Quantcast
Korby Audio/The Convertible - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korby Audio/The Convertible
Old 12th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How can Vintage King be exclusive if Vintage Loop sells them too?
Old 12th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
... And is that 900$ plus true?
Silly question I guess, but irresistable.
Old 12th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Got my Korby

Well,

Got my Korby with all 4 capsules. I haven't had a chance to do a vocal yet, but I did some voice over work (which is hardly telling) and compared all 4 capsules against my Manley Gold. The result - the each capsule had a very distinct flavor, and I couldn't be happier. For the voice over I did (which is hardly telling), the C12 sounded truly amazing. The U47 was really dark, but since I have never gotten my hands on a real one, I have no way of knowing if it was an accurate recreation of the original. I can't wait to cut vocals on it.

My only beef - I paid $6k for mine through VintageKing, and now I see Vintage Loop selling it for $5400 + $275 for a case = $5675. I don't see how VintageKing is exclusive.

- Kent
Old 13th June 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Exclusive

Hey, ya'll!
There was a misunderstanding with exclusivity and for Korby the Convertable, Vintage King is the only authorized seller. The price increase was neccassary due to underestimates in production time costs. These microphones are very "boutique" and it took Korby and Vintage King some time to evaluate true manufactering time and expense. Each capsule is hand built and tuned which can take some time which is multiplied by four per system. Still a remarkable value, considering the prices of the competetion that only provide one tonal character. I have been using the mic for some time now on a variety of music types and instruments. Let me know if ya'll have any ?'s
cheers, Jeffrey
Old 13th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
So are you saying that your $6000 price includes the price increase? or that they plan on adding another $900 to that? if so I think it's a big mistake...this mic sounds like a dream mic if you could get the cost down not up!! your going the wrong way man... cheaper please seriously though is it going to be $6900 soon? and when will the price increase take effect?

Also... everyone says the same thing about the U47 capsule...perhaps they should just work on that one and get it to more people's liking or model it on a different "golden" U47... I am going on a trip for a couple of weeks but there is a good chance I am going to pimp out granny inorder to get this mic...assuming I can get a good amount for my U95s... **** maybe I will sell my 4060 too ... might have to to get this :(

Also anyone know anything else coming out like this? seems like such an obvious idea... and i already know the blue bottle..I didn't care for that one..
Old 13th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I'm under the impression that the $6k does NOT include the price increase. When I ordered, I was told that it was $6k, and the price would be going up in 2 weeks. I really think $6k is a great price for this system, and I'm not complaning at all, just a bit sore about the VintageLoop deal.

I would love the U47 capsule if there was just a hint of top end. It is so dark.

- Kent
Old 13th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by hoop

I would love the U47 capsule if there was just a hint of top end. It is so dark.

- Kent
That is pretty true to form for u47's and clones. They don't have the top end lift that c-12's, 251's, Brauner's and such do. But if it is a good u47 clone, it will take EQ very well. You should be able to shelf the top end into a modern vocal sound without getting sibilant or strident.

If you can do that, nothing matches the mids, and bottom on a u47. I'm in Nashville myself....it would be fun to hear my Soundelux E47 compared to your Korby.
Old 13th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sounds like a really great tool, but I don't think I could ever see myself forking over that kind of $$ for one mic. I like to record several sources at once, and usually use nice mics for all, so it just wouldn't make sense. And at 7k, a good deal of bargain searching could get you 3 seperate boutique mics.
Old 13th June 2003
VIP

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Ckevperry
... I'm in Nashville myself....it would be fun to hear my Soundelux E47 compared to your Korby.
If you guys get together on that, let me know, I can bring another E47 and an ELUX251 to the party.
Old 13th June 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Korby Convertible capsules

