The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundcraft Spirit Studio
Old 30th July 2009
  #1
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Soundcraft Spirit Studio

Hi!

I haven't really found too much info on the net about this mixer. Some posts suggest that it's really great sounding, but nothing too specific.

Does any of you have experience with this mixer?

Thanks,
j
Old 30th July 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
A band in my area homerecorded their first two CDs with this desk and hit #1 once and top ten 3x. Wahtever that means
Old 30th July 2009 | Show parent
  #3
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
It's hard to find something better accordng to its price range! I always loved these nice british sounding desks.
Old 30th July 2009 | Show parent
  #4
Gear Addict
 
seb37000's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I dont like this console, I had too use it for some out of the studio recording, really nothing like the good soundcrafts.
Old 30th July 2009 | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
cosmos's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
horrible sounding muddy eq..., decent line/pres for synth work - not recording, very heavy, 99% of them have noisy pots by now (they are not worth the service).... overall useless. avoid it by all means... even if the price looks very right for the futures... look for used Tascam/Soundtracs or better save for a Ghost... learn from other people mistakes (me) ...

Later when i bought a Ghost, i dident even wanted to sell the Spirit, it will only make some one else records sounds bad... stay itb untill you can afford a better board...

seriously.
Old 30th July 2009 | Show parent
  #6
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Thanks for your replies!

I've come across a used one with 24 channels in great condition, hence my original post

I've also read that some commercial records were mixed with these desks, so I guess it really should be at least acceptably sounding. Based on this, I'm contemplating on using this mixer to do analog summing at least for my demos. I hope it's a sane idea
Old 30th July 2009 | Show parent
  #7
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seb37000 ➑️
I dont like this console, I had too use it for some out of the studio recording, really nothing like the good soundcrafts.
Could you give some more details, please?
What were the problems?

Thanks,
j
Old 30th July 2009 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
I recorded an album on one in the mid-90s at a friend's studio.. the album came out amazing (still happy with the sound today).

I didn't like all the connections on the top (they can get dust in them) and the lack of a meter bridge.. but in that price range, they were definitely a big step up from the Mackie and similar to the Topaz.

They definitely didn't suck.
Old 30th July 2009 | Show parent
  #9
Gear Addict
 
Konketsu's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I had one of the 32.8 Spirit Studios, and the only reason that I got rid of it was that The Girl was tired of having a huge console in the living room surrounded by a pile of hardware.

The one thing that I didn't like about it was that the TRS jacks used on the inserts were starting to fatigue.

It's a fine console for the price that they sell for on the used market. If you can't make a good sounding record with the preamps and EQ on this console, it's no fault of the console.
Old 30th July 2009 | Show parent
  #10
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Thanks for your replies, quite reassuring for me to buy one

I've seen mostly good reviews about this, maybe it was the first time for someone to say it's complete crap... I've especially seen many praises and some pointers for commercial records having been made with it. I've listened to some of them and think they turned out quite well. Then it shouldn't be bad, I guess... Though I can image it's not a Neve or similar, but I think it would do good enough service for me, especially for its used price.

I've gathered from Internet sources, that it was used on at least these records:
- first few Autechre records
- apparently this group is using it, too: http://www.myspace.com/oosync

Do you know of anything else?

Thanks,
j
Old 30th July 2009 | Show parent
  #11
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 ➑️
I recorded an album on one in the mid-90s at a friend's studio.. the album came out amazing (still happy with the sound today).

I didn't like all the connections on the top (they can get dust in them) and the lack of a meter bridge.. but in that price range, they were definitely a big step up from the Mackie and similar to the Topaz.

They definitely didn't suck.
Yeah, a meter bridge would be very nice :P

Btw do you have that album on MySpace or in any other source so that I could listen to it?

