Quantcast
New MoreMe Cheap Ass Headphones - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New MoreMe Cheap Ass Headphones
Old 6th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
New MoreMe Cheap Ass Headphones

I thought this might be interesting for some of you. This is about what's the minimum you need to do a good job, at an affordable price.

If you're only recording yourself and you need headphones, stay with the top of the line headphones from Sony, Sennheiser, Beyer, and AKG.

But if you're recording bands, you'll need cheaper, more rugged phones, with decent isolation, to pass out to band members. I couldn't find anything to fill the bill, so I decided to do something about it. All the info is at:

http://www.ITRstudio.com/moreme.html

They're $20 per pair, and there's a one month trial period.

Here's what they look like:
Attached Thumbnails
New MoreMe Cheap Ass Headphones-moreme.gif  
Old 6th May 2003
Founder

Wow, what a price!
Old 6th May 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
WHAT A BRAND

What a brand!

I'm sure this will intrigue the egos of rock band, and many2 more vocalist.

Moko
Old 6th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
FWIW: I tried the new super-inexpensive headphones from Behringer. I think they are rather good low-cost headphones, will buy a pair of each model and see how rugged they are.

/Mats
Old 7th May 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Harvey, if this isn't a joke, I think you've got a great idea at a great price. Especially for head-banging drummers. Too bad the extension cord costs almost as much as the cans. A 20' cord that dosn't short out and costs $5 is your next mission.
Old 8th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Mats Olsson
FWIW: I tried the new super-inexpensive headphones from Behringer. I think they are rather good low-cost headphones, will buy a pair of each model and see how rugged they are.

/Mats
I looked at the Behringers, but aren't they an open back design, or at least ported? That's what they looked like in the picture and I didn't read anything that said they were sealed, which wouldn't make them very useful for tracking. I think they're advertising them as low cost "DJ" phones, whatever the hell that means.
Old 8th May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Just ordered 5 sets!

I needed some tracking phones.

Looks perfect.
Old 9th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The 3 new Behringers hp's: 2 closed, 1 open back.

/Mats
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OK, I've added some more cheap-ass stuff that people never seem to have enough of when they really need them.

This time, it's low cost mic holders (for typical tapered-body mics like the Shure 57 and 58), and a spring-clip mic holder that works great for most of the other types of mics and holding homemade pop filters. They aren't the cheapy all-plastic kind either - they have molded-in 5/8" brass inserts. Radio Shack sells them for $5 each, and Musician's Friend sells them for around $4 each.

If you order these when you order headphones, it'll be $2.50 each for either type. Add 25 cents for shipping. If you've already ordered the phones, I'll still ship as many mic holders as you want (without another headphones order).

Here's what they look like:

Here's where to order all this stff:

http://www.itrstudio.com/moreme.html

And this is my last commercial message (until I find more cool cheap junk that's hard to find at bottom feeder prices).
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Mats Olsson
The 3 new Behringers hp's: 2 closed, 1 open back.

/Mats
What's Behringer's warranty policy on them if they break? How long would it take to get them replaced? Are they warranted in case of physical damage caused by the user, or just for defective parts?
Old 14th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Harvey ...

Do these cans solve the ghost click track problem
Old 14th May 2003
Founder

TIP - DAW's help that, automate your click's send to cans to fade down on quiet passages and you are golden...

Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Or if the players can deal with the closed back Sonys, there is soooooo little bleed.

BT
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

Most of the times players (drummers) need the click on quiet passages right?
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
We use 8th notes (played on a hihat sample from a drum machine) for our click track. It's way less obtusive, and easier to eq out than using a straight click.
Old 15th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just leave the click in the mix, throw in a little Alesis NanoVerb and you've got a great addition to that silly drummer.
Old 10th July 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cat
Harvey, if this isn't a joke, I think you've got a great idea at a great price. Especially for head-banging drummers. Too bad the extension cord costs almost as much as the cans. A 20' cord that dosn't short out and costs $5 is your next mission.
Okay, I think I've solved that problem - I'm now selling a 25 foot straight, heavy duty, headphone extension cable with molded ends for $6 each - about $2 less than the 20' Radio Shack cable. We've been running them in the studio for over a month now and no problems with them, period.

More info on the whole line of cheap ass MoreMe stuff at:

http://www.ITRstudio.com/moreme.html

A lot of people have been buying more sets of the MoreMe headphones and I think I've had only one bad set so far, out of hundreds sold.
Old 3rd July 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Harvey's stuff rocks! Excellent +++ for the $!
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
As Harvey's only USA dealer and totally biased as hell, I gotta say the MoreMe phones are a hell of a bang for the buck deal. We had one guy return one pair who thought they were the hardcore isolation type. Other than that, literally zero complaints on any of the MoreMe stuff including the clips and cables.

