Quantcast
replacement speakers for a Fender Twin - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
replacement speakers for a Fender Twin
Old 7th May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
replacement speakers for a Fender Twin

Our guitar player has to replace the speakers on a blackface Fender Twin. What speakers should he get? He likes the big fat distortion but also plays clean and pretty too. I'm no guitar player, so I haven't a clue.
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
check out http://www.kendrick-amplifiers.com/

I got some killer speakers from him a year or two ago, but he said he was running out at the time...
Old 7th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
On the cheap, look at Naylor/Reverend speakers for a kind of hybrid Brit/American speaker sound, and the Eminence Vintage 30 copies sound a lot like old Oxfords, good for clean, dirty, and in-between sounds. Are Mojo-Tone's still around?

I had heard good things about the Kendrick Black Frames a while back, but haven't experienced them.

I really like WeberVST's stuff, and they have more choices than you could need and a wealth of help available to match you with the right speaker.

I hear mixed things about the Jensen reissues, with the general opinion being that they are a lot brighter than they ought to be, which could be a good thing in some cases.

Celestion Vintage 30's might still cut it for clean tones, though they probably wouldn't be my first choice for that aspect. They have become a standard with good reason, though, as they are good at a broad range of sounds, especially when some distortion gets into the picture.

I'm going to rule out JBL's for hard distortion, as they've just never made me happy for that, though they can be quite nice clean. Maybe EV's if you want a cleaner speaker, as they sound pretty smooth and big when pushed (SRV had these loaded in most of his stage amps).

Bear
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Weber C12N...the 50 watt version. I believe the name has changed though and is no longer called "C12N". This is what Ted Weber recommended for me to put in my '65 RI Twin Reverb. I'm happy everytime I play that amp.

Brad
Old 8th May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
speaker

I'll second the Reverend Alltone 1250. Awesome and versatile speaker that sounds great clean or distorted. Price is right too at $59. The Weber C12N is an excellent choice as well if you have a little more $.
Old 9th May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Thanks much. I have passed on the suggestions. We'll see what he comes back with!?!?
Old 10th July 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wondering if the price for the Oxfords below is a good deal:

I have a lead on a pair of what I'm told are original 50w Oxfords for @ $100, or $200 fully loaded and wired in a HUGE closed back 2X12 cab. The cab looks like it was made to house 4x10's. The trouble was it sounded a indistinct and muddy at the low registers, so I think I'll pass on the cab. Plus the guy just screwed a block of wood over its middle port to "tighten up the bass response." Not the kind of workmanship I had in mind, and this was in a guitar shop.

The Oxfords have no identifying markings or stickers on them of any kind. Anyone know how I can tell whether or not they are infact Oxfd's? They look at least look old.
Old 10th July 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not GT75's (tight but dark) or Greenbacks (semi-dark with an upper midranger bump). Those are both really popular speakers but would probably suck with a fender. Vintage 30's (well balanced) are a safe bet for versitility. The Fender Tonemasters come with Vintage 30's and do clean and distorted well. Jenens would probably be a be brighter, tighter (with the capabilty of quite a bit of bottom) and more brash with much distortion but are a nice complement to open back cabs for clean and somewhat driven tones.
Old 10th July 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Tone Tubby
Old 10th July 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I really like the Weber California 12s in clean amps...kind of a cross between JBL D series and Altecs, I think...use them in both studio and stage amps....

You could also try mixing different speakers - I've seen a lot of twin users get great tones bu having, say, a JBL and and Eminence, an Altec and Jensen, etc... running together...
Old 10th July 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
I'm running some Weber AlNico 12's that are kinda like a higher wattage version of the old Celestion 'green backs'... Roscoe Amble was telling me about some 'Jensen' 12" reissues that he seems to think are pretty awesome...
Old 10th July 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
We are using Celestion Vintage 30's in ours and aren't regreting it one bit. Beautiful clean tone, and a nice tight chunk when we run a distortion pedal into it.

Beez
Old 10th July 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
I'm running some Weber AlNico 12's that are kinda like a higher wattage version of the old Celestion 'green backs'... Roscoe Amble was telling me about some 'Jensen' 12" reissues that he seems to think are pretty awesome...
Yeah, I've tried out the reissues, and have a musicman cab loaded with them. Very killer.

I do reccomend trying out the "tone tubby" speakers though. That is what I ended up putting in my twin. They have a very sweet/detailed midrange.
Old 10th July 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Obviously you are going to get different opinions but i'm happy w/ the pair of JBL K120's that i put into my Blackface Twin, incredible tone but it makes the bastard weigh even more than it already does!

-Jay
Old 11th July 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Funny, I brought this back to life to find out how I can identify umarked Oxford speakers. Guess I should make a new thread...

Old 11th July 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
vote for Weber VST

You could track down some originals but how reliable will they be given their age.

My recommendation is to go with Weber VST. I would call Mr. Ted
Weber himself but he's usually only their on weekends or e-mail him. Go to their web page. He explains all the possible choices.

Based on your preference, go with Alinco magnets which break up sooner and warmer than ceramic. Fender Twins are a clean beast so speaker break up is a good idea.
πŸ“ Reply