Thanks,
j
Old 31st July 2009 | Show parent
  #12
Here for the gear
 
tyco's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Perhaps Jim Williams will mod it for you.
Old 31st July 2009 | Show parent
  #13
Lives for gear
 
memphisindie's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
#1, it's a fine board similar to the Toft ATB in features, probably more, older and needing a cleaning, maybe.
#2 you can make hit records on it.
It's modular under the hood so it's easily modable.
#4 it's transformerless, transamp design (two transistors class A infront of IC opamp) so that means the top end can be extended with small mods. Don't expect that transformer sound. It can be modded to have them even in the output stage.
#5 it's a +4 board, once it's "unmodded" comes modded to be -10.
#6 the powersupply can and definitely should be upgraded makes the biggest difference,
#7, the chips stock are TL072's and they can be switched out if the powersupply is modded which if also recapped will improve everything, headroom, sweetspot, clarity over the entire spectrum, which makes it awesome,.
#8 it has some 5534's in the line amp which can also be upgraded which makes it sound even better.
Pots probably need cleaning and that will really help.
Faders ain't bad in them either.
I've had mine for 20 years, bought as a project board, modded full out, love it for what it is, a workhorse that sounds ridiculous. I'd put it up against a trident or a Neve any day, I've worked on all those boards, this one sounds different, but, after modding, competes favorably.
Howz that?
Old 31st July 2009 | Show parent
  #14
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie ➑️
#1, it's a fine board similar to the Toft ATB in features, probably more, older and needing a cleaning, maybe.
#2 you can make hit records on it.
It's modular under the hood so it's easily modable.
#4 it's transformerless, transamp design (two transistors class A infront of IC opamp) so that means the top end can be extended with small mods. Don't expect that transformer sound. It can be modded to have them even in the output stage.
#5 it's a +4 board, once it's "unmodded" comes modded to be -10.
#6 the powersupply can and definitely should be upgraded makes the biggest difference,
#7, the chips stock are TL072's and they can be switched out if the powersupply is modded which if also recapped will improve everything, headroom, sweetspot, clarity over the entire spectrum, which makes it awesome,.
#8 it has some 5534's in the line amp which can also be upgraded which makes it sound even better.
Pots probably need cleaning and that will really help.
Faders ain't bad in them either.
I've had mine for 20 years, bought as a project board, modded full out, love it for what it is, a workhorse that sounds ridiculous. I'd put it up against a trident or a Neve any day, I've worked on all those boards, this one sounds different, but, after modding, competes favorably.
Howz that?
Wow, some great info, many thanks!

I'm a bit rookie at electronics now, but definitely striving to catch up, it's my other great interest nowadays. I don't feel myself up to the task of modding it yet, but will inspect that possibility when I've had some more solid experience in electro stuff. ;]

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie ➑️
#6 the powersupply can and definitely should be upgraded makes the biggest difference
What did you mean by this?
I mean, I've read that the original PSU is not really up to the task and is susceptible to break. But as I gather, once it's broken, it's... broken, so no sound, one should repair or replace it
I'm sure you meant something other than this, so what's that? Would replacing the factory PSU with a better (perhaps more suitable) one improve even the mixer's sound (by maybe providing more stable power or something like that)?

Thanks,
j
Old 31st July 2009 | Show parent
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Phaidon's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith1261 ➑️
Thanks for your replies!

I've come across a used one with 24 channels in great condition, hence my original post

I've also read that some commercial records were mixed with these desks, so I guess it really should be at least acceptably sounding. Based on this, I'm contemplating on using this mixer to do analog summing at least for my demos. I hope it's a sane idea
You should really go for it if the price is right!

It's not the perfect desk and it has its flaws(like most kit),eq indeed kinda muddy but warm sounding.
Some of the best recordings have been done on this desk.
From "Dust Brother" to "Moby","Portishead"..+ many others.


