Auralex stuff - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Auralex stuff
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Auralex stuff

Alright...

who thinks it's good for the money and who thinks it's total crap?

I may buy some to tighten up the area behind where i record drums.
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, it hasn't changed my life but the speaker pads have definitely improved the low end on my mixes when translated to other speaker systems.

I am about to pop for their room kit as I have gotten some good reports from a few people. I need to kill about a 75ms slap back off my walls when recording vocals.

If the artsy look is not your thing, you could probably find a foam factory somewhere and duplicate the results at a lower cost.
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It works as advertised... how you deploy it will either solve existing problems or create new ones. I experimented a lot using velcro to mount so I could move it around. Once I found the right median balance (I record drums in this room) I think it helped my situation quite a bit (overly bright room).

Not sure the room kit is that great a deal... I really didn't know exactly what my room would need in terms of pieces & types, so I bought a box of 2'x4' sheets and trimmed to taste. I also picked up a few bass traps to kill some boomy stuff coming from my guitar amp on a stand in the corner. Putting a few leftover shims from the monitor pads under the guitar amp was a bonus.

In my experience the adhesive spray blows ass, and is some toxic smelling ****. You have to lay down a ton to get any sort of stick, so **** that. Better to use several very small nails to hang it, and it will stay up. Lastly, try and find auralex locally because shipping it is big $$ due to size.
Old 7th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
OT but related

You should consider the fire-rating aspect of your purchase regardless of brand or type.

My 2 cents.....
Old 8th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Made a big depth and spacial difference for me. I was playing tunes as I put it up and heard it get better and better as I put it up. Placement is everything. Of course, if i had a great room, I wouldn't need it... oh, well, soon enough.
Old 8th May 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
I think it's pretty damn overpriced for what it is. Especially the diffusor panels which are just molded styrofoam. I'd get rolls of fiberglass (703 is really good), plywood & fabric and roll my own if I had to do it again. Also, they'll be much easier to recover after a few years. The Auralex stuff looks fine/good/great (pick one according to your taste) until someone tears it up with a case.

BTW, the best quote I heard about the adheasive came from a friend who had just started to put the stuff up. He called to ask me a question and said "Man, this stuff smells great!!! If you don't hear from me by tomorrow call someone who cares!"

Classic. thumbsup
Old 8th May 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I am pretty happy with the Auralex stuff I got for my room. I got some of the corner things and some 4" panels and it really tightened up my room which is both control room and drum booth.

I did their free consultation thing on the website and sent them a diagram of my room they sent me back detailed suggestions of where to put the foam. Since they are in the foam selling business, I took it with a grain of salt and bought 2/3 the amount of foam they suggested and I think it was just right

Jay is right though, it's costin'. I got the Metro style (even more $) which has a really classy look which in my case was a consideration. If looks count, it might be worth paying more for it, otherwise you could go with the egg crate type stuff or DIY for a lot cheaper.

I too am mystified by how expensive diffusers are (not just auralex's) I can see how all that math and science about primitive roots etc. might make them hard to design, but once designed, manufacturing it should cost about $5
Old 10th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
some good stuff

sometimes it's hard to find 703 type compressed fiberglass in smaller quantities.
auralex offers 6 2x4 sheets of mineral fiber in a box for like $75. That a good deal if you just want to make some broad band absorbers. all you need is some 1/4 plywood sheets and some cloth to cover them.

Also the styrofoam (metrofuser?) sheets are not too bad price wise. and do a great job on flutter without being too dead.

I'm not into the foam.
Old 10th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Overpriced,UGLY, and way less effective than what you can DIY....

look here:http://www.recording.org/cgi-local/u...ubb=forum;f=34
poke around and also check out Ethan Winers and John Sayers sites...(you'll find links)
703 rigid fibreglass and a little elbow grease and you'll be way happier.(with $$$ left over.

Not that the Auralex stuff dosen't work....do some research you'll be happy you did (we saved many hundreds of $$$ not going foam)
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I was going to buy another room full of it as I have bought it over the years and moved to a new room and needed help.. I opted for the Acoustic Sciences studio traps instead and it changed my life. www.tubetraps.com Go there. Find out about them then suck it up and buy them. Foam is bull****.
Old 19th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I disagree about foam being BS.

The Auralex 3" has a coefficient that is pretty spectrally balanced. That is all I would use.

