.
waves = Q10 and ren eq are quite usefull eq's also the lin eq. Waves is good .... yes ... good is the right term I think
what else ... pultec ... don't have it ... don't know it really.
drawmers ... never bothered to take the time to realy try them so have to pass there too to be honest.

anxiously waiting for the massenburgs ... waiting for ilok.com to authorise it. quite high expectations there.
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Lambrechts,

thanks for the tip - i didn't realize the oxford was that special - never tried it.
as for massenburg stuff - his hardware eq is awesome but a bit too
sterile and clinical for me. i wonder what the plug sounds like?
there also is another digidesign/massenberg eq plug thats around now.
does the sony oxford have different styles of eq?
do you know what the latency is for the oxford in pro tools?
Old 9th May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I love the Sony plugins... The eq has 4 curves with the standard eq and a massenburg optional eq... The 4 stock curves are similar to SSL and neve and a master curve...

the latency is short 3 ticks if I remeber correctly..

the Sony comp has no competition, it's the only plugin I've found that can be used all over... the waves stuff, filterbank and BF are good, but the Sony is really great...
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
buickwilson-
thanks. as far as the sony dynamics, can you make that slam kinda
like a alan smart c2 - or an ssl e stereo buss guy - or is it alot more
civilized than that ? can you do 20:1 ratios , or 1:1.5 (extremes )
and set it to do like 30 db plus gain reduction?? is ther auto makup gain???
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
get in there Buck... I SO want to hear your answer to that last one... and please let it be a resounding YES.. No, seriously: If it's a no we can take it... honestly... :-)
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
not that it will make any difference to me... I can't even spell your name correctly... sorry about that
Old 10th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i just checked out the sony dynamics. the compressors fastest
attack time is 50ms. what the hell is that about???
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just posted this on the DUC and thought It would be appropriate to add it here as well.

I just demoed the Oxford, I have Filterbank as well. I was trying to hear and understand why the audio community is so split between this plug in and I came to the following conclusions.

I think the biggest thing is that Filterbank adds a very pleasing color (certain softness even with matched Q) that the Sony does not. So when you solo a track and listen to both plugs matched I tend to prefer the Filterbank every time musically. However I do not have a ton of high end outboard and often try to "add" to a track once it is recorded. The Sony adds "nothing". So I can see why many people love the Oxford on great recorded material where you absolutely dont want to lose the subtle nuances of an already great sound. The sony is very precise and "drier" than FB in this regard.

Where the Sony precision becomes very useful (in my opinion) is when you try and achieve "tight" bass control, or when you push the mids with a little high roll off you can get a very "glassy" sound I never got on FB.

Where the Sony is definetly better than FB is on percussive material. Transciends really do survive the Sony better than FB. Now this is all very subtle but I found this to be very apparent as a cummulative effect on an entire mix. It somehow makes everything more direct.

Mind you again, when I solo compare tracks I almost always found the FB to be more musical. Perhaps it is FBs pleasing "color, softness" on everything that cumulates in a mix and makes it less direct. I dont know but I can understand why people arent blown away sometimes with the Sony.

Lastly if there is one thing the Sony does hands down better than FB it is on preserving stereo material. Hands down winner on the mix bus.

In the end I guess the sony should be seen as a great compliment to FB. And now with the Massive Pack whether the Sony is worth 800 bucks should be less of an issue. I will be getting it for sure. I also believe it takes a couple of months to discover what a plugin can do not 15 days.

And yes I too love all McDSP products

My thoughts....

Peter
Old 5th June 2003
Mastering Moderator

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Chris and all of you using the Sony plug!
Does it work on Mac OSX? Digi says yes, Sony (on the website)says OS 9!
Thanks.
Old 5th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have used FilterBank since the day it was released. (!997/98?) Always thought it was the only plug-in EQ that was worth using. I bought the Sony EQ and the Massenburg EQ and have to say the Oxford is in a different class, as is the Massenburg.

This is no slight against FilterBank. For the money & DSP usage it can't be beat. The Sony seems to keep the integrity of the original source intact and The Massenburg even more so. The Sony is very musical if you use the Neve (Type 3) curve and can be more of a clinical EQ if you go w/ the other curves. After using it on a couple of productions, strapped over a lot of tracks is where it beats out FilterBank. Also, over stereo tracks the Sony is quite a bit better.

The Massenburg is the most analog sounding of the three IMHO. It can be clinical or musical depending on how you choose to use it. It really sounds beautiful but is very DSP intensive. The Sony is way more DSP efficient and FilterBank is the all time champ. The Massenburg is pretty special. (It also has more latency, approx 94 samples on a stereo track.)

Not a fan of Ren EQ of Focusrite........... (Own both of these as well.)
Old 5th June 2003
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OMG !!!

OMG !!!

OMG !!!

I just installed my new Massive Pack bundle and checked out Sony EQ for the first time....

OMG !!!

OMG !!!

I am soooo ohappy !!! I have an eq that acts / sounds like a great console EQ !!! Now I know what all the fuss is about !!!

OMG !!!

(can u tell I'm excited ! ? )

Not to mention all these other bonus toys...949 harmonizer...Aphex...Massenburg...

I have all the others (FB, REN, FR) but they can't touch this....

OMG !!!
thumbsup thumbsup
Old 5th June 2003
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OMG !!

Can you hear this kick drum thumping you in the chest just in the right place, and this snare snapping your pretty little face off???

OMG !!

Sony EQ Rocks !!!

Ok I'm caught up with everyone elses praise for this plug . Done.
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I wish there was a way to change the default curves on the shelving bands in Filterbank. It's a very nice EQ, but the default settings are seldom useful to me, and it's a minor PITA to adjust them to my default settings each time I bring up the plugin.. I know a couple of engineers who wrote off the plugin altogether because they didn't even realize those parameters were adjustable (peak/slope/dip)

I may have to get this Massive Pack, just for the Massenburg and Oxford plugs. I've pretty much got all the others, and it still seems like a good deal.

-dave
Old 5th June 2003
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by dave-G
I wish there was a way to change the default curves on the shelving bands in Filterbank. It's a very nice EQ, but the default settings are seldom useful to me, and it's a minor PITA to adjust them to my default settings each time I bring up the plugin.. I know a couple of engineers who wrote off the plugin altogether because they didn't even realize those parameters were adjustable (peak/slope/dip)

I may have to get this Massive Pack, just for the Massenburg and Oxford plugs. I've pretty much got all the others, and it still seems like a good deal.

-dave
Get it for those two and the Harmonizer and Speed, like I did.

OMG!OMG! Sony EQ !! OMG!!

(sorry...another outburst... )
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dave, Do it once, save it, and call it Dave's Default!!!
drew
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by drew
Dave, Do it once, save it, and call it Dave's Default!!!
drew
Now that's a simple and excellent idea.. .. which must be why it hadn't occurred to me yet. heh

-dave
Old 6th June 2003
Mastering Moderator

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by bombguy
It works in OS X and demos are available from the Sony site for OS 9 and OS X.

--Erik
Thanks Erik, I noticed on the download page. I must have been sleeping... or.....just a sign of old age
πŸ“ Reply