Quantcast
Yamaha NS10m Studio monitors and Amplifier thread - Page 24 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha NS10m Studio monitors and Amplifier thread
Old 16th April 2021
I picked up the CLA-200 amp for my original NS-10's yesterday. It actually sounds really good. Not quite as bright and powerful as a 4B but a very good sounding amp IMO. It def gets the job done in my room. NS10's are my 3rd set of speakers so I don't spend a ton of time on them like I used to do a few years ago. I'd recommend the amp for anyone who's looking to stay under $1k.
Old 24th May 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So, I might be getting a pair of NS-10's as my "small" speaker for my room. I have two Amphion amps: The 500 and 700. Right now I'm using the 700 with my Two 15's but I love the way the Two 15's sound with the 500 so I have no problem switching them off and using the NS-10 with 700.

Anybody here ever try NS-10's with the Amphion Amp 700?
Old 24th May 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Thread is long! My experience - I picked up a pair of NS-10m’s and was driving them with a NAD 2155 (NAD 3020 as pre). They sounded harsh and shrill and delivered all of the horrifying forwardness in the upper mids of legend. I switched out the 2155 for a Yamaha AX592 - decoupled to run as a power amp only, so 2 x 100w monoblocks.

Night and day!!

The soundstage opened up and their 3D imaging is great. Feed your NS-10’s with lots of power people. Like a lot of Yamaha speakers they are very revealing of their chains.

I wonder how much bad press is a function of chains where people are used to hearing their speakers, as opposed to hearing what is behind them?

NS-10’s...true love at second sight : )
Old 25th May 2021 | Show parent
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seby ➡️
Thread is long! My experience - I picked up a pair of NS-10m’s and was driving them with a NAD 2155 (NAD 3020 as pre). They sounded harsh and shrill and delivered all of the horrifying forwardness in the upper mids of legend. I switched out the 2155 for a Yamaha AX592 - decoupled to run as a power amp only, so 2 x 100w monoblocks.

Night and day!!

The soundstage opened up and their 3D imaging is great. Feed your NS-10’s with lots of power people. Like a lot of Yamaha speakers they are very revealing of their chains.

I wonder how much bad press is a function of chains where people are used to hearing their speakers, as opposed to hearing what is behind them?

NS-10’s...true love at second sight : )
Exactly. Drive NS10s - hopefully they are Yamaha NS-10M Studios - with a Yamaha amp and you'll have a great sound.

I've got two pairs now, powered by two different Yamaha amps, and I don't want anything else. You can add a sub to give it a touch of boom and bang, but you'll only need very, very little of it.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui ➡️
Exactly. Drive NS10s - hopefully they are Yamaha NS-10M Studios - with a Yamaha amp and you'll have a great sound.

I've got two pairs now, powered by two different Yamaha amps, and I don't want anything else. You can add a sub to give it a touch of boom and bang, but you'll only need very, very little of it.
Ah they are not the Studios, they are the plain NS-10M - first run

But I do have a pair of NS-30T’s arriving on Friday! The excitement is real
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ah they are not the Studios, they are the plain NS-10M - first run

But I do have a pair of NS-30T’s arriving on Friday! The excitement is real
Right! I know nothing about the NS-30Ts except for what I just read on the net... I wasn't aware of this model but, back, in the 80s, I had a pair of largish 3-way Yamaha hifi speakers with the most incredible wooden finish. The idiot that I was, I sold them... These days, they'd be worth their weight in gold.

You probably know of this site:

http://www.ns-10m.com/buying.html
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui ➡️
Right! I know nothing about the NS-30Ts except for what I just read on the net... I wasn't aware of this model but, back, in the 80s, I had a pair of largish 3-way Yamaha hifi speakers with the most incredible wooden finish. The idiot that I was, I sold them... These days, they'd be worth their weight in gold.

You probably know of this site:

http://www.ns-10m.com/buying.html
Ahhh! I wonder what they were? OOops : /

I shall start a thread about the NS-30T's if they are interesting enough to warrant it. They have a reputation in some circles as being the best 2-way speaker that Yamaha ever built. Well I am not sure about that but the curiosity is killing me!

^Thanks for the site, I did not know it
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
A bit of trivia:

"We were only interested in achieving the cleanest, most natural reproduction possible.
As it turned out, what we were trying to achieve was precisely what the audio production professionals were looking for."

http://pdf.muzyczny.pl/msp10st_interview.pdf

A scientific paper on the NS10M:

"The other very significant aspect of the performance of the NS10M is seen in the waterfall plot in Figure 3(36). No other loudspeaker shown in Figure 3 shows a shorter low-frequency decay time; indeed, such a rapid decay is usually only found in large, high quality, full-range monitor systems."

