Quantcast
Chandler LTD-2 - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chandler LTD-2
Old 28th July 2003

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Meriphew
What applications does the LTD 2 tend to sound best on - vox, guitars, bass...?
Like ém on Kick, vox, drumbus, bass.....
Old 28th July 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Lindell
Like ém on Kick, vox, drumbus, bass.....
Thx Lindell.
Old 28th July 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
Geoff... what a lovely, pedantic explanation... when you use the **** in application, get back to us.
Hi Fletcher

The problem is that opinions are not necessarilly facts... they are just perceptions. Thrillfactor disagrees with you with his perception (owning both types of compressor) and I merely posted a reason why I'm surprised that you feel that they sound the same... the circuitry being very different.

It's no skin off my nose...

Old 30th July 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff_T
The problem is that opinions are not necessarilly facts...
Granted.

However, the "facts" can get in the way of choosing and using a tool for a purpose. From a user perspective, the 2254 with stock attack and release times is a useful tool in legato applications. The 2264 can perform similar feats with very similar sounding results... much as a 1081 (3104) will "work" in any and every application where a 1073 might be applied.

Next to each other, they do indeed sound different. Next to each other they can, and usually are, applied for different purposes... the intent being to employ their differences to gain a variation of tone and texture... but when one of each [or seven of each] ain't available... either will work in similar legato applications.

Because of the 2264's faster release times and far more musical attack times, they are far more useful in non-legato applications [i.e. drums].

2254's [especially 2254/A's] are 2/3rd's useless in that application (as it applies to my work)... so the output amplifier is entirely irrelevant as the function affects the form to the point where the minutia of output amplifier is about the last thing that would come into play in the decision making process.

Nuts and bolts and theory of operation is all well and good and not to be dismissed if unknown... but nuts and bolts don't make records. When you get right down on it... I ain't never seen no mother****er walking down the street humming an output amplifier... that output amplifier may be part of the 'textural presentation', it may enhance the ability of the engineer to wring every ounce of emotional content from the collection of performances that is the recording... but it is only a means to an end.

Which gets us back to where we started... I humbly submit that the differences in function far outweight the differences in tone in terms of making either unit useful for an application.

How does any of this nonsense relate to the Chandler LTD-2 you may ask? The differences in the function of the unit place it more in the realm of the 2264 in actual application than in the realm of 2254... it may have the same (similar, whatever) output amplifier as a 2254, which very well may have nothing to do with the amplifiers in the 2264... but in application the Chandler LTD-2 has far more in common with the 2264 than it does with the 2254.

I hope this clarifies my previous statements.
Old 30th July 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
Granted.

I hope this clarifies my previous statements.
Hi Fletcher

Indeed it does!

Thank you for posting this.

📝 Reply