After reading the threads on the Convertible, I thought I would let everyone know Tracy will hand tune his 4x capsules that come with his system for the individual who is buying the mic . When you compare his Elam and modded 67 head to the C12 and 47 head's, they will sound a bit darker, as they should, as he was going for a stock tone with them. Original, properly tuned 47's, are darker in in the high end, glassy area, so most people gravitate towards the top end sheen of the Elam and 67 head when first hearing them next to eachother (the 67 head has been opened up in the 12-15k area and the low end has been opened to bring forth more richness to supliment the classic 67 mids) His stock 47 is more like the tone of a 47 from Abbey Road in the 60's used for classic Beatle's track's, where the body of the mic cut's through the track, not the top end sheen. However, if you ask upon ordering, he will add some top end sheen when hand tuning the capsule. It is all personal preference. He will do this after you recieve the mic. He really adds the personal touch with this service. Also, the capsules are available as multi-pattern, or cardiod only for optimum output and richness. what people seem to like the most is that they are able to demo the mic for 3 day's and hear it in their own envirionment before deciding whether to drop the bucks or not. If you are in LA/Southern Cal area.... Jeff can bring by mic by for a personal trial.
Mike-Vintage King Audio
Old 13th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Kevin & Michael,

I think we should get together and put all the boys up against each other. I could bring my Manley Gold. The only question is when. I'm out all next week, but then things lighten up...perhaps week after next?

- Kent
Old 14th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I am gonna be in LA next week so hopefully I will get a chance to hear this puppy and hopefully it will suck so I am not tempted to pimp my grandma out to pay for it...but i bought a nice sexy outfit for her just in case heh
Old 14th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jeez, this convertible had me twisting. Normally absolutely not my price class the idea of paying a heap more somewhere in the future for the full package ( and not at least naturally the expected quality for now ) had me going. Arranged to loot my last reserves and supporting the deal later with selling my bike as well.

But my dealer whom I had asked to check out hasnΒ΄t come back to me since Thursday, so I guess he couldnΒ΄t get his hands on it. And now its too late anyway and I can put down my heart attack pills again.

A thrilling little story though. Phew ...

Gearitis is a serious desease, only lucky that it is nothing intravenous. It would just be too much to push all those bills into your arms to feel a U47 or any of its sparkling relatives.
Old 15th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
can any of the capsules be set to omni?

i typically record vocals with omni to avoid the proximity effect.
marsh
Old 15th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Marshall Simmon
can any of the capsules be set to omni?

i typically record vocals with omni to avoid the proximity effect.
marsh
Quote:
The C12 and 251 are multi-pattern, while the U47 and U67 are cardiod only for optimum fullness (multi-pattern available for these upon request).
Old 15th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
someone smack my for my stupidity

thanks
marsh
Old 16th June 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
omni setting for the convertible

Marshall, all of the heads can be set up for multi-pattern (card., omni, fig.-8) if you request this upon ordering. With a standard 4 head order, the Elam and 47 heads are set for cardiod only for optimum richness in low end response and higher output....and a lower noise floor.

Mike/Vintage King Audio
Old 23rd June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Guys
Been dealing with Tracy for like 5 or 6 years, and I cant say anything but great things about him and his products. Its great that his stuff is finally getting noticed. I own 2 of his original FETs and Tube mics, use them everyday. I sold off a lovely AKG and 89, with no regrets.

But, his new stuff is just silly.

I havent heard quality and consistancy out a compliment of mics, maybe ever.

Ive heard the lawson, no comparison, and the same for the U95.

take care

Sean
Old 2nd September 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I ended up purchasing the Korby Convertible and here is a quick review:

If you are looking for a world class mic, this one should absolutely be considered! I got the 251 and 67M capsules.

I ran the the mic through my Neve 1073 pre w/ no compression. The 251 has incredible detail to it. On a male vocal (smooth voice), the mic was very balanced sounding with a beautiful, open top end, not 'sizzle-y' at all. The mic had a lot of body and low end as well, but still, it was very balanced and even sounding.

On a 'raspy' male voice, the mic sounded huge, but the top end got a touch overwhelming because of the 'rasp' of the vocalist. This is where the 67M capsule would be just the ticket. (More to follow.)

On acoustic guitar, the 251 sounded beautiful. When strummed, depending on your track and placement of the mic, the top end might get overwhelming with the pick attack against the strings. Some tracks may call for this though. On a fingerpicked acoustic guitar part, the 251 was amazing. The detail of the mic really shined in this application!

The 67M capsule was a real surprise. The mic has a much more open and extended top than a stock 67 and I can't wait to use it on a female vocal. On a smooth male vocal, it sounded very full, clear, with no midrange honk what so ever. Beautiful top and big bottom.