"What is also very significant is that many of the loudspeakers tested exhibit rather long low-frequency decay times (Figure 3) as a consequence of the use of both reflex enclosures and electronic protection filters. This has often been done in an attempt to get an extended low frequency performance at relatively high SPLs from small enclosures. Recent work carried out at the ISVR on the audibility of high- pass protection filtering has suggested that filters acting above 30Hz are perceived to audibly colour the sound. One consistent complaint from mastering engineers has been that from the less advanced studios, a common problem due to poor monitoring is a mis-balance in the relative mix of the bass guitar and bass drum that cannot be corrected by equalisation at a later stage. These mis-balances are almost certainly due to time-related response problems in the mixing environment at low frequencies."

https://dt7v1i9vyp3mf.cloudfront.net...ry/n/ns10m.pdf
Old 28th May 2021
Gear Head

i'm using a mesa/boogie 50/50 to power up ns10

https://youtu.be/9Hf5hcmrZcM
Old 5th August 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What would y’all think between these 3 amps for NS10 Studio monitors?

1) Yamaha PC1002
2) Adcom 545
3) Sony 55ES

4) Crown D75A (which I actually have for some Auratones, but could switch it up)
Old 5th August 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seditionary ➡️
What would y’all think between these 3 amps for NS10 Studio monitors?

1) Yamaha PC1002
2) Adcom 545
3) Sony 55ES

4) Crown D75A (which I actually have for some Auratones, but could switch it up)
I do not think that the Crown would have the heft you might want, but any of the first three would do very nicely : )
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hi! It would be great if anyone could help me with this one. I have NS-10M Studio monitors and an amplifier Samson Servo 550 Studio amplifier. Anybody knows if I can connect these two together?

Any help appreciated!

P.S.

Copied Specs from oficial page of the amplifier Samson Servo 550:

Servo-controlled, 3-space rack-mount stereo and mono-bridgeable power amp
Produces 275 watts per channel into 4 ohms (stereo mode) and 550 watts into 8 ohms (bridged mono mode)
Wide, linear 20 Hz to 50 kHz frequency response for superior sonic performance
Fully balanced 1/4" inputs
Balanced 1/4" and binding post outputs
Relay-controlled power-on circuitry prevents speaker "thumps"
Front-panel Clip, Idle, Protection and Power LEDs
Bipolar output stage for quiet audio performance you can always count on
Independent left and right input level controls with 41 detents
Convection-cooled design eliminates fan noise
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaz ➡️
Hi! It would be great if anyone could help me with this one. I have NS-10M Studio monitors and an amplifier Samson Servo 550 Studio amplifier. Anybody knows if I can connect these two together?

Any help appreciated!

P.S.

Copied Specs from oficial page of the amplifier Samson Servo 550:

Servo-controlled, 3-space rack-mount stereo and mono-bridgeable power amp
Produces 275 watts per channel into 4 ohms (stereo mode) and 550 watts into 8 ohms (bridged mono mode)
Wide, linear 20 Hz to 50 kHz frequency response for superior sonic performance
Fully balanced 1/4" inputs
Balanced 1/4" and binding post outputs
Relay-controlled power-on circuitry prevents speaker "thumps"
Front-panel Clip, Idle, Protection and Power LEDs
Bipolar output stage for quiet audio performance you can always count on
Independent left and right input level controls with 41 detents
Convection-cooled design eliminates fan noise
Sure - just do _not_ turn it up very far at all
Here for the gear

Quote:
Sure - just do _not_ turn it up very far at all
Thank you!
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by akila ➡️
Updated first post with more info and pictures.

EDIT; This post #2 might contain more in-depth information about amps and NS10 tech later..

NS10m
Program 60 watts, 120 watt max into 8 ohms.
For my setup with NS 10s, I use a 27 year old Bryston 2-B (up to spec) and works perfectly fine for my mixes. I mix at a conversational volume and get great results! I occasionally slightly crank them and the 60 watts they pump out are plenty for me! I think getting a 250 or higher power amp is overkill unless you mix on the loud side. For me, if it sounds good on the lower volume side, it should sound good when you crank them.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I do not think that the Crown would have the heft you might want, but any of the first three would do very nicely : )
Any thoughts on which of the three might be most revealing for mixing? Thank you
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seditionary ➡️
Any thoughts on which of the three might be most revealing for mixing? Thank you
Gosh, honestly I have no idea, so you might want to dig around online and see if you can find any report about this that come across as reliable. Look also for reports on fan noise and transformer hum and whatnot if these matter to you : )
📝 Reply