Cheers
Old 31st July 2009 | Show parent
  #16
Gear Addict
 
seb37000's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I meant exactly what cosmos said ! But maybe it was more of a maintenance probleme, althought I've worked on other boards of the spirit line in good condition and never liked them, I dont think there any better than a macky or low end yamaha's.
I would not take the " hit records were made on this board" argument, some hits where made on macky's too, and they sound great, I have a friend that has one and do's great records with it but he uses outboards pre's for recording and never touches the e.q. on the board, you could do that with the spirit I guess.
Now for the mode, well I guess you can turn a lot of low end boards in to good sounding boards after doing what memphisindie said, but do you have the knowledge, the money and the TIME to do all that ?
Then again if its cheap ( how cheap ?) and in good condition why not, but I think I would rather go for a tascam 2524m or something like that.
Old 31st July 2009 | Show parent
  #17
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
One thing with these is they very annoyingly do not have an eq bypass switch. So if you want to compare how the sound was flat, you're screwed and can only wind off your eq setting to zero and back......lol.....back-ish.......I'd get a Delta instead. Much better. Pro build. Modular. Cheap as chips now. Eq switch
Old 31st July 2009 | Show parent
  #18
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith1261 ➑️
Yeah, a meter bridge would be very nice :P

Btw do you have that album on MySpace or in any other source so that I could listen to it?

Thanks,
j
I don't have it up anywhere.. PM me and I can try to stick a couple of tracks up for you somewhere.
Old 31st July 2009 | Show parent
  #19
Lives for gear
 
memphisindie's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith1261 ➑️
Wow, some great info, many thanks!

I'm a bit rookie at electronics now, but definitely striving to catch up, it's my other great interest nowadays. I don't feel myself up to the task of modding it yet, but will inspect that possibility when I've had some more solid experience in electro stuff. ;]
Keep on learning. I'm still learning, but, I'm a bit of a well digger, once i get started I go as deep as possible as quick as I can.
Quote:


What did you mean by this?
I mean, I've read that the original PSU is not really up to the task and is susceptible to break. But as I gather, once it's broken, it's... broken, so no sound, one should repair or replace it
I'm sure you meant something other than this, so what's that? Would replacing the factory PSU with a better (perhaps more suitable) one improve even the mixer's sound (by maybe providing more stable power or something like that)?
Thanks,
j
You can fix them, there is an upgrade schematic, and some of it is kinda common sense-ish if you know a little bit. I've fixed and upgraded my broken one and it works well.
That said, the one I'm using now is an A&H RPS11, which is a much higher wattage PSU.
Internal connections to the cable are on a jumper and should be soldered instead.
Filter Caps should be at least 10,000uf. Mine are. Once the power supply is stiffened
it makes a huge difference, but then you'll want to upgrade the caps for more transparency and clarity, and you'll want to upgrade the caps in the board to stiffen the power further closer to the components that need it and suppress any stray HF oscillations. You'll want to use appropriate material (COG/film/foil/polypropelene/polystyrene/polyester/electrolytic) for the area you're working on. The more an area is going to be amplified (closer to mic input) the better the specs on your caps need to be. Some need to be low impedence some need to be low esr. It will come together once you're under the hood. Use the search function here on GS and there's loads of info an links to good info. Don't buy into a certain cap being "the best" it's hogwash. There's no "one cap fits all".

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb37000 ➑️
I meant exactly what cosmos said ! But maybe it was more of a maintenance probleme, althought I've worked on other boards of the spirit line in good condition and never liked them, I dont think there any better than a macky or low end yamaha's.
Stock, just on specs, and noise, they bury both of those suggestions. Yet people mix on them too.
Quote:

I would not take the " hit records were made on this board" argument, some hits where made on macky's too, and they sound great,
Well, if you took it out of context, it wasn't meant as an argument, just a point. It isn't going to hinder your efforts.
Quote:
I have a friend that has one and do's great records with it but he uses outboards pre's for recording and never touches the e.q. on the board, you could do that with the spirit I guess.
Yes, the spirit pre's have a class A front end, a transamp, two transistors biased to class A in front of an IC opamp, no transformer. Once this is tightened up it's better than just fine for a pre, the highs aren't as restricted or grainy as a transformer and yet still there is an extended sweet spot. It's very very punchy without the mud.
Quote:

