Quantcast
If you live where you work.. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If you live where you work..
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you live where you work..

Do you leave the studio on all night? or always switch everything off?
If you are present in the building.

My studio is fairly cool and nothing ever gets overheated...

I've got smoke alarms everywhere and would like to leave the gear on but always think it's too dangerous..is it?

I've heard switching things on and off can be more of a fire risk. Is it?

thank you!!
Old 1st May 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: If you live where you work..

Quote:
Originally posted by Renie
Do you leave the studio on all night? or always switch everything off?
If you are present in the building.

My studio is fairly cool and nothing ever gets overheated...

I've got smoke alarms everywhere and would like to leave the gear on but always think it's too dangerous..is it?

I've heard switching things on and off can be more of a fire risk. Is it?

thank you!!
Hi Renie

I haven't heard that it can be more of a fire risk to power up/down everything. The wisdom I've come across is that gear doesn't live as long if it's constantly being switched on and off. That's the reason there are a lot of studios who leave everything on all the time, even if they don't live there.
Old 2nd May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I live here where I work and have debated this one too. Generally I leave it all on all the time except for when I know I will not be working for three or more days at a time. So far, that has only been the case recently (!!!!Not good!!!!)

I am always amazed at how cool the CR gets when all the gear is down. Actually, now that I think about it, sometimes I do turn off some of the big heat generators (STC-8...) when the studio will be quiet for 36 hours or more. Especially in the summertime, i am in Texas....
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I live where I work and I keep stuff up all the time except when I'm gone on a trip for more than 24 hours.

And about the temperatures, I just moved my computer, drives, and chasis to a closet in another room, and it's amazing at how much cooler things are now and the noise floor is amazing as well.
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't use all the same gear every day - for instance, if I'm mixing, I don't need to have 23 outboard preamps powered up. For that matter, if I'm overdubbing vocals I won't need all those pres either.

So it's really not like I'm switching everything on and off all the time - different things get turned on each day.

So I just shut EVERYTHING down every night. Especially my computer. For some reason if I leave the computer on overnight, but quit Pro Tools, Pro Tools sometimes freezes up when I open it up the next day. Don't ask me why, but it never happens if restart the computer first... I just make sure that I restart any tube stuff at least an hour before the clients arrive.

I've heard both sides of the coin about leaving stuff on prolonging life. Or not.

For me it's more ergonomic to shut down every night, so that's what I do. Otherwise my control room would get so stuffy I'd have to run air conditioning in the winter time.
Old 2nd May 2003
Founder

Like Little Dog, gear gets switched on as it becomes "in use". First thing I do as a freelancer in a lot of studios is switch off all the pretty lights I am NOT using!

I fully believe that gear uses up the "good air" and the less of it on the better...

Old 3rd May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I am one of those persons which actually LIVE in his studio/office.
So... I have to turn off everything so I can get some sleep.

Power On/Off Cycles are the enemies of any gear so many people decides to leave them ON all the time. For computer equipment, just make sure you reboot once in a while.
Old 3rd May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
i sleep in the room with all my gear... so it definitely gets turned off at night. a computer which sounds remarkably similar to a 747 and enough lights to make me think i was being abducted by aliens are not very condusive to sleep... heat is always a problem too. so gear goes off every night.
Old 3rd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Most of the time I've witnessed gear crapping out on me has been when I power it up and an AC spike goes through the gear. I when I leave the studio, I usually leave my computer on so it can scan my drives for any new data and back it up, but I always reboot 1st thing when I come in the next day. The 737's get turned off (as per the manual) but almost everything else stays on.
Old 3rd May 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
All gear stays on here.
Old 3rd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm with Jules .... all unused gear is switched off (except the synths ... they're allways on so the midi setup doesn't get confused) ... everything else is off.

At night everything gets switched off.
Old 4th May 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
e-cue:

"Most of the time I've witnessed gear crapping out on me has been when I power it up and an AC spike goes through the gear."

Hmm.. strikes me that there should be a way to slowly ramp up power to everything, and protect it from hard power spikes at the same time. Kind of a line conditioner/surge protector/ automatic 'power fader' (?). Don't know if anybody makes something that does that, but I wouldn't doubt it exists.
Old 4th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mainly older peices do this. I remeber seeing several older neve comsoles blow caps when re powered, and god knows how many AMS units I've seen take a crap when repowered. You could actually hear the neve caps blow.
Old 4th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I do not live at the stuidio ( well, i dont sleep there, and I have a seprate mortgage, so I guess I don;t live there.. ) but I rarely power down unless I am going out of town for more than 2 days. I do power the tube gear down, but the DMX is allways on. I also let the mac do work after hours, but it gets rebooted first thing in the mornign ( and plenty during the day as well...)

Given that I am mostly digital here, I guess I could power down more, but I got into the habit when I worked at an all analog place, and in particular when working on a record in a room with an old harrison console, the tech told me when I arrived that if I shut it off for the night, it would take the thing 2-3 days to sound "normal" again... d
Old 4th May 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
Most people I know wouldn't be very happy if someone powered down the outboard or the console with their mix on it overnight. I tell my guys, when in doubt, leave it on. Fellow GS member Kent has some good skull-and-crossbones signs he makes with "no touchez vous!" on 'em that he puts all over the console and the rack when there's a mix hanging overnight. Another engineer I know leaves messages like, "You wanna die, touch this desk" or "you f*** widda mix, I breaka yo' face."

Old 4th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jon
Another engineer I know leaves messages like, "You wanna die, touch this desk" or "you f*** widda mix, I breaka yo' face."

I think I've worked with her too. heh
πŸ“ Reply