In a nutshell, the "problem" with acoustic foam is that people tend to buy the thinner variants because they get more square foot coverage for cheaper. But even the 2" doesn't get down into the midrange and especially lower midrange, so you end up with unbalanced absorption, that leaves bags of 200-500Hz hanging about while only having controlled the higher frequencies. 1" foam is a catastrophe, as is traditional carpeting.

This will invariable sound like crap. Merely moving to the 3", properly shaped, foam and adding some low end trapping will make a world of difference relative to thinner foam. More expensive, but money well spent.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Right.. Yes I suppose this is your exxperience and therefore most likey accurate. I have no experience at all with the 3 inch foam so I was not commenting on that. I should have been more specific. Brian have you used the Acoustic Sciences studio traps though? There is a studio in Nashville I think It's called Audio arts that is full of that stuff. Permenent but it's the same stuff. Great sounding. It has really changed the largeness in my tracks and is improving my mixing and it's great because they are mobile. I move them around whatever I'm tracking and then move them to mix possition for mixing. I'm just really happy with purchasing them over the foam. I still have some foam up as well though. In the corners I have those corner traps and I guess they help a little? But now I've got the Acoustic Sciences Speaker stand trap bottoms and tops and they made my Mackies sound like new speakers. In a VERY good way. VERY expensive but worth it I would say. And as my budget allows I will add more and more traps. I project to owning at least 20 of them in the next 2 years. I have 9 now. What I was saying was that the 2 inch foam I have doesn't even touch the difference the Studio traps has made for me. So I view the 2 inch foam as being fairly useless. :>) Never tried the 3 inch.

Mitch
Old 20th May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I wouldn't touch Auralex 'cos they're ugly, and the colour is likely to fade in a relatively short space of time. Not sure if the foam will hold together either. I have a few stock foam wedges a couple of years old now & they're falling apart.

You can't trap bass with foam (at least not without it being several feet in thickness), diaphramatic or slot resonant absorbers are the only solution. Check out the links given above.

I wouldn't go for Tubetraps either 'cos they're also ugly. They may however work extremely well, but I have no experience with them. But they are awkward & intrusive of valuable studio space. I saw one picture posted somewhere of a drummer in a booth completely surrounded so you could only see the tops of the cymbals. Apart from being claustrophobic & a PITA to set up around the kit, it meant he couldn't see into the CR or studio area for visual communication (and vice versa)!

I know where my penny's going.
Old 20th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I am using 2" foam with many bass trap corner wedges. While I still have issues in the 200-500 range, they are nowhere close to where they used to be. I can predict what a mix will tanslate to now. I actually used "T" pins for the foam instead of glue.

My whole deal had to be temporary and when I get my room built, the foam will go in the garbage or to someone else. Comparing the product to a Russ Berger designed room or even one desinged with good practices is not even close to being fair. For being between a rock and a hard place in a temporary setting, the stuff does the job. While it didn't solve every issue, it did give me some depth and some clarity when I started with none.

Point... Use the right product for the right application.
Old 20th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
If you heard the tube traps you would change your mind and they would suddenly look really really cool to you. Everyone who comes in says so. "Wow, what are those things, they really look cool"! And these are really cool people saying so. LOL. True. You can situate them so the drummer can see and the difference recording drums with them to without them is HUGE. As is with everything else. Not useing them because you think they are ugly is halarious. And you are totally missing out. But to each his own. :>)
Old 20th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have some Auralex in my place and it's OK.
Check out this place as an alternative http://www.foambymail.com/soundproofing.html

-Scotty
Old 20th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I bought Auralex maybe 15 years ago? I don't know? A LONG time ago. It did a little of what I needed, then about 6 years ago I was given some more for a new place. It again helped a bit. This time though I looked a little deeper as I wanted somthing that really took me into major studio land. I found it with the studio traps. I sucked it up and paid the money and I'm laughing ever since. They are so good they cause a person to say somthing like,, "Aurelex is crap".... Even though I know it's not, but compared to Acoustic sciences studio traps yes it is. This is my experience. I have never owned the 3 inch though and I'm sure it does something but hey, It's just foam. The studio traps put WAY more music into the mic then what you get without them. They are moduler. You can put them around anything and it sounds much much better. They make the tracks sound more solid and thick and punchy and around the mix station they allow you to hear things you could not hear before as the tighten up the room. They are the single most important purchase I have made in a long time and I cannot wait to get more. They are musical and that's a fact....
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…