On a raspy male vocal it just killed. Right in your face with an open top end you can't get w/ eq. It seemed to have a vintage compression to it on the 'rasp' of the vocal that really smoothed the voice out.

On acoustic guitar, it sounded wonderful. Strummed parts were very punchy and in your face with a nice top end. A fingerpick track was very cool as well, though the bottom was a little heavy.....

My biggest surprise with this mic is that it actually works as a concept. The different capsules created 2 totally different mic vibes. There was no 'common color' added to both mics: ie they sounded like 2 different mics from 2 different manufacturers.

I am very familiar w/ the Soundeluxe U99 (a great mic!) and the Korby 67M to my ears sounded like the Stephen Paul modded 67. Loved it!!

Not that familiar with the Soundeluxe 251 (or Lawson), but the Korby 251 is well worth checking out. The most detailed mic I have ever heard.......

Again, this is a mic worth checking out.
Old 5th September 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I heard that Mutt lange bought several of these puppies... oops did someone say Shania....

I listened to the 67Capsuled Korby and loved it!!

If anyone knows what the originals sound like its Tracy!!

Thumbs up for the convertible!!
Old 6th September 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Well,

I've had mine for a few months now, and I couldn't be happier. Initially, I didn't think I had much use for the U47 capsule, as it was pretty dark compared to the other 3, but I just cut a vocalist ala' Josh Groban, and the U47 won hands down. What an amazing mic. I can't wait to see what other capsules and/or bodies he's got planned.

My Manley Gold is about ready to be put up for adoption. So sad. Kindof.

- Kent
Old 7th September 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've had mine for about three weeks. I was actually pleasantly surprised with the 47 head. It is somewhat dark, but the low end warmth is impressive.
Old 8th September 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
u47 KAT4 top end

Please take in account, a natural U47 from the factory, is going to be darker than a C12, Elam and the modified U67 capsules that come with a Kat4. If Tracy modified the 47 to be brighter, he feels this would be against the purpose of the 4 head system. The point is to try to match the capsules of the C12, Elam and U47 (other than the modified 67, which has extended lows and a more open top than a stock 67 tone). If every mic was bright, than why have 4 heads and seek individual tones out of each capsule? At times, with certain recording, a rich, full vocal is what the track needs. if you want a bit of 12k, reach for a nice EQ, to add the amount of top end air you need. Thanks
Mike Nehra/Vintage King Audio
Old 10th September 2003
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
How do they exactly alter the caps to a particular taste?

If it is to do with re-tensioning, then isn't this not the best idea for long-term reliability etc? I believe Stephen Paul says that each diaphragm has an optimum tension and that if this tension is not adhered to, the capsule will never sound its best or last as long. I'm no tech expert, and probably not paraphrasing S Paul very well, but does anyone else know more?
Old 11th September 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Re: u47 KAT4 top end

Quote:
Originally posted by cuda If every mic was bright, than why have 4 heads and seek individual tones out of each capsule?
Mike Nehra/Vintage King Audio [/B]

Why would you not use the darker colors to paint on your sound 'canvas'?

The Korby is both light and dark - with tones inbetween. If I could use only 'one' mic - this would be it.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 11th September 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
There are indeed proper resonance frequencies calculated for specific backplate designs, therefore capsule variations and tunings are not accomplished by varying diaphragm tensions at Korby Audio. They can, however, be tuned and altered by capacitance adjustments and/or backplate manipulation. For instance, CK12 backplates certainly have a magical spot achieved by selecting the proper chamber volumes and capacitance interplay.

Thank you for your interest.
TK
Old 19th September 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
So, how'd you learn all that great stuff, TK?

Brent Casey
Old 28th December 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
SO its been a few months...........are they still hot?
Old 28th December 2004
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Yes ,the KAT is still a winner.Had mine for 7-8 months ...Works beautifully on everything. Love It!!
Old 2nd January 2005
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Just had Jeffrey at Vintage King drop it off to me for the weekend. My favorite capsules are the u67 and 251. I purchased a new Telefunken 251 at namm 2004 last year and played with it for a while. I wound up selling it because, although it was silky to the bone, it lacked a that top end that 251s normally have. Having heard and sang through vintage 251s, I would say that Korby is closer to the mojo. I am probably going to buy one.
πŸ“ Reply