Now for the mod, well I guess you can turn a lot of low end boards in to good sounding boards after doing what memphisindie said, but do you have the knowledge, the money and the TIME to do all that ?
Then again if its cheap ( how cheap ?) and in good condition why not, but I think I would rather go for a tascam 2524m or something like that.
Exactly. It isn't that hard, and it's a quick study. doesn't take that long. Best to send it off and get the nice surprise later, but, if you want to save a ton you can do it yourself no problem , just get organized before you start. It's all in the prep.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
One thing with these is they very annoyingly do not have an eq bypass switch. So if you want to compare how the sound was flat, you're screwed and can only wind off your eq setting to zero and back......lol.....back-ish.......I'd get a Delta instead. Much better. Pro build. Modular. Cheap as chips now. Eq switch
A Delta is not an inline board, you'll pay a lot more and it's not a better board at all. I use one every week. It is bandwidth limited, great for live, not so much for recording. You'll need twice as many channels to accommodate the return path and unless you want to be annoyed by routing restriction which is way more annoying that an EQ switch you don't need, you need an inline board for recording, the Delta is a live console. The Spirit is modular under the hood, there is no monolith or surface mount involved.
Once it's modded you won't find much need for the EQ if your mics are decent, not meaning expensive. There is a switch to get the shelving in or out of the path and there are detent positions that get the mid sweep shut off. You won't find this a problem at all.
If you use line inputs which are all over the board and inserts and outputs on everything, plus an oscillator switchable and all the control room function, 2 track return, efx ins, outs, inserts, aux ins outs and inserts, master sections stuff, headphone controls, etc, You CAN'T beat one of these with anything currently available, especially modded. Delta's don't have 65% of the functionality alone.
on mixdown you can have as many as 56 inputs going at once. THAT is why I bought mine so long ago. The rest is just a bonus.
Old 31st July 2009 | Show parent
  #20
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie ➑️

