Korby Audio/The Convertible
Old 2nd January 2005
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Classy move!
Old 2nd January 2005
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
@Roundbadge: Would you still buy it with the current 6.9k price tag ? I'm tempted to testdrive one of these ...
Old 2nd January 2005
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I was getting ready to buy a vintage c-12 for around 6,500. To me, this is a fair price for 4 mics in one. Four excellent mics in one. I'm been singing into the 251 capsule all morning through a 1073 and a Mercury 66 compressor. Sounds like God. Whatever He sounds like.stike
Old 2nd January 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd really like to check this system out during our next session. On our last one, we demo'd a C12 from Wunder that was just out of this world. I'd like to hear what the various Korby modules have o offer, because for he price of a really gorgeous high end mic, it may be worth it. Vinage King is who to contact about trials?
Old 3rd January 2005
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Yes. If you're in LA you need to speak with Jeffrey there. I sang through a real c-12 a couple of years ago and really would have to have them side-by-side to know the difference. Having heard all four capsules, for me, the c-12 is not my first pick. I love the u-67 and then the 251 and u47, which is dark, but Korby will add air or whatever you want. You can also send in a CD of your voice and he'll tune the capsules to tailor fit your voice.
Old 4th January 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sorry if this has been covered. If I want just the mic with one capsule, is that the KAT 1? When reading a review of the Korby system, the pricing seemed lower in the past. Did it used to be different from $4,500 for the KAT 1? And is that all I need when I buy the mic, or do I need to buy the power supply thing I saw at vintageking.com also? Thanks for enlightening the naive

-Mike
Old 4th January 2005
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Jep,

Kat 1=1 capsule
Kat 2=2
A while ago Kat 4 used to be around 6k if i remember correctly.
Dunno about Kat 1
Quote:
All systems include PSU/Cable/Swivel Mount and a flight case is included with a four head system
Old 4th January 2005
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I just purchased the Korby from Vintage King this afteroon after being BLOWN AWAY by it. Evidently, people are taking thier 20,000 Elam 251s and buying the Korby and having it dialed in so they have a matched pair. That's how good they are. I bought it with a 251 capsule and a U67 capsule. They come with power supply and if you send i a CD of your voice, they'll tune the capsules to your specs. I understand that no has has returned a Korby after it's been tuned. Korby has an ear. I paid 5,400 for a Korby with two heads. It won't come with the cool flight case in less you buy all four heads. But power supply is included. Hope that helps. Demo it if you're in LA, you'll be amazed.
Old 11th January 2005
JTR
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would like to read a technical explanation as to how a multi-capsule/single circuit mic is able to replicate the original models, all of which had a different capsule/cct/grille, etc.

Is this a capsule tuning trick?

sounds very interesting, and tempting; would love to hear more about this
Old 11th January 2005
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I would contact Korby and talk to him. Or his wife who knows how it works.
πŸ“ Reply