The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha NS10m Studio monitors and Amplifier thread
Old 25th October 2022 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui ➡️
OK, the question to me is, why? What for? Can you not listen to music at "normal" levels? Will the music get better when played loud..?

When you raise the volume to unrealistic levels, inevitably, distortion increases. This results in an inaccurate monitoring situation which kind of defeats the purpose.

The NS-10s were designed as hifi speakers to sit on bookshelves, not to simulate dance venues.

Anyway...
you can as low as you want, the strong amp is not for high volume but for supertight woofer control.. especially a closed enclosure needs that, and makes the NS 10m way more revealing in the low registers
Old 25th October 2022 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by hekho ➡️
Hi,
I power my NS-10M Studio with SMSL SA-98E.
Those are cheap class D amp with 2x160W.
To me the combination sounds really good and it takes very little space on my desk.

But I just found this thread and started to ask myself whether a "proper" amp would give me even better result.

Is there anybody who had the chance top compare some class D amp with the others classic amps ?
class d amps sound blunt, them work, but esprcially on NS10, that are as revealing for the quality of amps as they are on mixes, class d is no good idea. A warm and noble sounding amp is best for them. amps from the hifi wotld should be considered highend models of their time. Even top end Marantz receivers can be good, but them got expensiv too. you might ask around if some old highend hifi amps lurk in family storages.
📝 Reply