A Delta is not an inline board, you'll pay a lot more and it's not a better board at all. I use one every week. It is bandwidth limited, great for live, not so much for recording. You'll need twice as many channels to accommodate the return path and unless you want to be annoyed by routing restriction which is way more annoying that an EQ switch you don't need, you need an inline board for recording, the Delta is a live console. The Spirit is modular under the hood, there is no monolith or surface mount involved.
Once it's modded you won't find much need for the EQ if your mics are decent, not meaning expensive. There is a switch to get the shelving in or out of the path and there are detent positions that get the mid sweep shut off. You won't find this a problem at all.
Nope, it's not in line, but then in today's setups that doesn't necessarily matter, as personally I wouldn't have much desire for monitor ins. And you can chain them up really easily (ribbon cable) for however many channels your power supply can feed. Also, on the no-eq-switch thing we'll just have to differ and let the OP decide whether it is of importance. I most definitely feel hampered when I can't switch an eq to bypass without having to twist the knobs to zero.....and then not getting the EXACT eq back in a second.......no way. As far as needing eq, I'd say if you have no interest in using the eq on a desk, why buy it? Whether there is a difference in quality between the Delta and Spirit Studio I am not qualified to answer, also haven't heard a Spirit since early 90's.......Delta still sounds good though, and did cost multiples of the Spirit at the time......for some reason I reckon......
Old 31st July 2009 | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 
memphisindie's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I'm not digging at you, no slight intended, but, I'm going to pick this apart to focus it toward the "budget minded"and the board the OP is requesting info on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
Nope, it's not in line, but then in today's setups that doesn't necessarily matter,
It does when you may be talking footprint and function.
Quote:
as personally I wouldn't have much desire for monitor ins.
Add footprint and the need for a buttload of inputs on mixdown and you might.
Quote:
And you can chain them up really easily (ribbon cable) for however many channels your power supply can feed. Also, on the no-eq-switch thing we'll just have to differ and let the OP decide whether it is of importance. I most definitely feel hampered when I can't switch an eq to bypass without having to twist the knobs to zero.....and then not getting the EXACT eq back in a second.......no way.
Well, you can have the input take all the eq and switch between the monitor path and the input (it has a flip switch for that) and then you can have them both adjusted to whatever volume you want and/or match them, switching that one button will accomplish the same effect. one has EQ, the other way it is switched out. you can go back and forth and back and forth and it won't affect your EQ choice.
Quote:
As far as needing eq, I'd say if you have no interest in using the eq on a desk, why buy it?
Justin Case. My point was that if you select the appropriate mic, and the appropriate gain for the mic and source, with this board modded, you won't "need" the EQ, however, the EQ has a very significant increase in quality once modded, though it isn't bad initially stock, modded it become pretty stellar. However, with the increase in bandwidth and clarity, you won't need it much.
Quote:
Whether there is a difference in quality between the Delta and Spirit Studio I am not qualified to answer, also haven't heard a Spirit since early 90's.......Delta still sounds good though, and did cost multiples of the Spirit at the time......for some reason I reckon......
I work on both regularly, the Delta' pre's sound just fine, I have no problem using them at all. I have no problem recommending one for live or recording use so long as it's routing is appropriate for the user. For a person looking to find a diamond unpolished, I recommend the Spirit studio with the mod. It competes with anything out there in the recording world. Even the big stuff. The routing options are first rate and only the Toft ATB competes in this "size" range for routing and sound stock, sonically I like the Spirit modded better. I'm sure the Toft modded is right there with it.
The Delta does have a few mods available and sounds fine stock, but, my Spirit modded smokes it.
The Spirit we're talking about is a Ghost before ghosts were available, it's the same board. Just in case you're wondering what you're considering purchasing.
Old 31st July 2009 | Show parent
  #22
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie ➑️
The Spirit we're talking about is a Ghost before ghosts were available, it's the same board. Just in case you're wondering what you're considering purchasing.
Now you're confusing me.....lol....

If that's what it is (although I can't see how....??), I think I'd still go with Jim Williams' knowledge on these, and I do believe I remember him saying the Delta is moddable to a much higher standard than a Ghost, as the construction/design is better.

Either way, I'm not saying a Spirit modded wouldn't sound great as well.
Old 31st July 2009 | Show parent
  #23
Lives for gear
 
memphisindie's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
Now you're confusing me.....lol....

If that's what it is (although I can't see how....??), I think I'd still go with Jim Williams' knowledge on these, and I do believe I remember him saying the Delta is moddable to a much higher standard than a Ghost, as the construction/design is better.

Either way, I'm not saying a Spirit modded wouldn't sound great as well.
I checked with Soundcraft and my tech, tis true.
I know, completely different chassis is misleading, but, it's the circuitry that counts. The Delta comes stock with an easy way to make it have transformer input, but, that's not necessarily a higher standard, just different.
I'm only trying to stick with what the OP asked about, which was a Spirit Recording board, which he had a line on for a cheap price. Depending on the commonly available price, I'd say it can't be approached, not even close, modded it's untouchable, once again, for the money.
The one I own has super usable pre's, summing is awesome, super quiet, super clear, the first thing that comes t mind everytime I fire it up is not "shortcomings", it's "what can this thing do today?".
Old 31st July 2009 | Show parent
  #24
Lives for gear
 
cosmos's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie ➑️
I checked with Soundcraft and my tech, tis true.
I know, completely different chassis is misleading, but, it's the circuitry that counts. The Delta comes stock with an easy way to make it have transformer input, but, that's not necessarily a higher standard, just different.
I'm only trying to stick with what the OP asked about, which was a Spirit Recording board, which he had a line on for a cheap price. Depending on the commonly available price, I'd say it can't be approached, not even close, modded it's untouchable, once again, for the money.
.
i have spare channels from both Ghost & Spirit Studio, they are definitely not the same.. even without looking at the internals, just by listening.. i can be 100% sure that they are not the same chassis or not..

