Quantcast
How to set up my HEDD? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to set up my HEDD?
Old 6th May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
How to set up my HEDD?

Just got the hedd and am going to be using it for AD/DA and as a digital insert on my protools master fader. My question is: How the hell do I do this? I understand how to use it as an AD. (I run analog into the hedd set it to AD, and run AES/EBU out into the 888/24 say on digital 1-2, and set protools to digital sync.) I also have a rossetta and this is how I always tracked stuff before.(Note: I have no dedicated outside clock.) But what I don't understand is how to use the Hedd as a DA or insert. On the protools I/O window ther is no way to choose to run out of protools digitally, and on the inserts I can't choose a digital input. I also don't understand how to use a master fader hardware insert. The way I prevoisly processed stuff was as follows: Assign output of individual track to a sub-out of the 888/24 to my patch bay, patch in whatever gear (comps, eq etc.) then run analog into the Rosetta to protools digitally and record the new audio to it's own track.This new track would be assigned to my main outs for monitoring. How the hell do I actually run it back as an insert on a track? Also when I have the 888/24 set to digital sync, and I change the Hedd to digital (as opposed to AD/DA or analog) it makes a crazy noise and makes everything on my 888/24 light up and then I have to shut down the computer to get it to work again. Is this normal?
Feel free to ask me more questions about my set up in case I'm not being completely clear.

By the way, this is my first post, I usually just read. You guys and gals all kick ass!
Thanks for your time,
-Oliver Hart
Old 6th May 2003
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Welcome!

There may be other ways but this is how I am doing it. For the master fader insert, I have my 9/10 in/out i/o setup as the aes etc...then on the master fader, do an insert i/o, and choose 9/10.

Make sure the HEDD is set to DIGITAL on the far right knob when using it as an insert on the buss; flip it over to analog when you want to use it as A/D. I have my A/D's on my patchbay.

The cool thing is that using it at the end of the recording chain, on your PT track you set the input to that same AES i/o (in my case I use A9 or A10 in PT).

You can also record a mixdown to a new stereo track thru it. With it setup on the master fader (like mine is 9/10), add a stereo audio track, name it "songtitle_mix01" or whatever...Mute it...put it's input to 9/10. Then you can record thru the HEDD and back into PT for your mixdowns.
Old 6th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: How to set up my HEDD?

Quote:
Originally posted by Oliver Hart
But what I don't understand is how to use the Hedd as a DA or insert. On the protools I/O window ther is no way to choose to run out of protools digitally, and on the inserts I can't choose a digital input. I also don't understand how to use a master fader hardware insert.
The following applies to Pro Tools 5.3 - things may be a little different in other versions:

Go to the Setups menu, and choose Hardware Steup

There should appear a list of your interfaces on the left.

The main page will have eight pairs of I/O's listed (1/2 thru 15/16). You can assign ANY analog pair or any AES pair to any of the hardware pairs of inputs and outputs. (For instance, you could have every output on your interface be AES 5/6 if you wanted.) Actually, to be precise, the inputs will say AES but the outputs will just say "digital".

To insert outboard gear, you do it the same way whether analog or digital connections. Go to one of the insert slots on an aux fader or master fader (or channel fader, for that matter) and notice that below where it says "TDM Plug-in" and "RTAS plug-in" is an option that just says "I/O". That's the one you want to pick (you will have to specify which hardware pair).

The determination of whether the outboard is connected via analog or digital is made by whether the I/O path you selected was assgined to be AES/digital or analog in the Hardware Setup window. Otherwise, the process is the same.

Note that if you want to "bounce to disk" and use the HEDD for processing the mix (tube and tape emulation) you would probably put it next to last on the inserts on the master fader, while the last slot would be reserved for the L2 (or L1+) if you are using those for brickwall limiting and dither. In that bounce scenario, you would not be able to use the HEDD as a DA converter while bouncing (at least not accurately), as it would not be last in the chain.
Old 6th May 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Good info!
Great tips!
Now if I could only afford a HEDD
Old 6th May 2003
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: How to set up my HEDD?

Quote:
Originally posted by littledog
Note that if you want to "bounce to disk" and use the HEDD for processing the mix (tube and tape emulation) you would probably put it next to last on the inserts on the master fader, while the last slot would be reserved for the L2 (or L1+) if you are using those for brickwall limiting and dither. In that bounce scenario, you would not be able to use the HEDD as a DA converter while bouncing (at least not accurately), as it would not be last in the chain.
I've been using the L1+ before the HEDD, with no dither, as my brick wall. I use Waveburner which has pow-R dither built in, so I stay at 24 bit. I guess I for some reason want the HEDD last...also like using it's meters, they are excellent!
Old 6th May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks a lot guys. I'm all up and running now. That was a lot easier than I was making it out to be. Thanks again.

-Oliver Hart
Old 6th May 2003
Founder

I hope we gave you a CLEAR HEDD START!

Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Re: How to set up my HEDD?

Quote:
Originally posted by jho
I've been using the L1+ before the HEDD, with no dither, as my brick wall. I use Waveburner which has pow-R dither built in, so I stay at 24 bit. I guess I for some reason want the HEDD last...also like using it's meters, they are excellent!
That should be just fine. As long as whatever is dithering is last in the chain. I think I'm going to pick up Waveburner ASAP - I am getting SO tired of MasterlistCD and its primitive feature list and limitations. (Like you can't even select a batch of files - you have to add them to your list one click at a time). I'm assuming Waverburner can do everything (and more) that Masterlist could do, like crossfading, volume tweaking, etc.?

Once I have Waveburner I switch to the way you are doing things (HEDD last).
Old 7th May 2003
Founder

Pow-er?
Brick Wall?
Waveburner?

Sounds like a a Matel game for kids!

Oh.... sorry! I am back now, I don't know what happened to me just then.... I will be fine in a minute... just need to sit down a second....

Old 7th May 2003
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Re: Re: How to set up my HEDD?

Quote:
Originally posted by littledog
That should be just fine. As long as whatever is dithering is last in the chain. I think I'm going to pick up Waveburner ASAP - I am getting SO tired of MasterlistCD and its primitive feature list and limitations. (Like you can't even select a batch of files - you have to add them to your list one click at a time). I'm assuming Waverburner can do everything (and more) that Masterlist could do, like crossfading, volume tweaking, etc.?

Once I have Waveburner I switch to the way you are doing things (HEDD last).
Yes, it is good (Waveburner Pro 2.Xx whatever the latest version is has POW-r dither built in). It will do everything pretty much and more than MLCD did. It also has a graphic view which is essential.

It will also automatically take 44, 48, 88, 96 files without any fuss. The one thing I have found I don't like about it (unless I'm doing something wrong is that in PT HD when you go over 48, you are saving as wav files, so if you are mixing down thru the hedd back into PT, even if you setup a STEREO two track, you still have to export/convert it to wav stereo file to use in WB.

At least that is what I have found. If anyone knows better lemme know. Otherwise I'm real happy with WB.

Except for that stupid, periodic authorization validation that requires you to insert the original software CD...jeez.grudge
Old 7th May 2003
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Pow-er?
Brick Wall?
Waveburner?

Sounds like a a Matel game for kids!

Oh.... sorry! I am back now, I don't know what happened to me just then.... I will be fine in a minute... just need to sit down a second....

πŸ“ Reply