His warranty is insane.

War
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Kudos to you for providing a much needed service Harvey! And also, for being so considerate with the warranty! I'll be getting some very soon!
Old 3rd March 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just got 4 pairs in the mail, and wanted to ressurect this thread. Construction quality is good, kinda sits funny around the ears. The chord is indeed very short, but I ordered 4 extension cords. The sound is decent, I wouldn't do any mixing on them, but there's kind of a midrange presence that might be good for a click cutting thru a mix. Overall, a very good deal, and a good product. Thanks for the heads up, Harvey! I recommend!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Cat
Harvey, if this isn't a joke, I think you've got a great idea at a great price.
No joke. I got a pair for my wife, she really likes them for tracking.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Yes - they're kinda like the SM57 of the headphone world (nails watch out!). Excellent value and they're exactly how Harvey describes them.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Great idea. but here are two features I would like in cans designed for the studio. First, coil cords get tangled in other cables, so a straight cord might be an improvement. Second, it would be great to not have the cord hard wired. 90% of the time cans break, it's just the cable. So if the cable was on a jack with strain relief, that would be great.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb
Great idea. but here are two features I would like in cans designed for the studio. First, coil cords get tangled in other cables, so a straight cord might be an improvement. Second, it would be great to not have the cord hard wired. 90% of the time cans break, it's just the cable. So if the cable was on a jack with strain relief, that would be great.
I wish, but at the quantities I sell, I have no clout to get those kind of changes made, at least not at present. The short cord actually works as kind of a strain relief and keeps the cable from breaking when the extension cable gets stepped on.

And they are starting to show up in a lot of the bigger studios:

Mike at Southern Tracks in Atlanta has 5 pair of MoreMe's.

George Massenburg has 4 pair of MoreMe's.

Terry Manning at CompassPoint has 10 pair of MoreMe's.

How cool is that?
Old 9th August 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
pyrimid or moreme??

Check out these headphones in australia and compare the pics to moreme
http://http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Pyrami...QQcmdZViewItem
I think i will pick up a could pairs of these in australia as i'm guessing they came from the same factory!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobz ➑️
Check out these headphones in australia and compare the pics to moreme
http://http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Pyrami...QQcmdZViewItem
I think i will pick up a could pairs of these in australia as i'm guessing they came from the same factory!!
They probably did, but all the volume control models are POS and won't work for studio stuff; they'll last about a week in most studios. If they have headphones without the volume controls, get those instead.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sorry harvey can you explain that simpler
Cheers
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobz ➑️
sorry harvey can you explain that simpler
Cheers
Sure, the volume controls don't work for ****. They work for soft, spoken word stuff, which is what those headphones were designed for. Put loud music thru those level controls and they'll burn out very quickly, leaving you with a nice pair of dead earmuffs for winter. Pyramid does make some headphones that don't have volume controls and those should work fine for most studio applications.

When I started looking for cheap headphones for our studio, I tested about 60 different headphones. Out of all those tests, I found exactly two models of inexpensive headphones that can handle larger amounts of power and (since none of the music stores I talked to were interested in carrying them), I decided to sell them myself. I put my own brand name on them because I provide a better warranty than the manufacturer does. I also modified the Deluxe models to provide a smoother midrange.

These two manufacturers don't give a crap about the audio industry (and it was a real pain in the ass to even get set up as a buyer with them), so I'm not gonna give them free advertising by mentioning their names. I do buy one model from Pyramid, but that one ain't it. I tested that particular model, and it failed in just a couple of days, as did ALL the headphones that had built-in volume controls.

In the last two years, the MoreMe's have proved themselves in a lot of studios around the world and that's gratifying to me. I now have two American dealers (Mercenary Audio and Front End Audio) and a European distributor. If I find better versions of the MoreMe's, I'll get them, but so far the models I sell seem to be the best phones for studio use that I've found.

If you want more bottom end (and you can live with sweaty earcups), try the Sennheiser HD 201's. They're cheap, and all plastic, so I don't know how long they'd hold up for heavy studio use, but they do have good frequency response and some decent isolation. That's about the only other cheap brand I feel comfortable in recommending other than the MoreMe's. The MoreMe's will probably outlast the HD201's under heavy studio use, but the HD201 is pretty decent for the price.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is it possible to have these made in a one sided version?
We are in the middle of looking for a new set for orchestra (up to 90).
Can these compete in terms of isolation with the beyer dt102?
πŸ“ Reply