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie ➑️
The one I own has super usable pre's, summing is awesome, super quiet, super clear, the first thing that comes t mind everytime I fire it up is not "shortcomings", it's "what can this thing do today?".
the exact opposite from my experiance with the Spirit, but each to his own, some engineers also hate NS10, some cant live without..

bottom line, if the price is right i think the OP should at least try and not make final decision based on internet forums.. reselling it & maybe he would lose few bucks, happend tons with gear here.. on the other hand he might like it. my .02
Old 31st July 2009 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
memphisindie's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos ➑️
i have spare channels from both Ghost & Spirit Studio, they are definitely not the same.. even without looking at the internals, just by listening.. i can be 100% sure that they are not the same chassis or not..
You should also take a look.
You may also be looking at newer versions than the pieces being discussed here. We're talking about the original 24 x 8 x 2 Spirit recording that was made in the Soundcraft factory, before the ghost was introduced, not the Spirit factory later versions.
I checked with the Soundcraft service before modding mine and the tech who modded it confirmed it, of course, there have been modifications to the circuit to make a ghost a ghost, but, class a/b trans-amp ins and most of it is the same including the chips, caps, and EQ and summing section. The Spirit actually has better specs than the ghost both units stock.
I've cracked mine open and there's plenty of room for mods, you can even mod the output for trannies and discrete opamps, if your're brave you can do the same for the inputs.
Quote:

the exact opposite from my experiance with the Spirit, but each to his own, some engineers also hate NS10, some cant live without..
Mine is modded to the max. stock, I would elect to NOT use the pre's. Modded, they are fine.
Quote:
bottom line, if the price is right I think the OP should at least try and not make final decision based on internet forums.. reselling it & maybe he would lose few bucks, happend tons with gear here.. on the other hand he might like it. my .02
Hey, not everyone likes anything or there would only be ONE board available at ONE price. Some people don't like Neves that go class A/B, some don't like API, some love tascam, some love mackies, I'm not judging I'm explaining what can be done and what to expect if it is or isn't.
I think the OP should go and listen to it. That's how I picked mine, I stuck it next to a Topaz, a Solo Logic, a Tac Scorpion, a Tascam 2500, a Langley BIG, and much later even ab'd one with a Mackie 8 bus.
It was a no brainer, very obvious in a side by side comparison that it was clearer and cleaner than it's competitors. I a/b'd it with a ghost and the ghost was not as clear. That was pre mod. I'd put it up against a Neve for it's summing section right now and I bet it would fair well. You don't like them, that's OK, no one is asking you to, but, I've recorded plenty on mine and no complaints from repeat customers, some of them who usually use Neve an SSL, have for decades and know the difference.
It ain't the board once you pass a very low bar of acceptable, it's the guy driving it.
Old 31st July 2009 | Show parent
  #26
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Well, for what it's worth I'm still under the impression that the Delta, whether originally made for live or not, is the better board pre any mods.......and goes further post mods too......and that Spirit you mean was called Spirit Studio. Gots to have my buttons on them eq's.....
Old 31st July 2009 | Show parent
  #27
Lives for gear
 
cosmos's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie ➑️
It ain't the board once you pass a very low bar of acceptable, it's the guy driving it.
Sure. but were not talking about who & how driving it, its a technical question and one's opinion on it.

- again, each to his own... for me it was waist of money and a Ghost was a big step ahead.... way ahead.

once its modded, its no longer normal Spirit Studio.. were talking different products..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
Well, for what it's worth I'm still under the impression that the Delta, whether originally made for live or not, is the better board pre any mods.......and goes further post mods too......and that Spirit you mean was called Spirit Studio. Gots to have my buttons on them eq's.....
The Delta is far more superior board to the Spirit.. to my ears.
Old 31st July 2009 | Show parent
  #28
Gear Maniac
 
Number 6's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Someone I knew had one, back in the day. Pots got scratchy pretty quickly and the EQ was best used subtractively. A low-budget sound, but served a purpose I guess. These days? Hmm. Probably best avoided.
Old 31st July 2009 | Show parent
  #29
Lives for gear
 
memphisindie's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos ➑️
Sure. but were not talking about who & how driving it, its a technical question and one's opinion on it.

- again, each to his own... for me it was waist of money and a Ghost was a big step ahead.... way ahead.

once its modded, its no longer normal Spirit Studio.. were talking different products..
Definitely once modded, but, even stock the Spirit spec'd better than the ghost, the power supply was so notoriously small that IT was THE biggest problem and conversely the biggest upgrade to both boards in question also they came with the same power supply.
I'd suggest the he get one and get an A&H RPS11 to go with it and judge for himself, I doubt he'd be wiling to sell it if he does.
He'd have to clip the resistors that limit it to -10 operation, and get the bigger supply to compare apples to apples.
Quote:
The Delta is far more superior board to the Spirit.. to my ears.
I don't know, I work on both constantly, I hear a difference, but, the Delta has very limited routing options, nonstarter for someone who's going to need more simultaneous inputs than most budget conscious boutique pre owners will have. Their stock pre's are definitely better, no doubt, but, the Delta's power supply is much better matched stock.
I did some mic mods and used the stock Spirit to test them, some of them took a full 30 seconds to power up. That doesn't happen with those same mics anymore 5 seconds to power up. That says a bit about how underpowered they are stock. The rectifiers are too small /underrated for their job and need to be much larger, the resistor on the voltage regulator needs to be at least double the value and wattage, and the 4700uf supercaps are way too small, more than half size for this board.

If you do get a new supply with one it's good to connect it and measure the voltage and see what it's dialed to before and after, then dial it up to around + & - 17 volts. Makes a big difference. Becomes a whole different animal. I noticed mine was dialed back to 15 volts. Probably why it survived so long. The new supply is at 18 + & - volts. 36 volts of swing for ridiculous headroom even with a full compliment of about 18 phantom powered condensors and dynamics recording live..
Neoteks, Tridents, Soundcrafts, and a ton of other boards use the same TL072/5534 combination, they can use the newer TL2072, or BurrBrown/Analogue Devices upgrades but it changes their sound.
When you had yours, did you unmod the -10 resistors? They definitely behave like crap with that left in place too. Getting rid of it brings it closer to the ghost in output, putting in a new supply passes it, the ghost is also underpowered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 ➑️
Someone I knew had one, back in the day. Pots got scratchy pretty quickly and the EQ was best used subtractively. A low-budget sound, but served a purpose I guess. These days? Hmm. Probably best avoided.
Weird, mine never got scratchy for 15 years of being stock. Of course, I never treated it like a POS so it never became one.
Not-so-new-news-flash: ALL EQ is best used subtractively. dialing it up brings up the noisefloor which makes tracks sound like crap.
Mine has been across the country and it's still livin. There was a guy here in Memphis who had one he took in a van with a recorder an a window unit ac put in his van window, he passed recently, but, almost ALL of what you hear on Beale Street Caravan with Sid Selvidge on sattelite radio was recorded live with one using the stock pre's. FOR YEARS.
Old 1st August 2009 | Show parent
  #30
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Thank you all for the responses and especially the great modding tips, memphisindie

I decided to take the deal and will receive the board next weekend. I'm really looking forward to it, curious how it will turn out. It comes with the original PSU btw, so most likely one of my first task will be to replace it

Thanks,
j
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 8 views: 8554
Avatar for rasaban
rasaban 22nd May 2003
replies: 55 views: 29295
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 13th October 2020
replies: 33 views: 21674
Avatar for DjjmDjjmdm
DjjmDjjmdm 31st October 2016
replies: 1296 views: 176003
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump